NWSL Season

MrsC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canadians allocated to the NWSL for 2016:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/national-women-s-soccer-league-nwsl-canadian-players-for-2016-season-p159151

- Players who were allocated in 2015 but NOT  in 2016:   Rhian Wilkinson, Lauren Sesselmann, Rachel Quon, Melissa Tancredi, N'kem Ezurike, and Jonelle Filigno.   Karina LeBlanc and Erin McLeod were both allocated in 2015 but weren't in  2016 because LeBlanc retired and McLeod moved to Sweden.

-Desiree Scott is back in the NWSL.

- Only 11 players allocated in total -- originally had 16 players allocated in 2013. I wish the CSA would go back up to 16 allocated players or higher ( there are more teams in the league now)  and fill the remaining spots with college prospects (in this case 5 spots). These prospects  could surprise the CSA and make it in the NWSL. But even if they did  poorly  they'll have a professional credential on their resumes which an agent/agency can market to other leagues, and down the road,  Canada  might get a few more Allyscha Chapmans. Given that Canada has an urgent need for attackers up front,  the CSA can help broaden that   talent pool by trying to get more youth/player development from their  NWSL allocations.

- No actual Canadian-born college players were drafted into the NWSL in 2016. --only Janine Beckie was drafted, and she was born in the USA. ( In addition,  two English college players and one Costa Rican college player were  drafted into the NWSL in  2016.) To me, It should be automatic that the CSA  include a number young college  prospects in their NWSL allocations to help broaden the CANWNT  talent pool (and a league should help to broaden a nation's talent pool) .The only real young college player in this current allocation list is Janine Beckie. Here are some Canadian  college players whose college eligibilty is finished and would have benefited from a season in the NWSL: 

Elise Wyatt , forward,  DePaul University,  topdrawersoccer post-season rank 62

Ashley Campbell, forward/midfield,  Dayton University,  topdrawersoccer post-season rank 63

Nicole Waters midfield, Dayton University, topdrawersoccer post-season rank 74

Kinley McNicoll      midfield   Wisconsin

-

• 1 month later...

Ezurike, Filigno, Sesslemann, Tancredi and Wilkinson will be available in the Distribution Process along with many Mexicans  (Ocampo, Perez, Romero & Sierra). I don't really get it. Portland traded for the top spot, so it's safe to assume that they'll pick one of the 9 players. Though if I was them Ocampo would be the one I'd pick. 

The Chicago Red Stars look a little ruthless here. After Rachel Quon was de-allocated by Canada, the Red Stars seemed unwilling to keep Quon  on their their roster and to pay her a salary. So she's not with the club any more. Yet the Red Stars  consider her valuable enough  to retain her NWSL rights and did not release her outright. Consequently, Rachel Quon is not eligible for this distribution draft and if any NWSL club wants Rachel Quon then  they are going to have to make trade with Chicago to acquire  her.

2 hours ago, tc-in-bc said:

The Chicago Red Stars look a little ruthless here. After Rachel Quon was de-allocated by Canada, the Red Stars seemed unwilling to keep Quon  on their their roster and to pay her a salary. So she's not with the club any more. Yet the Red Stars  consider her valuable enough  to retain her NWSL rights and did not release her outright. Consequently, Rachel Quon is not eligible for this distribution draft and if any NWSL club wants Rachel Quon then  they are going to have to make trade with Chicago to acquire  her.

My impression when it was announced that Rachel Quon was not going to play this year was that it was her choice (I do not know this for certain though). I suspect it came down to how much the Red Stars could pay her as a deallocated player.  I doubt any other club could or would pay her more.

2 hours ago, The Ref said:

I did a quick search a found this article that says the U.S. women are projected to out perform the men when it comes to revenue earned for the national association as well:  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/united-states-womens-soccer-equal-pay_us_56fd37e3e4b0daf53aeee5d7

While this trend appears to be relatively new, I think it removes the only valid argument that could be used for paying the women less. 

On 30/3/2016 at 2:57 PM, Blackdude said:

Ezurike, Filigno, Sesslemann, Tancredi and Wilkinson will be available in the Distribution Process along with many Mexicans  (Ocampo, Perez, Romero & Sierra). I don't really get it. Portland traded for the top spot, so it's safe to assume that they'll pick one of the 9 players. Though if I was them Ocampo would be the one I'd pick. 

No Canadians  got picked. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the Seattle Reign sign Australian (Matilda) forward Lisa De Vanna who is currently unattached. De Vanna recently won the the 2015-16 W-League double with Jess Fishlock and Kim Little, all  playing for Melbourne City. She won the 2013-14 W-League Grand Final  with Jess Fishlock,  both playing for Melbourne Victory. And Lisa  De Vanna is really good friends with the Dutch winger Manon Melis  (newly acquired by the Reign) -- both De Vanna and Melis were teammates at Linkoping ,  in 2012, in the Damallsvenskan.

http://www.lisadevanna11.com/matildas-manon-and-memories/

1 hour ago, tc-in-bc said:

Wouldn't be surprised if the Seattle Reign sign Australian (Matilda) forward Lisa De Vanna who is currently unattached. De Vanna recently won the the 2015-16 W-League double with Jess Fishlock and Kim Little, all  playing for Melbourne City. She won the 2013-14 W-League Grand Final  with Jess Fishlock,  both playing for Melbourne Victory. And Lisa  De Vanna is really good friends with the Dutch winger Manon Melis  (newly acquired by the Reign) -- both De Vanna and Melis were teammates at Linkoping ,  in 2012, in the Damallsvenskan.

http://www.lisadevanna11.com/matildas-manon-and-memories/

You could be right.  They are saying they have roster announcements coming.  It would be interesting for sure since De Vanna has a history of butting heads with coaches in the NWSL.  Laura Harvey isn't any old coach though :)

So it appears that there are  only eleven Canadians in the NWSL in 2016. A week into pre-season,  Lauren Sesselmann was  released by the Houston Dash. Subsequently, she went to FCKC as a trialist ( non-roster invitee ) but today she was not named to FCKC's regular season roster :

http://www.fckansascity.com/2016/04/11/fc-kansas-city-announces-2016-season-opening-roster/

Archived