Canada U-20 camp May 10-18

Blackdude

That team looks good but what is even more exciting is that you could put together a U20 XI with players missing from this camp that would be just as good.  At first glance we're missing Aparicio, Hamilton, Adekugbe, Gasparotto, Haynes, Carducci, Boakai, Elva Caniggia, Aleksic.. Probably 4-5 starters there.

Also hope this kid gets a look:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This roster seems much less MLS academy based than the past couple of iterations. Not that that's a bad thing... probably a good thing, i.e. broader talent identification.

I don't think so. It seems the same compared to other U-20 teams from the recent past. It's not the U17 where most kids need to stay in Canada. Some have found a place to play abroad and moved like Petrasso and Carreiro who were TFC Academy members prior their QPR move.

Well, have to same I am pleasantly surprised to see no less than 3 boys from MB on the list. Been a long time since that sort of thing has been the case at any level.

Never heard of Enriqea before, but here is a nice write up on him from a small town rag.

http://www.interlaketoday.ca/2013/06/07/small-town-soccer-player-reaches-big-time-dreams

The more interesting point is that he attended Glenlawn Collegiate. They have a provincially funded soccer focused high school program where daily training is part of a students life.

It would seem Enriqea is a product of this program.

Unfortunately he's going to college and "hopes" to get scouted by MLS or NCAA. By the time he's done with that he'll be 23 and he'll have no chance to reach really high anymore.

Someone forgot to tell Graham Zusi he couldn't go to NCAA and be the best player in the league I guess.  And the countless other MLS stars who have come through NCAA.

The U20s tied Fort Lauderdale 2-2 yesterday.  Saw it on Daniel Milton's twitter so all I know is that he played one half and had a clean sheet. Good result for a less than full strength U20 team to draw the NASL leaders.

https://twitter.com/FTLStrikers/status/466623729590861826

Yeah great, an example. All over the world kids start playing professionally at age 17-18 at some level. Ok let's make it 19-20. Your one example (or other "great MLS-players") doesn't prove anything, and fails to explain why MLS clubs get beaten by Mexican sides every single time. Or are you now going to point out that they did manage to win once?

Yeah great, an example. All over the world kids start playing professionally at age 17-18 at some level. Ok let's make it 19-20. Your one example (or other "great MLS-players") doesn't prove anything, and fails to explain why MLS clubs get beaten by Mexican sides every single time. Or are you now going to point out that they did manage to win once?

When did we start talking about MLS clubs?  We're talking about a single player's career.  The reason that MLS clubs can't beat FMF clubs has very little to do with the NCAA.  Graham Zusi scored the goal that put Mexico into the World Cup btw.  Sure it's preferred that a player begins playing at 17-18 but if a kid wants to get their education don't write them off.  To say a player has no chance at age 23 after they're out of college clearly isn't true, that's the point. 

The better question that we'll never know is: would Zusi be a better player if he went the academy route?  My answer would be yes, but then again we never know. 

Compare Will Johnson to Graham Zusi for example.  Will Johnson has been a "name" since he was 18 years old as he was playing professional then.  By age 21 he was a star for us at the 2008 Olympic qualifiers and joined Salt Lake shortly after.  Zusi didn't even make his pro debut until 5 years ago at age 23.  Now though, despite being a year older Zusi has developed far more over the past 5 years and turned into the best player in the league.  Now if he went the pro route would he have just reached that ceiling earlier or surpassed it?  IMO I think every athlete has a ceiling and a time frame to reach it.  You see European players peak far earlier than our North American players because all the potential has been oozed out of them at an earlier age. 

Look at the US squad.  You'll be hard pressed to find a non-patriated German that didn't spend time in the NCAA and most of that squad started professionally at 21 after going the NCAA route.

While NCAA is not the greatest development tool, to disregard it completely is just dumb.  It's another place for Canadians to develop, because I'm not sure if you noticed but European clubs aren't banging down our door to sign our kids.

Yeah great, an example. All over the world kids start playing professionally at age 17-18 at some level. Ok let's make it 19-20. Your one example (or other "great MLS-players") doesn't prove anything, and fails to explain why MLS clubs get beaten by Mexican sides every single time. Or are you now going to point out that they did manage to win once 

And to think Zusi wouldn't even make my list of good players who played in the NCAA…

Eric Wynalda, Kasey Keller, Paul Stalteri, Brad Friedel, Ryan Nelsen, Neven Subotic, Brian McBride, Shaka Hislop, Carlos Bocanegra, Clint Dempsey, Steve Cherundolo, Veded Ibisevic, Claudio Reyna, Eddie Pope, John Harkes, Davey Weir, Shalrie Joseph...

I'm not saying the NCAA is the best route of developing pros, but it doesn't kill careers either. Athletes at NCAA programs have much better facilities to train in than MLS teams. Would Cyle Larin be better off scoring goals in games that have significance in the Big East or training under and with professionals and not really playing at all, beyond time in the MLS reserve league? There's positive and negatives to both, but the UConn guys, Huitema, the guys in the Big 10… they're getting decent competition, training at great facilities and playing a lot of games. I don't think they're ruining their prospects for the future.

cheers,

matthew

Look at the US squad.  You'll be hard pressed to find a non-patriated German that didn't spend time in the NCAA and most of that squad started professionally at 21 after going the NCAA route.

While NCAA is not the greatest development tool, to disregard it completely is just dumb.  It's another place for Canadians to develop, because I'm not sure if you noticed but European clubs aren't banging down our door to sign our kids.

And to add to that sure it's not like you're in Ajax academy but at the same time these universities are multi million dollar operations that put a huge emphasis on sports and while your teammates aren't professional the coaches are, it's not like some parents are coaching these guys.

I wasn't as big on NCAA as I am now because the development procedure now has many kids playing with their academies anyway when the school year is over.  So they're getting two perspectives on coaching over the course of a full year and they even get to practice with MLS first teams if they're good enough.  The system now is even better than what guys like Zusi and Dempsey had at their age and I'm sure it will only get better as the popularity of soccer grows in North America these schools will put even more $ into their programs. 

I don't think so. It seems the same compared to other U-20 teams from the recent past. It's not the U17 where most kids need to stay in Canada. Some have found a place to play abroad and moved like Petrasso and Carreiro who were TFC Academy members prior their QPR move.

Yes. Most of these kids seem to have gotten their start in the MLS academies even if they are not there now. Comsia, Duncan, Cabrera and Huitema were all part of the whitecaps.

Victor Montagliani was interviewed on team 1040 on Tuesday. He said that Fraser Aird was at the U20 camp to get a feel for the squad. It did not sound to me like he has committed 100%, but is just checking out the situation. If you want to listen to the interview for yourself, you can find it on the team 1040 website. Under multimedia, choose the podcast for the sekeras and price show from Tuesday. Hour 3. About 35 minutes in I think.

I'm not sure if that is just me being pessimistic. Curious to know what other people think.

thats what I got too. But that's not a bad step. The fact is he got on a plane and flew halfway around the world to see what it's all about. Good to see.

He also got a free trip to Florida, so it's not like he went too far out of his way.

I'm a glass half-empty kinda guy though.

I don't think a free trip to Florida is a big cherry for a professional soccer player, especially when it's to go play more soccer in the offseason. It's not like he's at a resort for a week. It's more like a business traveller flying their from Scotland to do work for a week.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "not like he went too far out of his way" comment. 6 time zones and a couple thousand miles seems a good deal out of his way. I'd tend to agree more if he was attending a camp in Europe, but that's a decent hike for a guy playing in Scotland. With that said, baby steps, hopefully a good first sign.

I don't think a free trip to Florida is a big cherry for a professional soccer player, especially when it's to go play more soccer in the offseason. It's not like he's at a resort for a week. It's more like a business traveller flying their from Scotland to do work for a week.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "not like he went too far out of his way" comment. 6 time zones and a couple thousand miles seems a good deal out of his way. I'd tend to agree more if he was attending a camp in Europe, but that's a decent hike for a guy playing in Scotland. With that said, baby steps, hopefully a good first sign.

I agree.

He is going to NARSA in Toronto in  June so i doubt that he came for the free trip as it stands its a trip Florida and back and then to Toronto. Doesn't sound like fun travelling so I doubt he comes if he didn't want to.

Also if it were about free trips, he had an option to play soccer with Rangers in Hong Kong too. 

Given this is a board is for supporters of our national teams, the NCAA route won't lead to the national team for the 99%. As quoted by a Sigma person in the article, the majority of Sigma players will go to college, play 4 years, get a degree and that's it.

For their 1% who aren't just yet ready for Europe, NCAA means playing at a top school for 1-2 years and moving on. This is a potential pool for the national team just like the top guys in the NBA & NFL now usually play 1-2 years in the NCAA. Otherwise, as Sigma says NCAA is for late bloomers which is the category Zusi falls under as he wasn't a first round pick. He also played in the USL while in the college which offsets one of NCAA's weak points of no year round and limits on training.

Another good point raised by Sigma is that the 99% should benefit development of the future 1% as those who don't play after college can contribute as future coaches, doctors, marketing experts, admins etc.. for Canadian soccer.

Part 1 of the Sigma article series says they also showcase for Euro clubs such as Tottenham, Ajax, Celtic, Mallorca etc.. but has any of their players made it over to these clubs?

Archived