• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ummm.. yes, definitely. No doubt...

This makes me feel even better about our national team.  Bustos figures he has a better shot with Chile than us.  I think maybe someone has been reading too much of his own CPL "hype" articles.  

One has to assume that it's some sort of effort from his agent to attract Canada's interest for future competitive games. There's just no way he'd ever play a game for Chile. Either way good luck to h

Posted Images

Glad to have Bustos back for another season. I think we’ll be competitive next season, but it’s still discouraging that we’ve yet to provide a multi season contract to anyone considering our supposed strategy of developing and selling young players. How can we ever expect to make a profit on players when we won’t even commit to them

• 1 month later...

https://canpl.ca/article/bustos-embracing-opportunity-with-different-canmnt-theyre-playing-to-win-now?ref=https%3A//t.co/GknwL0Aet4%3Famp%3D1

“It’s obviously different than the last time I was with the national team, there’s a lot of detail put into training, meetings,” he explained. “It’s actually a big change… getting a call-up isn’t just given, you have to earn it.”

Bustos added: “You see it in the way the national team plays; they’re playing to win now. I think that’s a big difference too, where before, and watching for many years, when you play big teams it’s playing not to lose, almost — sitting back, soaking pressure.

“Now you see, the last few games against the United States especially, it’s a team that has a lot of attacking qualities. And that doesn’t just happen overnight or with the snap of a finger, it comes down to details put into meetings and training sessions that obviously helps the team.”

I'm perhaps a bit biased, but that far post curler that he's mastered is one of the sexier finishes out there. I'm looking forward to seeing him against stronger competition. He's a fantastic CPL player, but I worry he lacks the physicality to play on the wing for this fast paced Canada team. From the scrimmage highlights it looked like he might have been playing more as a 10. He had a fair bit of the ball at the top of the 18, which is exactly where you want him.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I'm perhaps a bit biased, but that far post curler that he's mastered is one of the sexier finishes out there. I'm looking forward to seeing him against stronger competition. He's a fantastic CPL player, but I worry he lacks the physicality to play on the wing for this fast paced Canada team. From the scrimmage highlights it looked like he might have been playing more as a 10. He had a fair bit of the ball at the top of the 18, which is exactly where you want him.

He is too slow to play the wing; he needs to play the 10 if he is going to play anywhere

15 hours ago, An Observer said:

He is too slow to play the wing; he needs to play the 10 if he is going to play anywhere

He played on the wing for Pacific, but he played mostly as an inverted winger. He's relatively quick, if not flat out fast. That wing was very good for us. Maybe the best right side in the league, but they rarely took defenders on out wide, as both Bustos and Kadin Chung are prone to cutting inside instead. One of the reasons Terran Campbell struggled last season compared to 2019.

Edited by Aird25

Inverted winger because he has no speed to beat anyone out wide??  Even Robben had to go outside now and again or FB stop buying the cut in to the left foot (ie only foot).  Bustos isnt getting any faster, but he is plenty tricky and a good finisher, he needs to get better in the middle, work on the play making and passing as he gets older.  Even in the CPL he wont have the speed to keep the FB from overplaying him on the wing.