Tom Sermanni FIRED as #USWNT head coach

StrandOne

Like I said before she got hurt, take Alex Morgan away and they're not very scary any more.  Took an injury for them to figure that out.  You can toss Tom Sermanni but you're only fooling yourself if you think there's not a massive problem in their development system.

No man has successfully coached the U.S. women, i.e. not been unceremoniously turfed, since Tony DiCicco 15 years ago.

There's a lot of big egos on that team, I'm not sure even Phil Jackson could handle it.  When he looks back I wonder if Sermanni will rue not releasing some of the well-known veterans who's egos got in the way of the team progressing.

There's a lot of big egos on that team, I'm not sure even Phil Jackson could handle it.  When he looks back I wonder if Sermanni will rue not releasing some of the well-known veterans who's egos got in the way of the team progressing.

He does that, everyone goes "where's Wambach?" the instant the team draws a game, he's sacked anyway. It's a no-win scenario. In hindsight, fluking out that gold medal in London might cost them more silverware down the line.

It's that time of year.  Another contextual one is Patrice Lair who is out of Olympique Lyon at the end of the year after getting their throats slit in the 16-round of the Champions League on away goals and having the audacity to lose a league game (17-1, +66 goal differential).  They have been in the last three Champions League finals and won two of them.

It's that time of year.  Another contextual one is Patrice Lair who is out of Olympique Lyon at the end of the year after getting their throats slit in the 16-round of the Champions League on away goals and having the audacity to lose a league game (17-1, +66 goal differential).  They have been in the last three Champions League finals and won two of them.

It's not like Lair was fired. He's leaving Lyon. Perhaps he has found a better job or wants a new challenge. To compare  that and Mike Gillis, who really screwed up in the past 18 months by trading both of his goalkeepers to Sermanni is riduclous.

• 2 weeks later...
Coaching appointments are the job of the association.  The job of the player is to show up, be positive, buy in and give 100%.  If you can't do that, step aside gracefully.  When the players as you put it, drive change, it's a pooched political cesspool that can't recover until you wipe the slate clean.  The suspicions and smell of dead flesh linger.

Chelsea slammed the door on Liverpool yesterday with some clinical defending and 10 players in a sliding 18x18 square.  It's a funny game.  There is plenty of hope for Canada even without home soil.

...The job of the player is to show up, be positive, buy in and give 100%.  If you can't do that, step aside gracefully.  When the players as you put it, drive change, it's a pooched political cesspool that can't recover until you wipe the slate clean.  The suspicions and smell of dead flesh linger...

The scandal that rocked the Alberta Soccer Association two years ago came to my attention through the newspaper article that reported that the Bank of Montreal had suspended the ASA's account because they didn't know who was in charge. The slavery going on in Qatar that builds stadiums that may never host a FIFA World Cup is not run by women. The fan recently banned by Villareal for throwing a banana at Dani Alves, as a racist gesture, was a man. The smell of dead fish indeed...

The Canadian women's team did more than give 100% on the pitch when the boycotted in February 2011. How awful of them to create a "pooched political cesspool". Clean slate indeed. Get rid of Sinclair and the whole lot!! RUBBISH !! Activism from players who express opposition to fraudulent or racist leaders should be welcomed.

Ah but wait... we're talking about challenging / getting rid of a head coach. If you listened closely to the podcast, which I'm sure you did Victor, I said that player activism may bring changes that I don't agree with. The more important result (to me) is that young women realize they can effect change. In this case I understand a few reasons why USSF may have fired Tom Sermanni. If you think Sunil Gulati is the kind of guy who lets Abby Wambach tell him what to do, we don't see the guy who chased down Jurgen Klinsmann in the same light. Dismiss Sermanni or let him stay. Makes no difference to me. But I understand both positions. What matters is the closing-- if USSF finds a great replacement, the #USWNT may win the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup. That may be all that's relevant to USSF.

Effecting positive change is great not just for young people but the middle age and elderly.  That said, my comments were on coaching and none of your examples are coaching related.  I agree wholeheartedly on an organizational level, but team dynamics are completely different.

I remember some of these players politicking to ensure the World Cup next year was played on grass.  That worked out well.  Male footballers in general aren't very bright.  Women tend to be more educated but they're not known for their gray matter.  The word player comes from the word "play".  That's okay though, politicians don't make great soccer players either.

If you don't agree with the politics of something, chose.  Step aside or speak through your play.  Either way, nothing, and I mean nothing, speaks louder than that.

Nice to see the commentary on women's soccer.  Keep at it.

• 3 weeks later...

I may have said too much this time boys. Whaddya figure? Let me hear ya.

https://soundcloud.com/ingridium40/cut-2-the-chase-extra-time-w-big-d

So you've heard the podcast. I applied for the RSS feed from SoundCloud + was granted one last week so now I can create a setup on iTunes. Brilliant, but guess what? I've run out of space on my SoundCloud acct to upload audio... for free. Now I need a bit of help so I'm bringing this crowd funding campaign to your attention.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/a-soccer-podcast-cut-2-the-chase

All the details are there but what I haven't said is that I'm aiming to have a 20-minute chat with Sepp Blatter about women's football. How am I going to manage that? I honestly don't know but THAT is my goal for this podcast in 2014. Is it feasible? We shall see... but not if the podcast dies. If you throw a few pesos at this women's soccer podcast, I will step up my game-- as an interviewer + producer.

Perhaps we'll get the chance to hear what Mr. Blatter really thinks about women's football.

If you've listened to a few episodes already, I'd love to have your feedback to how I can improve the podcast.

https://iwant2work4n...m.com/to/a7FnSz

Thanks!

C'mon boys! 6hours left. $560 needed to cross the finish line. Thanks to everyone who has contributed already.

I promise to give Voyageurs a shout out if I get to interview Mr. Blatter in August. But this can't happen without you. Please pitch in. I know women's soccer isn't all that popular of a topic but things will get mighty interesting in the next 18 months and I want to help Canada do this right!

http://igg.me/at/Cut2theChase/x

I just got my contribution back because the goal wasn't reached.  It's a shame.  Maybe smaller goals over time would be better, rather than going for the whole amount in one shot?  I don't have any experience at this crowdfunding stuff, though, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt.

I just got my contribution back because the goal wasn't reached.  It's a shame.  Maybe smaller goals over time would be better, rather than going for the whole amount in one shot?  I don't have any experience at this crowdfunding stuff, though, so take any advice from me with a grain of salt.

I'm gonna give this crowd funding thing one more try. I'll post the link here tomorrow (Friday). The target remains the same $2,000. I will choose Indiegogo's flex funding model but the pressure to hit the goal is greater because Indiegogo collects TWICE THE FEE if I don't hit or surpass the target. But this attempt will be 15 days, instead of one week. So come on back... support a women's footy podcast that, not-so-secretly, has an emphasis on CANADA. And tell a friend.

Thanks Voyageurs.

• 2 weeks later...

Effecting positive change is great not just for young people but the middle age and elderly...

Nice to see the commentary on women's soccer.  Keep at it.

Yo Voyageurs !! If you've already contributed... MERCI. If you were waiting until the last minute to show women's soccer some love... we're there. Didn't collect a dime from the first campaign because we didn't reach the goal. 40 hours left in the second try. Game TIME!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/cut-2-the-chase/contributions/new

Archived