Sportsnet not broadcasting Edmonton - Ottawa leg?

From Steve Sandor's latest on the new NASL streaming service:

As for the opening rounds of the Amway Canadian Championship between Ottawa and FC Edmonton, broadcast plans are still up in the air. The teams got word that Sportsnet, which holds the rights to the Voyageurs’ Cup/Amway Canadian Championship, won’t be placing the Eddies/Fury matches on April 23/30 on their broadcasting schedule. The teams have been discussing ways to get the matches to fans across Canada, but there are rights issues at play. Rogers still holds rights to the tournament as a whole, so it’s not easy to parcel the Fury/Eddies games away to another rightsholder. And, with just weeks to go before the Fury and Eddies meet in the Amway opener, even if another station could be found, it’s awfully hard to bump prime-time programming — for which advertising has already been sold — for a new sports commitment.

So much for the home of Canadian soccer, eh?

On the bright side, FC Edmonton were hinting today on facebook that they would be announcing a broadcast partner in the upcoming weeks!  Looks like the city council voting to remove the american football lines from the pitch had the intended effect.

On the bright side, FC Edmonton were hinting today on facebook that they would be announcing a broadcast partner in the upcoming weeks!  Looks like the city council voting to remove the american football lines from the pitch had the intended effect.

Any guesses as to who the partner is? Back to Sportsnet now that the lines are off? CBC? God knows CBC could use something on their network for Saturday nights.

You new to this country?

The Media and Communications Director at Ottawa Fury FC, when asked about this says:

"This is an announcement that will be made jointly between Fury FC, FC Edmonton and the CSA"

So clearly they've heard that Rogers sucks and they likely have some kind of plan in the works. :)

Nice.  Good job.  Way to jinx us.

I kid!  I kid!  If i have to settle for a choppy webcast on the CSA site (or worse) I can live with that for ONE match.  Sort of get nostalgic for the old days now and again anyway. 

WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SETTLE for anything. Imagine CFL Playoffs not being shown the first leg.

CSA It's Your JOB, Figure it OUT

Forget about a webstream I would be even more pissed if they make it only available "live" of something like that then for those unable to watch the game Live, SOL.

Sportsnet send your whole crew to those games and make them available on YouTube with FULL COMMENTARY, etc in 720p!!!!

Better Yet on TV!!!!

Sportsnet already stated that they would not be showing any FCE games as long as there are football lines on the field. I guess the same goes for Ottawa.

I am surprised that Fury Games will not at least be on RogersTV for regular season games at least with the 67's a mainstay on the Ottawa RogersTV until the fall season.

Same with FCE on ShawTV possibily.

I guess they figure the spring season is so short and they will be able to get the 360 deal in place for the Fall

Hardly.  I called it that to avoid confusion from those that don't necessarily know the ins and outs of the situation.  Nitpicker.

I, for one, was actually wondering for a minute why Edmonton would need an American football field?

So Joe's not alone.

I, for one, was actually wondering for a minute why Edmonton would need an American football field?

So Joe's not alone.

I just didn't see it. To me, whether the field has 100 or 110 yards of hashmarks, I don't see the big difference, even though I know the codes are different.

(shrugs) I have very little interest in either the CFL or the NFL.  To me, the style is "american football", and I will continue to call it that regardless of the differences in rules between us and our southern brethren.  But yeah, I was trying to avoid confusion, not create more...either way I'm sure my message actually legitimately got across, if people weren't pressing to argue about boring semantics.  Convo derailing complete, I hope?

Back to the topic, What exactly was the scoop with Sportsnet?  It was said somewhere that the reason they dropped FC Edmonton games from a broadcasting perspective was due to the unattractive nature of the "american football" lines on the pitch right?  So isn't it possible that is how it was so easy to convince Edmonton city council to vote the way they did?  I'm thinking it MAY be Sportsnet as the new partner again.  Simply due to how quickly FC Edmonton responded to the concerns that Sportsnet brought to the table.

I think it's safe to say that FC Edmonton shared those concerns for their own sake, though. People, even people who'll watch second-division soccer, don't like football lines. We're seeing it in this thread. Hell. don't like them, and I'm as easy-going on these things as you get.

With both the Ottawa Fury and FCE both plaing their first part of the short spring season because it is a very short 9 game schedule on football fields they could both just have their braodcast on the NASL webcast untill the second part of the season when they play on SSS specific pitches without lines in which time sportsnet may be willing to jump in

With the Fury office saying the CSA is working with them, I suspect they will do what was done a couple years ago and probably have a live stream that the CSA does being shown on CanadaSoccer.com, and both FCE's and the Fury's websites. Back when the Vs Cup in its new iteration was so low profile that not even Sportsnet would dedicate time to it, the CSA streamed a few games straight from their website (with Max Bell possibly commentating? Can't remember). Best case scenario is that Sportsnet provides an online stream in association with the CSA, like what they've done in the past. 

As a random observation to my account, I'm not liking the fact I have 0 "warning points" associated with it. As a proper 'ooligan of the Real Football Factories Voyageurs Edition, this destroys my cred.

I think it's safe to say that FC Edmonton shared those concerns for their own sake, though. People, even people who'll watch second-division soccer, don't like football lines. We're seeing it in this thread. Hell. don't like them, and I'm as easy-going on these things as you get.

Absolutely.  FC Edmonton polling the fans during the offseason showed that they care about those concerns.  Them pressing city council shows it as well.  That, and frankly it is also for their own sake in that they had to be cognisant that the money from broadcasting can make or break their viability in a venture that is forever destined to lose money until they seat 10k people.  Not sure if I BELIEVE that, but that is straight out of the mouth of Tom Fath (if I remember right, it was Fath, if not it was Proudfoot, too lazy to check the source of the quote lol) 

Archived