MLS attendance up 6%

Interesting numbers.

Some notes:

• Cascadian clubs were three of the top four spots (1, 3 and 4)
  • Canadian Clubs are all in the top ten (2, 3 and 7)
  • Seattle's average is about equal to the combined average of the bottom four clubs

For a gate driven league that is very good news. I'm sure the players union will point to this and the new TV deal during the upcoming negotiations.

PacNW still rules the roost. The percent capacity being near full for 6 of the top 8 (LA 75.5% & Montreal 58% due to playing 3 in the BigOwe).

Great to see Canadian teams doing well at the gate. That is crucial for our development. Impact only trail the Caps by 1300 and TFC by 2800 so get some wins happening and that'll close. Most of the teams in the league would kill for Montreal's 19k a game.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Canadian Clubs are all in the top ten (2, 3 and 7)

I am surprised Montreal is so high this year with the team being not great quality. Not saying support is weak because I know the Montreal fans can make a great atmosphere, but I have watched a few games and it seems the stadium is not very full. Maybe it is just those bright blue seats that make it look more empty than it really is.

At the end of the day I am very happy with how attendance in Montreal is going.

Basically, if ~15k is what we get when we are horrid, it means our base level of support is decent. I was afraid we would go much much lower.

If we ever level out and get decent again, we should go back to the top tier very quickly.

The Canadian average is 21,120.  The US average is 18,086.  I find it interesting that similar to the NHL model the Canadian teams earn a disproportionate share of the revenue for the league.

Does anyone know the numbers on league revenue? I wonder what percentage of league revenue is contributed by ticket sales.

• 1 month later...

Good numbers for the Canadian teams, but lots of empty seats at a lot of games for certain US teams. Seems like fudging of the numbers by MLS but like all leagues they do announce tickets distributed not turnstile #'s and that would include comped tickets as well.

Last Chivas USA game they announced 12K and had maybe a few thousand. Chicago, Columbus and others - seems to be the same culprits inflating attendance numbers.

Check out Twitters "empty seats galore" and some of the pics compared to the announced numbers are astounding.

• 2 months later...

Archived