Toronto FC vs Vancouver Whitecaps FC - May 7th 4:30PM PT - 7:30PM ET

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

True about the skill. Here's how I rated the Canadian contingent for the Caps.

Carducci was indecisive and didn't communicate well with his CBs. Some good stops and positioning on shots was very good.

Alderson was the best of the 4 new canuck guys. Needs to put more on the passes. More D work needed.

Froese didn't play very well. Quite a few bad passes. Judging the conditions is important.

Bustos got pushed around a bit. Focus on better passes.

Teibert was the best Canadian we had on the pitch. Also one of our best players tonight.

That being said it was the first time for 4 of them at this level and they were okay. Rust, nerves, very young and lack of familiarity with team mates accounts for a lot of it. They have a ways to go but they are ready to get a shot at this level. Now that they can see what this level is like hopefully they'll double down on practice!

I hope the same squad starts next week except put Salgado up top to start and throw Hurtado at them late. Great of Manneh to snag us an away goal.

Nelsen is going to make me go bald. 

So we make no subs and sit on our hands typical TFC style "oh, we're up well let's wait for something to happen".  Let's be PROACTIVE instead of REACTIVE for just ONCE. 

Of course Vancouver makes their subs and then suddenly I see Fran O'Leary walk over with our sub.  Like come on.  Did we need a reminder that we're playing a team full of young legs and maybe we could use a fresh injection?  Did we forget we had that option? 

So that's just the start of my frustration... we sub ISSEY off?!  The guy we rested on the weekend after he was our best player against Dallas can't even get a full 90?!  It's not like he was fading, hell he was getting better as the match went on and was our best player.  HOW ABOUT SUBBING GILBERTO OFF FOR DERO?! Was that not a painfully obvious choice?  Clearly feeding the guy balls and minutes isn't working for him.  Treat him how he would get treated in any PROFESSIONAL environment in the world, hit the bench!!

Nelsen has to go.  You can't be that dumb and coach this team, you just can't. 

As for the Caps I'll say this:

- Reo-Coker royally pissed off Robinson to be put at RB.  As we all know he didn't "trip" walking around Vancouver.

- Teibert was the best player, no doubt.  Worst hair in the league, but best player tonight for Vancouver.  Thought he was really impressive in the middle.  There were a few times when he would get the ball at midfield with space to run into and he looked dangerous but nothing came of it, he needs to make a quicker decision on what he's going to do.

- Froese wasn't good at all which is to be expected.  I was wondering who 38 was and thinking he was weak all game until I realized it was him, so I didn't give him a "Canadian discount"

- Carducci was about what I expected, can't fault the kid. 

- Alderson looked good.  Looks to me like a player that is ready for pro minutes whether that be in MLS or NASL.  You could see him gain confidence as the match went on. 

The Vancouver team that played last Saturday would have smoked TFC. Anyone know what are Vancouver's plans for the return leg? Will they dress a full line up? The only way TFC still has a chance in this is if they go with the kids again. And even than who knows.

I was never a fan of the Nelsen hiring. And he isn't really doing much to change my mind. Even yesterday he was out coached by a team playing its young reserves. He won't get fired over the Voyageur's Cup but he will have to start getting this team playing better if he is to survive the end of the season.

The game was very disjointed. But I loved the passion on display.

Issey is a revelation for TFC. I don't know how he can stay out of the TFC line up. The attack is always way more dynamic when he plays.

I feel a little bit ripped off as a TFC fan over Bradley. It appears that he is coasting because he doesn't want to get injured before the World Cup. He finally turned it on in the last 20 minutes yesterday and was the dominant player we expected. The US World Cup camp begins assembling on May 14. I wonder if he will even be with TFC for the return leg.

And then there's Gilberto. I think its safe to start his departure watch. He does everything right except score. For the amount he is being paid he has to score though.

Vancouver's future looks bright. Obviously most of the young player's from last night aren't truly ready for MLS primetime, but the potential is there. I would be excited if I was a Whitecaps fan.

Interesting to compare these

As for the Caps I'll say this:

- Froese wasn't good at all which is to be expected.  I was wondering who 38 was and thinking he was weak all game until I realized it was him, so I didn't give him a "Canadian discount"

Froese didn't play very well. Quite a few bad passes. Judging the conditions is important.

Bustos got pushed around a bit. Focus on better passes.

With Robbo's quotes:

Carl Robinson on young players:

"Froese played very well and that’s credit to him. I saw the kid play last year as an assistant coach and I wanted to give him the chance. Because how do you find out when they are ready? You find out when they are ready when you give them the opportunity. I am delighted they played a strong team because that is the level we need to learn. You see Michael Bradley’s running power in the 89th minute and you see Jermaine Defoe’s finishing in the first half."

Carl Robinson on Marco Bustos:

[On Team 1410] "Great, talented player. [He] Understands the game. He was winning free kicks, he was causing the right back a lot of problems."

Carl Robinson on Kianz Froese:

[On Team 1410] "I think Kianz was a little bit special today, I have to say. I think he came of age and that's easy to say for a 17 year old, but he grew in stature and in front of the Canadian national team manager, Benito was here."

I laughed at that part of the interview. Needless to say at least 2 of us disagree with Robbo's game eval of 2 players. Both have loads of talent but got pushed around and made a lot of bad passes. I'm hoping they get to play next week. Now that they know what to expect and have some time to go over game video I'm sure they'll play better.

As far as Caps Canucks go I stay by my rating Teibert was the best, Alderson distant second and Bustos/Froese distant third/fourth. Nothing insurmountable just more experience at that level is what is required. They are still very young, I mean Teibert is the elder of the group for goodness sake :)

Carducci being keeper gets rated differently. Judgement on when to go for the ball will come and the conditions with the wind didn't lend itself to accurately judging ball flight but like the others he is 17 so lots of time to improve. I can already see why they let Thomas go.

With the women playing in Winnipeg tonight I am in full hometown mode, so I'll point out that both Kianz Froese and Marco Bustos are Winnipeg boys, or at least sort of.

WinnipegFury would be so proud and rightly so. They mentioned that on the game a few times. Good to see the Caps looking across the whole west and not just the lower mainland for talent. They have a couple of Sask kids in the system as well.

Robbo said probably the same group next week because they earned it. I'd agree. It will be interesting to see how the 4 new Canadians do their second time out in front of a home crowd.

I think that's a mistake on Vancouver's part.

Is the same thing a lot of people said this week...

And had Vancouver played a similar line up to Saturday's they would probably be heading into the 2nd leg with a road win, and a clear advantage.

TFC still advances with a tie or win next week.

And had Vancouver played a similar line up to Saturday's they would probably be heading into the 2nd leg with a road win, and a clear advantage.

Maybe, but I think TFC played this much of this game in 2nd gear in part because they saw the line-up that Vancouver produced. I'm not saying they should have played it in 2nd gear, but that's what I think they did. For example, on the goal-line clearance by Henry look how many players are just standing around watching the play as a built up - a classic sign of not being "up" for something & going all out and not really taking things as seriously as they should. This isn't an excuse by the way, it's a criticism.

On the other hand, the increasing lack of cohesion between certain teammates as the season progresses is both bizarre and not something that I think can be put down to being half-arsed about it. It seems like Gilberto in particular continually is further off the same page as all of his teammates.

It seems like Gilberto in particular continually is further off the same page as all of his teammates.

So, I wonder how long it will be before DeRo starts becoming an unhappy camper should he remain on the bench?  It's TFC, so there's always some drama not far around the corner.

Archived