NWSL Season

MrsC

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be really surprised if Allysha Chapman is on the bench.  Houston is so depleted on defense that they sent Ella Masar back last week.  I agree that she probably won't play left back but I do think she will be a starer.

I cheer for the Dash and so far they had a good beginning.

I cheer for the Dash and so far they had a good beginning.

I thought the Dash looked really good last week -- definitely a team to watch this year.  But I do think they would choose to put Ella Masar back at forward when they can put a solid defender like Chapman on defense.  It will be interesting to see what they do today though, when the Canadians have only been in camp for a day or so.  

I thought the Dash looked really good last week -- definitely a team to watch this year.  But I do think they would choose to put Ella Masar back at forward when they can put a solid defender like Chapman on defense.  It will be interesting to see what they do today though, when the Canadians have only been in camp for a day or so.  

So I was only half right here.  Chapman (And Sesselmann) get the start but they are still using Masar as a defender (half time sub).  Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

My trip to Chicago was fun.  A friend from Portland that I met at the 2013 Championship game in Rochester picked me up at my hotel.  When I came out to meet her several of the Thorns were in the lobby waiting for their ride (Christine Sinclair, Tobin Heath, Nadine Angerer, Allie Long and a few others).  Some guy was trying to get them to sign photos and they were a bit grumpy about it so we didn't bother them.  We met up with the Chicago supporters group before the game for some tailgating.  They are a fun group -- I would recommend reaching out to them (Chicago Local 134) if anyone is thinking of seeing a game in Chicago even if you are supporting another team.  Now I have a group of Chicago supporters camping in my backyard during the world cup.

There ended up being about 15 of us cheering for the Thorns and it looked like we were in for a rough ride after those two early goals.  We were all pretty excited when Christine Sinclair scored and we did a lot of singing and chanting for the duration of the game. I could barely talk the next morning so I think that is a sign of a good time.

This is the third time I have seen the Thorns play in Chicago.  I have also seen them play 3 times in Rochester. Sahlen's stadium in Rochester is a good environment to watch a game but I really like spending my money in Chicago because I see them as a bit like the little engine that could.  They have a real uphill battle with the field being 50 minutes outside of Chicago, and not reachable by transit but they are fighting a good fight.  Last year I had arranged for my kids to be photographed with Karina Leblanc and their General Manager would answer my emails within minutes, even late on a Friday night.  At the game I met some other Canadians and we ended up chatting with the team owner (Arnim Whisler).  He offered to drive them back to their hotel when they mentioned that it was difficult to get out there!  They don't check your bags or pat you down when you enter the stadium so you can smuggle in cans of alcohol. This came in handy because I was asked for ID when trying to buy alcohol but I hadn't brought any with me. 

I hope to get to a Portland home game (maybe this year if they host a playoff game) but it is really fun supporting the team at away games.

I am not 100% on this but I think they are done now for the most part.  I know Karina is playing for Chicago this weekend because they are billing it as their send off for their World Cup stars and they listed her as one of the remaining 6 who will play tomorrow.  I watched the post game interview with Paul Riley and he either said last week was it for Christine Sinclair or this weekend was.  It wasn't really clear. 

Lauren Sesselmann and Alyscha Chapman will be available for the Houston Dash against FCKC tomorrow. While Erin Mcleod is in Houston she has been ruled ineligible to  play because of a left ankle sprain (yikes!).

Yikes is right.

I enjoyed watching the game ( Portland vs Chicago ) on Youtube. The Thorns have  a good looking uniform : mostly black with small amounts of white and red added. It was great seeing Sinclair score also.

I need the head-slapping emoticon here.  I didn't know that so many NWSL games were on youtube.  Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Archived