NWSL Season

MrsC

The NWSL season starts up next week.  Is anyone planning to attend any games?  Since Chicago has 4 CNWT players (once Melissa Tancredi arrives) I am going to make the drive there twice.   I will be sitting behind the net chearing Karina LeBlanc on for the season oppener/ double header with the Chicago Fire.  I also picked up tickets for the Western New York Flash home oppener in May against the Thorns.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
Canadians in the NWSL thus far:

1.  17 players allocated start of the year.
2.  Desiree Scott signed for Notts County.
3.  Lauren Sesselmann injured.
4.  43 man-games for the Canadian players allocated.  
5.  A 60% rate of Canadians entering a game for their team.
6.  Rachel Quon, Karina LeBlanc, Diana Matheson, Sophie Schmidt and Christine Sinclair have played every minute.
7.  Total of 13 shots taken by Canadians.
8.  Three goals scored, all by Diana Matheson.
9.  Four shots on net (all by Diana Matheson).
10.  No other Canadian has registered a shot on net in 27 man-games.

Canadians in the NWSL thus far:

1.  17 players allocated start of the year.
2.  Desiree Scott signed for Notts County.
3.  Lauren Sesselmann injured.
4.  43 man-games for the Canadian players allocated.  
5.  A 60% rate of Canadians entering a game for their team.
6.  Rachel Quon, Karina LeBlanc, Diana Matheson, Sophie Schmidt and Christine Sinclair have played every minute.
7.  Total of 13 shots taken by Canadians.
8.  Three goals scored, all by Diana Matheson.
9.  Four shots on net (all by Diana Matheson).
10.  No other Canadian has registered a shot on net in 27 man-games.

It doesn't really make the stats any less dismal, but Christine Sinclair has had 4 shots on goal as well.

• 6 months later...

I don't know what the answer is, but we need a real professional women's league that is not propped up by the associations.

If the CSA would approach other National Associations in CONCACAF, and organize a National Team League, with eight countries there would be a lot more instant interest to attend the games.

Canada, Mexico, Honduras, Panama, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Costa Rica, and Haiti or Cuba to start. Then make a second division, yes travel costs would be high but if you run through the group twice i.e. two home games versus 7 teams you get 14 home games, base the team in Canada at least out of one city and build a fan base of 10 to 12k per game at an average ticket price of $15.00,  that could bring in revenue in the two million dollar range.

Travel costs for such a league would run around 400,000 per team...doable by the CSA for sure and likely doable by a number of other countries if CONCACAF countries cannot finanace it ... go to south America and bring in teams from there to fill the spots.

I would purposely leave the US out of the league for the first five or so years, and let them try to establish there own domestic pro league for women without losing players to another league.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it true that NWSL teams are not obligated to sign again the Canadian or Mexican players?

I had heard that the CSA was keeping the National team women in camp and not putting them in NWSL this season (much to the chagrin of the NWSL ppl). Not sure if this is part of the same thing or not.

'keeping ... in camp' 'putting ... in NWSL' ... like pawns on a chess board. Yeesh.

Is it true that NWSL teams are not obligated to sign again the Canadian or Mexican players?

I haven't heard that but it wouldn't surprise me.  Now that we are past the second year, contracts for non-allocated players are currently being renegotiated.  Not much has been said about how allocated players are being handled heading into year 3, and as Rob already mentioned, there is speculation that the CSA might not allocate any players for the coming season.  My biggest pet peeve with the NWSL is the lack of transparency.  Last year allocations were released early January so hopefully we will know what is happening in the next few weeks. 

Guest ClaytonA

http://www.canadasoccer.com/national-women-s-soccer-league-announces-2015-schedule-format-p156830

The National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) announced today the League will play a 20-game schedule for the 2015 NWSL season. The NWSL will also a take brief two-week break during the group stages of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015 in Canada.

“We are very pleased to announce the new schedule for the upcoming 2015 NWSL season, which will allow us to have a March to September format with more weekend dates,” NWSL Executive Director Cheryl Bailey said. “The 2015 NWSL season will also feature a short break at the start of the [FIFA Women’s] World Cup, which will allow the clubs and fans to fully focus on the excitement of the FIFA Women's World Cup Canada 2015.”

Canada Soccer, Federation of Mexican Football and United States Soccer Federation have all committed to allocate players for the 2015 NWSL season. While the three federations are planning on hosting extended training camps and events prior to the start of the Women's World Cup, they have agreed to release their players to participate from the start of the 2015 season.

“We are excited to announce that Canada Soccer, Federation of Mexican Football and U.S. Soccer have confirmed that they will allocate the same number of players for the 2015 season,” Bailey added. “We have been able to find a balance with Canada, Mexico and the U.S. that will enable the players to participate in training camps with their National Teams but will also allow them to re-join their clubs for some games prior to the start of the [FIFA Women's] World Cup.”

The National Team players will begin the season with their respective National Teams, but will participate in the first three to four NWSL matches before the start of the Women’s World Cup. In total, National Team players will be expected to miss 7-8 games compared to three games in 2014.

The NWSL preseason training camps will begin in March while the regular season will kick off in early April. Based on the new 2015 schedule format, NWSL clubs will have an average of 5.9 days of rest in between matches. The clubs will also play 16 games on the weekend for an average of 1.3 midweek games in 2015 compared to an average of 7.8 midweek games in 2014.

The 2015 NWSL regular season will then culminate in the middle of September and be followed by the playoffs, including two semifinal matches on the weekend of September 12-13 with the championship match scheduled on the weekend of September 26-27 to avoid potential FIFA dates.

“We are excited to announce that Canada Soccer, Federation of Mexican Football and U.S. Soccer have confirmed that they will allocate the same number of players for the 2015 season,” Bailey added. “We have been able to find a balance with Canada, Mexico and the U.S. that will enable the players to participate in training camps with their National Teams but will also allow them to re-join their clubs for some games prior to the start of the [FIFA Women's] World Cup.”

I do remember seeing this now, so I guess that answers the question of if Canada will allocate players to the NWSL.  We don't know how many though, and we don't know if players will be allocated to the same teams, or if teams have to accept the allocated players.

• 3 months later...

It will be interesting to see how Allysha Chapman does in her first NWSL season. She could end up on the Houston Dash's bench given that Meghan Klingenberg is not only the Dash's starting left back but also the starting left back for the USWNT. Chapman is versatile though and can play other positions; at Eskilstuna United in the Damallsvenskan (Sweden) Chapman played both left and right midfielder. In addition, the Houston Dash haven't settled on a starting right back yet so that position could also be a possibility.

I would be really surprised if Allysha Chapman is on the bench.  Houston is so depleted on defense that they sent Ella Masar back last week.  I agree that she probably won't play left back but I do think she will be a starer.

I am off to see the Thorns play in Chicago next weekend, and I am really looking forward to that.  I wish I could get to more games this year but now that I live flying distance versus driving distance it isn't likely.  Plus, there is a little tournament happening in Canada this summer that is going to eat up a lot of my time and money :) 

Archived