Marco Bustos

• 5 months later...
On 9/14/2015 at 6:41 PM, Soccerpro said:

He plays the same position as Pedro Morales. The man who gets paid $1,000,000 a year to walk back on defence and only worry about the occasional long pass, free kick and corner kick. If Morales was on VW2, would he not have the discipline to play for the Whitecaps? Your argument to me is cherry picking.

Pedro Morales has 11 caps for Chile, Bustos hasn't even gotten his first yet.

*nervous laughter*

Update on Bustos: He made the 18 for last weekends big match against the LA Galaxy. Unfortunately the Caps went down to 10 men early and used two first half substitutions so Marco saw no playing time.

The silver lining for Bustos is that the first half subs were for injuries to two important attacking midfield players in Morales and Manneh. Opportunity knocks for Bustos, probably still wont make the start 11 but he now might legitimately be an offensive substitution late game off the bench.

11 hours ago, Yoginess said:

Update on Bustos: He made the 18 for last weekends big match against the LA Galaxy. Unfortunately the Caps went down to 10 men early and used two first half substitutions so Marco saw no playing time.

The silver lining for Bustos is that the first half subs were for injuries to two important attacking midfield players in Morales and Manneh. Opportunity knocks for Bustos, probably still wont make the start 11 but he now might legitimately be an offensive substitution late game off the bench.

Robinson rates Flores ahead of Bustos (baffling as that may be for anyone outside of Carl's head).  So, don;t expect to see too much from Marco this year.  If he appears in more than 5 MLS games I would be shocked.

Best for him is a coaching change or to move to another club.  It is pretty clear to me as a close observer that Robinson is blinded on this one.

1 hour ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Robinson rates Flores ahead of Bustos (baffling as that may be for anyone outside of Carl's head).  So, don;t expect to see too much from Marco this year.  If he appears in more than 5 MLS games I would be shocked.

Best for him is a coaching change or to move to another club.  It is pretty clear to me as a close observer that Robinson is blinded on this one.

Think this has come up before. Flores is a DM/Box to Box midfielder. He is as you say likely ahead of Bustos for minutes but that is because they are different players that occupy different roles. Robinson does likely rate Flores higher than Bustos as Labas replacement, because Bustos would be terrible. He mainly won't get many minutes in his preferred position because Morales, Mezquida, Bolanos and Froese are ahead of him. Not really an argument there. Jacobson, Teibert and Mckendry also are probably ahead of him too in pushing for minutes although they fit more into a different role to Bustos much like Flores.

I think there is definitely and argument that Bustos could bring something different to the mix but no argument in questioning Robinson on rating Flores. Different players and style of player, fighting for a different spot on the pitch. It is a nasty place to be and a common problem for Canadian talent, they need to get minutes for experience to get better and Canadian players won't start reaching the next level over here until they do...but then every MLS side will predominantly always have better options in the team and will naturally pick those players primarily. Like lots of things in life it is all about timing and the stars aligning for the majority of up and coming Canadians. every now and again one or two will be stand out but for the rest it is a hard road.

As you mentioned the DM slot is not where Bustos is going to be playing. Right now after 5 games it's clearly

1) Laba
2) Jacobson (kind of unfortunate he's been so amazing because Froese wasn't looking too bad.... his wife is Canadian though...)
3) Froese
4) Flores

3 hours ago, Yoginess said:

As you mentioned the DM slot is not where Bustos is going to be playing. Right now after 5 games it's clearly

1) Laba
2) Jacobson (kind of unfortunate he's been so amazing because Froese wasn't looking too bad.... his wife is Canadian though...)
3) Froese
4) Flores

Where would Teibert be in that list (when healthy)? I'm hoping above Jacobson, but my gut tells me below him. Also based on minutes/starts/frequency of games on subs bench, I think Robo rates Flores above Froese. Like I've said elsewhere though, I think he's the only person that does. 

1 hour ago, A_Gagne said:

Where would Teibert be in that list (when healthy)? I'm hoping above Jacobson, but my gut tells me below him. Also based on minutes/starts/frequency of games on subs bench, I think Robo rates Flores above Froese. Like I've said elsewhere though, I think he's the only person that does. 

I think Tiebert is gonna be shopped around or transferred soon or within the next transfer window.  I'm guessing since Jacobsen has come and really settle down, Teibert and Froese are going to be below the pecking order.  Some of us in the Southsider Forum, think that it may be best for Teibert to move on to greener pastures or try to latch on to another MLS team and getting playing time.  He's only in Vancouver, to help the Caps in the salary cap, as well as provide coverage when somebody gets injured, but he's rarely in the starting eleven.  Froese and Flores are going to duke it out for that coveted 3rd DM spot after Jacobsen.  If Flores, miraculously gets better than Froese, than I expect Froese to also be shipped or moved around.

Edit:  A CPL would be great for some of these academy guys that couldn't latch on the starting 18 on an MLS team and are looking for some playing opportunities that aren't USL or NASL.

Edited by nolbertos

I honestly think and have thought for a long while Teibert needs to get out. Problem is getting another club where he won't be in the same position. He is rated and valued at Vancouver but not enough to have him take Laba or Morales spot. It is absolutely a make or break year for him. He needs minutes to grow like everyone else. 

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

I honestly think and have thought for a long while Teibert needs to get out. Problem is getting another club where he won't be in the same position. He is rated and valued at Vancouver but not enough to have him take Laba or Morales spot. It is absolutely a make or break year for him. He needs minutes to grow like everyone else. 

I feel Robinson's efforts towards Canadians is lip service.  I know people will say Fraser Aird.. however, he is only playing because Robinson's preferred choice (jordan smith) sucks.  People can say Froese....   Carl signed Flores to a 5 year deal, seems to indicate he prefers him.  Teibert got routinely selected behind Koffee even when playing more effectively.....  I really don't think Robinson will give Russell the environment to flourish anywhere beyond what he already is, and perhaps just a sub at most.  I think you are correct that Teibert would do well with a new club and a fresh start.  Carl will not give him enough minutes unless there is a serious injury issue to several players.

However, he will throw the captain's armband on Russell in a Canadian Championship match when he plays the USL guys and rests the first team, and say he is a future captain (complete BS under Robinson's watch).

Edited by amanfromvancouver

19 minutes ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I feel Robinson's efforts towards Canadians is lip service.  I know people will say Fraser Aird.. however, he is only playing because Robinson's preferred choice (jordan smith) sucks.  People can say Froese....   Carl signed Flores to a 5 year deal, seems to indicate he prefers him.  Teibert got routinely selected behind Koffee even when playing more effectively.....  I really don't think Robinson will give Russell the environment to flourish anywhere beyond what he already is, and perhaps just a sub at most.  I think you are correct that Teibert would do well with a new club and a fresh start.  Carl will not give him enough minutes unless there is a serious injury issue to several players.

However, he will throw the captain's armband on Russell in a Canadian Championship match when he plays the USL guys and rests the first team, and say he is a future captain (complete BS under Robinson's watch).

I don't think its all lip service from Robbo.  When he signed on, the FDP made it clear to him and give thr younger generation and academy players a chance.  He did just that and gave Maneh, Tiebert, Mattocks and Hurtado plenty of opportunity in 2013, after Camilo left.  The Whitecaps got mixed results.  On one hand, Manneh did OK and Tiebert played decent, but  on thr other hand Mattocks and Hurtado couldn't hit the side of the barn and it became obvious to Robbo that he can't go all youth movement and thus proved to the FDP that Vancouver has a ways to go to get more academy quality MLS players, so short term, he went thr cheap Central and South American route and got great results.  Caps made it to 3rd place last season and made the playoffs, but of course we lacked finishing.  As long as Robbo is here, he'll use the short term route and keep getting cheap South American loans, until the Caps academy starts producing better players.  If Robbo thinks most players aren't MLS starter material, then I trust his judgement.

Thats anoter reason why we have a Whitecaps 2 team, one for the Canadian kids to get better prepared to MLS, two, weed out the academy hopefuls, so they know who's MLS quality and three, start churning out quality players that will impact the team and sell them to Europe.

Edited by nolbertos

18 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

I don't think its all lip service from Robbo.  When he signed on, the FDP made it clear to him and give thr younger generation and academy players a chance.  He did just that and gave Maneh, Tiebert, Mattocks and Hurtado plenty of opportunity in 2013, after Camilo left.  The Whitecaps got mixed results.  On one hand, Manneh did OK and Tiebert played decent, but  on thr other hand Mattocks and Hurtado couldn't hit the side of the barn and it became obvious to Robbo that he can't go all youth movement and thus proved to the FDP that Vancouver has a ways to go to get more academy quality MLS players, so short term, he went thr cheap Central and South American route and got great results.  Caps made it to 3rd place last season and made the playoffs, but of course we lacked finishing.  As long as Robbo is here, he'll use the short term route and keep getting cheap South American loans, until the Caps academy starts producing better players.  If Robbo thinks most players aren't MLS starter material, then I trust his judgement.

Thats anoter reason why we have a Whitecaps 2 team, one for the Canadian kids to get better prepared to MLS, two, weed out the academy hopefuls, so they know who's MLS quality and three, start churning out quality players that will impact the team and sell them to Europe.

Your response to me saying he pays lip service to Canadian players is to provide examples of three non-Canadians that he gave opportunities to?  I was not speaking of young players in general, I was speaking of Canadians.... just to clarify.

I don't like a quota system and don't want Canadians to be forced to play for the sake of it when this is a professional club committed to winning.  I do, however ,feel Robinson leans towards another nationality time and time again when the Canadian is of equal or better value; and yet claims he supports developing Canadians.

He has a heavy interest in players from south of the Rio Grande.....  that's fine, all coaches have their bias of what type of player they want.. just don't insult my intelligence by pretending to support Canadian development when the evidence says other wise.

Let's not even get started on him not even considering Atiba Hutchinson who would be a serious upgrade to our starting 11 and they didn't even make him an offer when he wanted to come back to Canada.

16 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Yeah Teibert is below Jacobson. It's too bad because Russ had a stretch of really good form last year where he looked MLS starting quality. The most "complete" game the Whitecaps have ever had in the eyes of most fans was a 2-0 home win against LA last year. Russell was my MOTM in that game.

As for Carl, he's playing both sides of the coin. He's made it pretty clear he's about developing a positive culture of competition. I don't think you can do that by handing away starts to undeserving Canadian players. He has shown he will give young players starts and will throw them in with the big boys when he thinks they're ready (ex. Froese starting the first game of the season). As a coach I think he's going about it the correct way to balance Whitecaps performance and Canadian development.

I have no problem with him bringing in players like Techera, Mezquida, or Laba. These are 22-25 year old players who are starting quality and make the club team much better, there is no such Canadian player in the system that could do what they do. I do have a problem with when Robinson brought in Flores, 18 (at the time) year old Honduran prospect who had a very similar skill set to Froese. Perhaps you could argue Flores had a higher potential but it was clear he was not starting quality yet and was a development player. This rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way as it put an unnecessary road block in for academy players (of which we actually have several in a DM role too)

12 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

I do, however ,feel Robinson leans towards another nationality time and time again when the Canadian is of equal or better value; and yet claims he supports developing Canadians.

I'm sorry, but I think you're blinded by patriotism. I wish I could agree, but I don't. I'm a huge Canada supporter, but I don't think the 'Caps have ever had a Canadian player that has earned more minutes than they've received. Unfortunately I think Russ has been given more opportunities than his influence on games has ever warranted. They've tried for years to make him the face of the franchise, but he has nowhere near the talent needed to become that player. What possible reason (besides winning and saving money) could Robbo have to bias any other nationality over Canadian?

Let's not even get started on him not even considering Atiba Hutchinson who would be a serious upgrade to our starting 11 and they didn't even make him an offer when he wanted to come back to Canada.

Do you have any proof whatsoever that this is true? Regardless, do you really want to invest in a 2nd DP defensive mid?

On 4/7/2016 at 11:11 AM, C2SKI said:

Atiba himself said he attempted to come to MLS and got insulting offers (or no offers) from the 3 Canadian clubs and so he re-signed in Turkey.  Also, under the radar you can find that the Caps didn't even bother to set up an offer.  Their choice, however, I hope people are starting to realize the error in extending Pedro for another couple of years.

Edited by amanfromvancouver

5 hours ago, amanfromvancouver said:

Out of necessity and not Robinson favoring him.  I hope he does well today!

Unfortunately, Bustos was quite invisible in this game and was subbed out at half time. The entire team was poor though and Bustos touched the ball maybe 3 or 4 times at most. 

10 hours ago, Soccerpro said:

Bustos is a #10 that combines well with teammates in the middle of the park and contributes goals.

He is not a winger. Today, he started on the left wing. No surprise he was invisible.

He may be a #10 in USL but he's going to have to adapt to make it to the next level.  He was really poor last night and he was bullied anytime he competed for a ball.  I was really surprised at how invisible he was as we all know how talented he is.  

There was one play in the first half where Blas Perez took a shot instead of playing in Bustos and really being available for that ball was probably the standout moment in his performance...