Canada U-20 camp May 10-18

Blackdude

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyle Bekker played at Ajax with their U19 (A1) squad. There have also been some kids trial at Mallorca (Manjrekar James and 2 kids from the '97 age group).

I agree that elite prospects should spend no more than 2 years in college. More than that is a waste. I also believe that for an 18 yr old playing a 4 month season of NCAA as a freshman and then moving on is probably an experience that could only be surpassed by playing first team football at a decent pro level.

Here's an article about Canada at the milk cup:

http://www.dalefarmmilkcup.com/elite-section/china-canada-gear-up-for-milk-cup-challenge.html

Canada's first ever appearance at the Milk Cup will provide new coach Robert Gale with his first challenge since taking up the reins at the beginning of this month.

Gale, who had spells with Fulham and Wycombe Wanderers as a player, has been in charge of Canada's under-16s, 17s and 18s and is excited by the Milk Cup challenge.

“First of all, it gives our group tournament experience which is huge before going into World Cup qualifying. It's the first time that the group will be together in a tournament combining our U-18 group with the U-17s who went to the U-17 World Cup in 2013 so it will be a chance to assimilate them and really test ourselves in the rhythm of competition,” says Rob.

“We feel that we can be as competitive as anybody there and it's also a great opportunity for individuals to test themselves against other elite players. It's also an opportunity to showcase individual talent.”

It would not be so far fetched for Orlando City to pull a Alain Rochat move and sign Larin to a front-loaded contract before they hit MLS. 

You compared a Swiss 1st division veteran to a guy who has never played a game at the pro level. I can't even see that happening. I'm sure there are rules against something like that of happening. The player who probably doesn't have a Green Card. I'm not 100% sure, but if Larin tried a move like that, he would have to go through the Weighted Lottery system anyways.

No, Orlando is not in MLS yet, they can completely do the Rochat move here. They've already signed some of their young residency guys, why not sign the best young striking prospect in NCAA?

He's not on their territory. Sign a young residency that was at your club and was on your territory is one thing. Signing an NCAA eligible player would be another. Rochat was a totally different thing from many aspects because he was a pro that was at a club and Vancouver signed the player. They could do a move like that for another player, but NCAA players must go undrafted to be signed as free agents. I knew we talked a lot about Larin, but he wasn't in the last SuperDraft. If Orlando did a move like that, they would lose him ala Cody Arnoux.

Archived