Marco Bustos

we seem to have a number of young players who think very highly of themselves but rarely deliver on the field as youngsters and end up being ordinary players as adults.

I agree. There seems to be a big disparity between the size of the ego and the amount of talent among some of our top prospects. I think alot of it has to do with the "big fish in a small pond" scenario that plays out in our youth club environments where some players are so much better than the rest.

The Canadian Messi, soccer jesus, we are starting to get some good nicknames, maybe that will get more youngsters playing.  I always thought the super cool haircuts were another good reason for 14 year olds to pick soccer over baseball or basketball.  Here are some more sugesstions, Piette=BABY HULK, Osorio=Man with no name (Clint from spahetti western).  

I'm pretty sure Bustos himself was the only person who ever called him the "Canadian Messi". I won't deny that he's a good prospect, but seriously kid, 7 goals in USL at 19 yrs old doesn't make you a rockstar... it makes you a prospect. Kid could go on to have a good career, or he could flop and be out of the game by 24 for all he knows. I suspect middle of the road MLS midfielder is probably his potential.

I agree. There seems to be a big disparity between the size of the ego and the amount of talent among some of our top prospects. I think alot of it has to do with the "big fish in a small pond" scenario that plays out in our youth club environments where some players are so much better than the rest.

I've heard a number of coaches and veterans in the Canadian game make similar comments over the years - i.e. a lot of young Canadian players get inflated egos playing subpar competition, and develop weak mentalities as a result. Paul James comes to mind as one, but I've heard other say this as well.

Edited by A_Gagne

Now that TFC has a USL Pro team the players on the senior academy team in L1O are younger and they're not blowing teams out like they did last year. TFCA are mid-table so it is likely better competition for them than playing USSDA where they would be one of the top teams.

Now that TFC has a USL Pro team the players on the senior academy team in L1O are younger and they're not blowing teams out like they did last year. TFCA are mid-table so it is likely better competition for them than playing USSDA where they would be one of the top teams.

I'd like to see TFC in USSDA. Not only is it strong competition, but it requires the young players to travel all around North America (to an extent) like the pros. I think there's a lot of benefit to going in to play MLS youth academies on a regular basis. I'm not ready to anoint TFC a probable top team if they joined USSDA. They might be, but who knows. Other teams don't treat the generation cup as seriously as TFC does.

Some Bustos highlights for those that haven't seen a lot of him. There is a cockiness about this kid that I think is unique from other Canadian players that will suit him well in the future.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/09/03/bustos-1-v-1?hootPostID=ece45ee055c246752e9d6468515e11b0

You can see his cockiness on the pitch. The back heels, trying cheeky flick goals. Things our players would never dream of. It's a great thing.

You can see his cockiness on the pitch. The back heels, trying cheeky flick goals. Things our players would never dream of. It's a great thing.

That has got to change. Seeing Bustos do thise moves ahould be ingrained in rhe DNA of ALL future Canadian Nats players, not necessarily be of Latino descent. I'm hopeful that the Caps are implementing that with the youth team using the Latino players on the team as templates for youth to follow. Bustos gained all that knowledge playing in the Latin leagues of Winnipeg growing up. Its a matter of having fun and improvising moves.

Edited by nolbertos

Some Bustos highlights for those that haven't seen a lot of him. There is a cockiness about this kid that I think is unique from other Canadian players that will suit him well in the future.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2015/09/03/bustos-1-v-1?hootPostID=ece45ee055c246752e9d6468515e11b0

Yes, but how does it fare against the other Chilean players?  (sorry, last one :) )

Edited by madmonte

I don't want to hijack the topic but this has been one of my complaints. Except for GC 2007 - The lack of creativity and talent to pull off little cheeky quick intellectual give and go's has frustrated me. Is it because our Cdn players don't have the attacking instinct OR is it because this kind of play is frowned upon and prohibited in the Cdn simpleton system OR is it because most of our players don't have the same rhythm or mindset to play this style with someone with this ability?

I don't want to hijack the topic but this has been one of my complaints. Except for GC 2007 - The lack of creativity and talent to pull off little cheeky quick intellectual give and go's has frustrated me. Is it because our Cdn players don't have the attacking instinct OR is it because this kind of play is frowned upon and prohibited in the Cdn simpleton system OR is it because most of our players don't have the same rhythm or mindset to play this style with someone with this ability?

Just ask Benito "If we try to score we'll fail and get scored on" Floro