FC Edmonton vs Montreal Impact - May 7th 19:30 MT - 21:30 ET

It appears that Sportsnet will be broadcasting this game, and the Toronto vs Vancouver game that precedes it, on Sportsnet One which is at least better than having it on Sportsnet World.

Will there be any travelling away support for the Impact coming to visit us for this?    

It appears that Sportsnet will be broadcasting this game, and the Toronto vs Vancouver game that precedes it, on Sportsnet One which is at least better than having it on Sportsnet World.

Will there be any travelling away support for the Impact coming to visit us for this?    

I think the broadcasting schedule is good news. I happen to have access to Sportsnet One. I think it is part of Rogers VIP subscription package.

I was seriously going to go..until,work got in the way. I do know of one Impact supporter from Red deer(ish) who is going.

From Montreal: Two players who were injured are on the roster: Sanna Nyassi and Henan Bernardello. While two are not put on the roster: Nelson Rivas and Adrian Lopez. Academy player Jérémy Gagnon-Laparé is also on the V's Cup team.

If Edmonton really wants to take a shot at it, they should go for a 0-0 at home. Considering they can defend that wouldn't be out of the question. 0-0 at home and sneak in a goal in Montreal and advance afther a 1-1 draw there. 

In all honesty though, I'd put my money on the Impact. But I have to say if there one thing Montreal doesn't like to do, is play a possession game, which you would expect them to do against a "lesser" opponant. Maybe Edmnton can hurt them in the counterattack.

If Edmonton really wants to take a shot at it, they should go for a 0-0 at home. Considering they can defend that wouldn't be out of the question. 0-0 at home and sneak in a goal in Montreal and advance afther a 1-1 draw there. 

In all honesty though, I'd put my money on the Impact. But I have to say if there one thing Montreal doesn't like to do, is play a possession game, which you would expect them to do against a "lesser" opponant. Maybe Edmnton can hurt them in the counterattack.

Would love to see a result for Edmonton in either game, home or away. Certainly Montreal is not in top form but the Eddies are hardly peaking at the right time either. They were lucky not to be in a big hole by half time last week against Ottawa and rode an awesome performance by Boakai to get that result. Unfortunately their performance in NASL league games has not been overly inspiring so far. I  think the Eddies best chance for a result will be at home with a tight defense and either some counter attacks or a set piece that works according to plan. An MLS scalp would be nice and would partly offset the resuklts in Spring season so far.  

Impact has also called up Academy players Anthony Jackson-Hamel, Amine Meftouh and Victor Ndiaye . I do wonder if there is a quota for Canadian players in the 30-man roster for the V's cup this year. With the amount of Academy grads that the Impact and the Whitecaps listed this year, I wouldn't be surprised that this is the case.

There would still be room for Rivas and Lopez if they become healthy one day.

Guest ClaytonA

Start rant/

I'm know some people (former players, coaches, pundits, talking heads) in soccer are against quotas because "players that don't deserve to play, get minutes they otherwise wouldn't, and it doesn't push them to get better by earning minutes", but that's a half-truth.  Sure there will be the occasional few coasting, but come on.  Who doesn't like scoring goals?  Winning?  Following the money, and a human penchant for laziness, it seems it's just easier to buy talent instead of developing it.  The APSL in 1993 had a maximum of 3 non US or Cdn players on the field IIRC depending on the team's location.  MLS starting up in 1996 probably killed that because we have to compete and so on and so forth.  MLS is not the problem, our Canadian insecurities and US dominated media are two things bigger.

Look at Mexico when they pushed playing U-23 in Liga MX, look at some of the efforts the FA in Blighty is doing including making it much harder and harder for foreigners to play outside of the EPL, etc. 

The Voyageurs Cup is a separate competition from the MLS marketing machine, official Voyageurs Cup quotas would help.  Our own league supported by fans would help more.  U.S. based leagues have no problem including the three largest Canadian cities (when pressed), but you'll never see teams in Ottawa, Winnipeg, Hamilton, etc.  There are too many larger US markets.  We don't fit into their leagues very well for this summer sport when they want to start playing in March and end in November anyway.

/end rant

Guest ClaytonA

For anyone curious, the last professional match Montreal Impact played in Edmonton versus FE Edmonton was 0-5 win on May 1, 2011 in front of 2,651.

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sportsmonday/story.html?id=94ae893a-54d3-4e31-9ca2-9fd2eeb60d5c

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/05/02/blow-out-in-the-bandbox

“When you go into a game like this you need to put a knife between your teeth,” he said.

Instead they had a long-stemmed flower between their teeth.

Quote by former Eddie coach Harry Sinkgraven

Also the Impact played the Edmonton Aviators to a 1-1 draw on June 15, 2004 in front of 3,823 at Commonwealth Stadium.  Jaime Lopresti-Travanic of Edmonton scored late in the 81st minute via a PK, before Montreal substitute Darko Kolic equalized in the 90th minute to send the game into OT.

Match report's here: http://www.uslsoccer.com/stats/2004/1076787.html

from: http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3048396

Aviators Men Earn Point Against Powerful Montreal Team June 16, 2004 - USL First Division (USL-1) Edmonton Aviators

algaviators.gifEdmonton, June 15 - The Edmonton Aviators Mens team earned a draw with the A-Leagues top team tonight at Commonwealth Stadium.

Although the first half was evenly matched, Edmonton held a small advantage in possession and had the best chance. Midfielder Sean Fraser ran down a ball just before it went out of bounds and fired a shot at goal. The ball cut straight across the face of the goal as the goalkeeper scrambled to get back into position.

The Aviators had another great chance to score in the 72nd minute as Nikola Vignjevic was fouled at the edge of the Impacts box. Chris Lemire took the free kick and curled the ball just wide of the post.

In the 75th minute, Nikola Vignjevic picked up the ball after Chris Lemires shot was blocked and fired a hard, low shot at goal. Impact goalkeeper Greg Sutton smothered the shot.

The Edmonton Aviators opened the scoring when Chris Lemire was taken down inside the Impact penalty area in the 81st minute. Jamie Lopresti stepped up and slotted the penalty home for a 1 0 Aviators lead. Lopresti was given a yellow card for his shirtless celebration but the fans at Commonwealth Stadium didnt care as they celebrated the first home goal of the season.

The Impact tied the game in the dying moments as Darko Kolic headed the ball past Edmonton goalkeeper Jose Luis Campi in the 90th minute.

Overtime saw god chances for bothe teams but no goals. The game ended as a 1 1 draw.

We played the best team in the A-League tonight and gave them all they could handle. The team really came together well and showed what they are capable of, said Aviators head coach Ross Ongaro.

The Aviators Mens next game will be part of another home double header on June 21. The men will face the Vancouver Whitecaps Men (6pm MST) while the women will face the Fort Collins Force (8:30pm MST).

Guest ClaytonA

Here's another from: http://www.uslfans.com/game_reports/2004/

Oooh , So Close!

by Sergio Teixeira, a-league.com Match Reporter

15.June.2004
EDMONTON, June 15, 2004 - Rebounding from their poor showing in Portland, the Edmonton Aviators were able to scratch out a 1-1 draw against arguably the best team in the A-League - the Montreal Impact. The well-rested Aviators were facing a Montreal team that was playing their third game in 5 days.

Once again using their tried and true 3-5-2 formation the Aviators settled in to a defensive shape early, obviously expecting a long match under pressure from the potent Montreal attack. Jose Luis Campi was once again backstopping the team, with Claudio Salinas, Liam de Silva, Chris Handsor holding the defence, and Jaime Lopresti, Kurt Bosch, Nikola Vignjevic in the middle of the pitch. Gordon Chin and Sean Fraser provided some support from the wings and Chris Lemire supporting the attack slightly behind Freddu Akok.

Things started brightly for the Aviators, Montreal looked not quite ready for the match and the Aviators were able to get a nice cross in to an onrushing Fraser, only to have Fraser taken down near the edge of the box and the booked for diving by the referee in the 5'.

Edmonton kept pushing forward and were awarded a free kick in the 9' from about 20 yards out. Taken by Lemire, his sharp strike was over everyone's head and bounced easily for Montreal goalkeeper Greg Sutton to make his first touch of the match. This seemed to wake up the Impact as they started putting together a crisp set of passes and a minute later Ze Roberto was able to get a nice cross in to a forward moving Antonio Ribeiro. Fortunately for the Aviators, his header bounced wide.

With the energy of the match taken up a notch, things became a little rougher and Montreal forward Frederick Commodore was cautioned and booked in the 15' for tripping. Despite their up tempo game being played largely in the Edmonton end, Montreal weren't really able to test Campi with much.

Edmonton's had the best chance of the half after Campi was able to grab the ball of a Montreal corner and send the Aviators up field on a counter-attack in the 20'. Fraser ran down a cross sent in over his head to the Montreal 16-yard box, snagging it just before it went over the end line and then rolled it right across the mouth of goal. Unfortunately no other Aivators players were in position to do anything about it and the ball rolled out into touch.

Montreal looked very solid defensively, as a tricky little move by Lemire sprung Fraser into space, only to run into the very solid Montreal backline. On the ensuing counter-attack, Joel John Bailey made a very nice run down the left side and slotted a cross on the ground right through the box. Fortunately for Edmonton, it was just out of the reach Commodore and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Two minutes after the Aviators' Chin was booked for tripping in the 38', Montreal once again showed their passing prowess as Chris Williams and Ribeiro connected well to find Gabriel Gervais all alone in the Edmonton box only to have him shoot the ball well wide of goal.

Montreal's best chance of the first half came late of a free kick from about 20 yards out. The strike by Nevio Pizzolitto rebounded off the Aviators wall, was gathered up and sent back into box by Williams and nearly caught Campi off his line. The Edmonton keeper was able to reach out to grab the ball and kept the game scoreless going into the break.

The second half began much as the first ended, with Montreal showing some speed up the middle as Bailey slipped between Bosch and Salinas around the 54' and got the ball forward to Commodore; forcing Campi to rush off his line and knock the ball out to safety. Edmonton dealt well with the early Montreal pressure and was able to make some nice defensive plays to stifle the Montreal attack.

Halfway through the second half, Montreal started to show the signs of a team playing it's 3rd match in 5 days and Edmonton was able to press the issue. In the 72' Edmonton was awarded a free kick as Vignjevic was fouled at the edge of the Impact's box. Lemire took the free kick and curled the ball just wide of the post.

Then, after a Montreal corner in the 74' minute, Edmonton was able to send 4 players forward on the counter-attack, Chris Lemire's initial shot was blocked, but Vignjevic picked up the ball and fired a hard, low shot at goal - forcing Impact goalkeeper Sutton to make a nice save.

Sensing an opportunity against a tired opponent, Edmonton kept pushing forward and in the 79' Lemire was taken down in the box. With no hesitation, the referee point to the spot - penalty kick!

Edmonton went with their proven penalty kick taker Lopresti. He stepped up to the mark and struck a powerful shot into the top left corner as Sutton dived to the right. 81' - GOAL Edmonton! Caught up in the emotion of scoring Edmonton's first goal on home soil, Lopresti pulled off his shirt in celebration and was promptly yellow carded.

With Edmonton's first win of the season 10 minutes away, Montreal made it's first substitution of the game, taking defender Lloyd Barker off for the more offensive-minded Nikola Budalic. To counter the move, Edmonton took off forward Freddy Akok and adding holding-midfielder Ebo.

Seeing their undefeated streak coming to an end Montreal pushed forward in numbers and Edmonton was hard pressed to hold their defensive shape. Caught up in the flurry of Montreal chances, in the 85' Lopresti clipped in the head by a slighty sloppy attempt at a bicycle kick by Montreal forward Commodore. Taking out all stops, Montreal made their second substitution in the 87', bringing in another forward, Darko Kolic for midfielder Antonio Ribeiro.

The move would prove to be a good one as just minutes later at 90'+ Montreal's Lloyd Barker took a short freekick, slotted the ball over to Joel John Baily who's lob found the head of a charging Darko Kolic and pulled Montreal even with the late equalizer.

Both teams seemed satisfied with the draw and overtime settled nothing. In the end Montreal preserved their undefeated streak, and a heartbroken Edmonton settled for a draw against one of the best teams in the league.

Greg Baker

Webmaster - The Hangar
www.aviatorshangar.com

According to Dave Lévesque from the Journal de Montréal, (aka the only journalist who's at every Impact game) the Impact will go with:

McInerney

Smith Bernier Nyassi

Warner Mallace

Tissot Pearce Ouimette Camara

Bush

I'm quite happy with that lineup :)  Now we wait.....

Three Canadians in the lineup. Article from LaPresse quotes fromer IMFC coach and current Ottawa Fury coach as saying that the key to beating FC Edmonton is through working out wide and into space. The two central mids for FCE, pretty much block the middle, (Colin Miller ball) so the speed of Nyassi and Smith will be key.

989905_Montreal_Impact.jpg

Congrats to FCE but simply terrible performance by the Impact. We have a terrible team this year with an incompetent management that did nothing over the break other than to cut players and not replace them. We didn't start our MLS starting lineup but everyone that started is still a key player on the team that plays regularly with the exception of Bush (who was not at fault on either goal). We have so many marginal MLS players on our roster. To some extent we are really an NASL team with a few superior players like Di Viao and Mapp. The McInerney trade was good but it has been the only good player move we have made since Marsh left.

Boakai is really impressive though, he is already good enough to play MLS. He could start for the Impact now and indeed is exactly what we need, a creative central midfielder. How can one expect to do anything in MLS with Felipe and Warner as your central attacking midfielders? The only MLS starter level offensive midfielder we have is Mapp.  

I've attended every Eddies game this year, and Montreal was the worst team I've seen this year. It was really surprising. But then again that's what you get for picking up guys like Heath Pearce and his 200k salary. Montreal will probably be able to pick up the points in the return leg, but against MLS opposition I can see why they only have one win.

I think Boakai would be a great pickup for any team next year. I think it would be wise for him to play out the year in the 2nd div so he gets lots of playing time and then move on.

I've attended every Eddies game this year, and Montreal was the worst team I've seen this year. It was really surprising. But then again that's what you get for picking up guys like Heath Pearce and his 200k salary. Montreal will probably be able to pick up the points in the return leg, but against MLS opposition I can see why they only have one win.

I think Boakai would be a great pickup for any team next year. I think it would be wise for him to play out the year in the 2nd div so he gets lots of playing time and then move on.

Pearce has been a disappointment and had a terrible game yesterday. However, the Impact did not pick up his salary from a previous contract but signed him to a new contract as a free agent for 100k not 200k. Pearce is probably ok as a backup but I think the money would be better spent towards signing a much higher quality starting CB.

Yeah, they can fire Klopas but he is not the main problem in the end. Two years of very little talent acquisition and still the main cogs of the team are above thirty. They will need a D.C. United-style wholescale clearout this off-season and they need to hire some good South American scouts. 

Archived