Marco Bustos

Edit: I don't understand why the link doesn't work.

For those interested, go to the home page, http://d10.paraguay.com/ press Ctrl + F then write Sampaoli.

I realized the title alone is misleading without translating the whole news. Sampaoli is looking from U20 players outside of Chile to get a look at them. It seems this project if for January and Bustos was mentioned. 

Edited by canucklefan

I read that in the Chilean newspapers. You could've linked the other major Chilean newspapers for a link. It says Sampaoli wants to have a U-19 mini-camp in 2016 with 22-24 foreign born Chilean players attending. The reason he's doing that is because Chile's youth teams are weak compared to other countried and he has to maintain that high generational level of national team players that they have now and his solution is asking players born from Chilean father or mothers, if they would be interested in playing for Chile. I'm sure he realizes that poaching is the norm around the world and why not try. Guess this will test Bustos loyalty, but I'll wager he attends the Chile camp and see what happens. Until he's definitely cap-tied, he's free to go anywhere and Canada should've cap tied him ages ago. Also I don't know if Bustos could beat the other foregin born players. Some of them play 1st division teamsin Sweden, Switzerland and denmark, compared to USL with Bustos.

Does anybody remember when I posted on here about meeting him face-to-face at the Caps open practice and asking him post-Chile callup if he sees himself playing for Canada again, which took him off guard, and he kind of shrugged and then despondantly said, "yeah, I guess."

If we are meant to count on that kind of enthusiam and dedication to build a more exciting and dynamic national team (also Cavallini fits this mold perfectly) then I think I am okay playing defensively sound borefests for the next infinite number of years.

Edited by nolando

Does anybody remember when I posted on here about meeting him face-to-face at the Caps open practice and asking him post-Chile callup if he sees himself playing for Canada again, which took him off guard, and he kind of shrugged and then despondantly said, "yeah, I guess."

If we are meant to count on that kind of enthusiam and dedication to build a more exciting and dynamic national team (also Cavallini fits this mold perfectly) then I think I am okay playing defensively sound borefests for the next infinite number of years.

The problem is, he is the exact type of player we need in order to make it back to the World Cup. Offensively dynamic, technical, real pro quality. He's good enough to be in MLS right now, with a sky high ceiling of potential. Edited by Soccerpro

Let's not start the Bustos thing again.  I'm not going to get worked up or slag a guy who's represented Canadian youth national times 15 times including the U-20 Concacaf championships this year. 

This kinds of rumors and speculation are not good for the Canadian program.  Bustos has a nice future with the Canadian program and I'm sure he'll be getting cap tied in the January winter camp.

I've always stated that Bustos is with Canada because we're the backup choice and not his first choice. And knowing Sampaoli, he'll probably call various players including Bustos for a camp. The problem with these kinds of rumours and speculations is that it leads its way to Bustos and other players ears and obviously they could be ecstatic for a call-up. Let's just way and see how this plays out. If Bustos gets cap tied to Chile, then his heart was never for Canada, for various reasons that we all know why most players don't want to represent Canada and its not just the FIFA rankings and us being minnows either.

Now that you mention it, i do. That really does seem to be the attitude of some kids these days and the only way it changes is if we get better. The only way to get better is if guys like Bustos play for us and raise our skill level in the final third. I still hope and want this kid to play for us despite this shit with Chile.

Let's be clear, the article only speculates about Bustos, throwing his name in there at the end. The writer of the article simply states Bustos is a possibility, and then goes on to misrepresent his playing level. So this really is nothing more than an uninformed speculation.

Bustos can't reasonably be capped until he gets minutes in MLS. Let's hope that happens soon.

Edited by BrennanFan

This is where I get a little pissed off with Floro's selections. He calls in Petrasso, who hasn't done anything noteworthy recently, when he could have called in a cap tied Bustos, who is in good form in the USL and is knocking on the door for first team minutes in MLS.

You could argue that QPR is a better level than Whitecaps but Bustos is much closer to first team football than Petrasso.

Would be nice for Floro to be more strategic with his call ups. I guess Petrasso is better for us right now than Bustos? So much so that Floro is willing to forego the chance to tie Bustos down?

I don't understand such things....

Edited by Obinna

Bustos will get his chance when he is ready and starts playing football at a higher level. Petrasso was laid off injured after he returned from a very successful loan last February until the UK pre-season in July, before which he has 39 games at a higher level than anything Bustos has been exposed to and arguably would be even playing in the MLS. He hasn't done anything noteworthy recently because his season has just started and QPR have a stacked squad, I'd expect him to be loaned out or expected to get a chance at first team once the transfer window closes on Tuesday.

I understand the sentiment at giving Bustos a shot given his form but its a low level and he has plenty of time on his side. If we were worried about Chile calling we would have cap tied him, might also be having to work his way back into the CSA's good graces too. Petrasso has earned his spot through his experience nationally and domestically and is back fully fit.  

I would be more worried about why Froese or Carreiro is ignored than Bustos. Or most importantly how Kyle Bekker gets into the squad, EVER.

Edited by toontownman

Petrasso has played well in League One stints which is far above USL level, arguments could be made either way. I'm very curious to see where Petrasso is at because unless you're connected, info is very hard to get out of the European soccer scene if it isn't a top club.

As for toontownman's comment on Carrerio or Froese, the answer is easy. Carrerio has 3 games this season(all subs I think) with Dundee and is in a position of depth for Canada, if we're talking players that are going to be called, Osorio would be taken well before Carrerio. Froese hasn't been that impressive to be honest and as far as depth goes Petrasso is basically in the same spot to Froese so it's one or the other.

Petrasso has played well in League One stints which is far above USL level, arguments could be made either way. I'm very curious to see where Petrasso is at because unless you're connected, info is very hard to get out of the European soccer scene if it isn't a top club.

As for toontownman's comment on Carrerio or Froese, the answer is easy. Carrerio has 3 games this season(all subs I think) with Dundee and is in a position of depth for Canada, if we're talking players that are going to be called, Osorio would be taken well before Carrerio. Froese hasn't been that impressive to be honest and as far as depth goes Petrasso is basically in the same spot to Froese so it's one or the other.

Froese has had some poor games, when the rest of the team was also poor (Champions vs Sounders), but has also done very well a few others. I think he is still a project though, and he is clearly inexperienced. I agree that Petrasso has a better resume so worth seeing what he can do.

The answer to all above questions is simple, call players that have already done friendlies and camps, and understand the system with so much on the line.  That's why Osorio's name was mentioned more than any other as the guy they couldn't understand in regards to Bekker.

But yeah, when it comes to the last few spots on a roster, I fully agree, take a chance and get a couple guys that ARE new into the camp training.  Not everyone has to be familiar with the system, and can be on the roster when they aren't even necessarily going to get the chance to play.  EVERY camp called can be an opportunity to get someone new involved and potentially cap-tied when you have that view.

Personally, I would aggressively cap tie all players with other options. Who cares if Bustos jumps the queue for a match against Belize? Cap him in the last 5 minutes and then send him to the back of the line. The only thing Colin Miller ever accomplished as MNT manager is doing this with Aleman. Every other nation is aware of this issue, we are being naive if we ignore it.

^ yes exactly.

It is not a disrespect to Petrasso in any way. Great player and bright future. BUT Floro could wrap Bustos up like Miller did with Aleman. Imagine if he never - with Aleman now playing in Costa Rica he would certainty be a Tico by now.

Edited by Obinna

^ yes exactly.

It is not a disrespect to Petrasso in any way. Great player and bright future. BUT Floro could wrap Bustos up like Miller did with Aleman. Imagine if he never - with Aleman now playing in Costa Rica he would certainty be a Tico by now.

Aleman was approached by CR before he was cap-tied, and said no thanks.