Whitecaps 2014 Season

He struggling to find his way again. He was coming into his own mid May 2012 and was solidifying his place on the left wing. His body was filling out and wasn't as skinny and lanky as the previous year. Then all the injury issues set him back. Now he finally has a man's body and is huge (bumped into him at the Chivas game) but he hasn't figured out how to use it effectively. As a result it looks awkward. Plus he believes he can do it all himself and he needs to learn how to use his teammates. I'd rather give him minutes than Hurtado who needs to go.

I wish Clarke had the same confidence/arrogance as Salgado. Both big skilled forwards, but Clarke seemed a little timid in his few minutes. Granted they were his first few minutes as a pro.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit to not watching the Caps that often, but is Salgado always that terrible? Looks large and uncoordinated, like watching Greg Oden run.

I've said from day one, Salgado sucks, he looked like a good prospect because he developed physically earlier and was able to use his size ans strength against his peers. Against men, not so much. I'd trade him for a cheese sandwich. 

It pisses me off because the Caps thought they were the smartest people in the room by picking Salgado, he was supposed to be in the 8-14 pick range that year. Caps passed on Kitchen and Nagbe, two guys that would've been a huge improvement. 

Edited by finchster

I've said from day one, Salgado sucks, he looked like a good prospect because he developed physically earlier and was able to use his size ans strength against his peers. Against men, not so much. I'd trade him for a cheese sandwich. 

It pisses me off because the Caps thought they were the smartest people in the room by picking Salgado, he was supposed to be in the 8-14 pick range that year. Caps passed on Kitchen and Nagbe, two guys that would've been a huge improvement.

No one could have predicted the injury issues. Had he continued on the trajectory he showed in 2012, no way you'd be saying this now. I feel for the kid as he was almost facing the possibility of of retirement. And if he hadn't gotten injured it's plausible we wouldn't have drafted Hurtado, way worse than Salgado.

Salgado is a hard situation, for both sides.

I believe the Caps should move him on, and that he could use a fresh scenery; however, his value around the MLS I would venture is long gone. His luster from his 2012 status has faded into oblivion. The Caps still hold that forgotten value in him and seem willing to coax him along through the hard times he has faced. I think finch is half right he does look awfully out of place on the field awkward and clumsy. Though I believe most of that is from him not playing since 2012 really. He still has never had a real chance in the MLS in his natural spot.

I would hope to see Robbo give him more chances late in games up, even as the lone striker he should be able to get up to Ousted's long balls knock them down with his size and use his skill to layoff to Morales which is how Mattocks has put in his best performances this year. I think Salgado is a could good performances from getting some much needed confidence. He is still young and if he plays well will pull his value across the league back up becoming a useable asset on the pitch and possibly in a trade.

Salgado is a hard situation, for both sides.

I believe the Caps should move him on, and that he could use a fresh scenery

There were legitimate rumors last year that Salgado was going to Chivas, I think it's fair to say he could be moving on if he doesn't establish himself this year. 

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/01/23/tweet-whitecaps-shopping-salgado-chivas-interested/

Looks like he saw red after 65 minutes in his second match and hasn't come back. After conceding no goals in those first two matches, they've bled 6 without him in two matches. Bodes well unless he got some sort of suspension for violent conduct.

Over there, it's 2 games on the bench following a red card so he started again yesterday as they won 3-2. He was recently interviewed about his time in Germany & with Canada: http://www.fgcueaglesnest.com/2014/08/fgcu-soccer-daniel-stanese-canada-augsburg.html

Caps picked up a huge Costa Rican to add to their latino crew: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/soccer/Whitecaps+snare+Costa+Rican+centre+back+score/10089287/story.html

I spent a little while looking at his stats and video and wasn't that impressed until I looked thoroughly at his highlight reel (which is offensively strong IMO) and, in particular, his stats from this past year. While his numbers and great headers (and a couple of beautiful goals with his feet, it must be said) were often with lesser sides and vs. lesser sides, he really looks to have made a proper name for himself this year with Saprissa, the CR giant. He missed five or six weeks with injury but apart from that was mostly a first choice starter (30 starts) and started (and played 90) the entire final chunk of the league season, all of their league playoff games, and played a role in their cup run. They won the league and are in the semis of the cup (and won it with him starting last year), so this is no minor accomplishment. He did have 12 yellow cards in 2014, in addition to a red, and there were a number of tackles that would have made DeMerit or Mitchell look like girlie men, which, as we have all found in MLS, could easily be straight reds.

Another slight question mark is that I kind of wonder why Saprissa would be willing to let him go after finally paying dividends after many years of investment and at least half-a-dozen loans. But, his ambitious comments to play for the national team may also mean he feels he has done it all at this level; he certainly looks like a fiery competitor and a big game player, two things the Caps need more of, IMO.

He will be very dangerous on set-pieces and looks like he could do as McKenna used to do for the MNT, in that he could play up front late in games in desperate situations and bag a couple. I hope the Caps won't be satisfied that they now have enough size and potential on the end of set pieces with this signings, as they will need a whole lot more of both to remedy those situations than one giant CB.

I hope he has enough speed to properly compliment relatively slow Leveron; Waston speaks Spanish and English so he will be valuable in many ways to this side.

I was initially hoping for a guy like Jhon Kennedy Hurtado to come in and start immediately with MLS experience but I think this will be a  better long term decision  for the club, and he is younger and much bigger. In the end I really like this signing even though I don't imagine it will change Caps much in and of itself for the remainder of this season.

EDIT: He captained their side just this past Sunday in a victorious cup semi-final match vs Herediano.

EDIT: This article says he signed for two years with the option of two more, and that he feels a peace with leaving because the club are champions. Club didn't want to part with him but felt they had to sell him on as he deserved the opportunity: http://www.aldia.cr/futbol-costa-rica/saprissa/Kendall-Waston-puedo-tranquilo-campeones_0_403159699.html

EDIT: This article says that he was like Leveron in that he was on an initial squad list to go to Brasil but left off the final roster: http://www.nacion.com/deportes/futbol-costa-rica/Kendall-Waston-jugara-MLS_0_1430657054.html

Edited by nolando

I could see this as just an effort to have a guy to throw in at garbage time to steal points on a set peice. Not sure he will be able to beat out the current core of CB's, but late in a game if you have the sub left, maybe give him a shot at getting on the end of one of Morales' numerous balls into the box.

I will hold out some judgment; as so far all the guys who Robbo has brought in have shown they belong in the MLS.

Edited by TheKottonmouthed

I could see this as just an effort to have a guy to throw in at garbage time to steal points on a set peice. Not sure he will be able to beat out the current core of CB's, but late in a game if you have the sub left, maybe give him a shot at getting on the end of one of Morales' numerous balls into the box.

I will hold out some judgment; as so far all the guys who Robbo has brought in have shown they belong in the MLS.

Have you been watching Mitchell? Mitchell has blown his chance IMO and should be done with the club, bargain basement salary or not. AOB also, but for different reasons, seems to be done and I guess will just ride out the last months as disaster cover. Dean isn't ready but could be mentored nicely by Waston.  And, I repeat, he was just captaining Saprissa before he left CR.  He was on the longlist to go to Brasil with his country; I'd be disappointed if he couldn't step in and start within the next 3 weeks.

Have you been watching Mitchell? Mitchell has blown his chance IMO and should be done with the club, bargain basement salary or not. AOB also, but for different reasons, seems to be done and I guess will just ride out the last months as disaster cover. Dean isn't ready but could be mentored nicely by Waston.  And, I repeat, he was just captaining Saprissa before he left CR.  He was on the longlist to go to Brasil with his country; I'd be disappointed if he couldn't step in and start within the next 3 weeks.

I never even mentioned either, and yeah Mitchell, should be on the bench, but that doesn't mean Dean doesn't get his chance. that guy is a brick wall and has had some chances and time to learn the system, plus we have only seen him out of position at LB so far.

I never said Mitchell or AOB were playing good, I have been saying we need CB replacements for sometime. However I have no clue if Watson can just break into the MLS as a everyday CB instantly. Maybe eventually, I sure hope so, but I have never seen the guy other then his heading clinic of a highlight reel.

• 2 weeks later...

The Province is now reporting the WHitecaps have traded Re-Coker.

A long suspected and much needed move to eleviate cap room (Coker making 450k and playing off the bench mostly being used as a back up RB).

Caps probably were looking for a Striker, but landed Mauro Rosales instead. A good move I think, I always enjoyed watching Mauro. He will be dangerous alongside Morales as well.

This should give Hurtado, Mattocks and Salgado so many gifted chances in the box.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/08/21/whitecaps-trade-reo-coker-to-chivas-usa-for-rosales/

----------Ousted

Betia-OB-Leveron-Harvey

-------Koffie-Laba

Rosales-Morales-Teibert

----------Mattocks

The Province is now reporting the WHitecaps have traded Re-Coker.

A long suspected and much needed move to eleviate cap room (Coker making 450k and playing off the bench mostly being used as a back up RB).

Caps probably were looking for a Striker, but landed Mauro Rosales instead. A good move I think, I always enjoyed watching Mauro. He will be dangerous alongside Morales as well.

This should give Hurtado, Mattocks and Salgado so many gifted chances in the box.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/08/21/whitecaps-trade-reo-coker-to-chivas-usa-for-rosales/

----------Ousted

Betia-OB-Leveron-Harvey

-------Koffie-Laba

Rosales-Morales-Teibert

----------Mattocks

Apparently Rosales makes $450k as well

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April%201,%202014%20Salary%20Information%20-%20By%20Club.pdf

But will actually play and is a DP (so if I'm not mistaken only costs 355K on the cap) and he hads a Green Card so no INT spot

Also he will play in a spot we definitely could use the help, we have had non-wingers playing wing all year. It will be nice to see a guy wide who doesn't rely on his speed and cutting into the box to be effective.

We might actually see some quality crossing.

Whitecaps now have a scary midfield. You got Rosales who has like over 40 assists since 2011, two rocks in Laba and Koffie, an engine in Teibert, and potenital MVP in Morales. I cannot wait to get to see this group on the pitch live.

But will actually play and is a DP (so if I'm not mistaken only costs 355K on the cap) and he hads a Green Card so no INT spot

Also he will play in a spot we definitely could use the help, we have had non-wingers playing wing all year. It will be nice to see a guy wide who doesn't rely on his speed and cutting into the box to be effective.

We might actually see some quality crossing.

Whitecaps now have a scary midfield. You got Rosales who has like over 40 assists since 2011, two rocks in Laba and Koffie, an engine in Teibert, and potenital MVP in Morales. I cannot wait to get to see this group on the pitch live.

Granted i am happy with the trade, but I was more focused on ' eleviate cap room' which isn't true. 

Like the trade as none of our younger players have seemed to step up and make the wing theirs. Caps fill a void and give up a player who was in and out of the 18, let alone 11. Plus he can fill in for Morales when needed, which we've seen is a need as well.

My only question is how long his deal is for? Cause at 33yrs old if his best days are clearly behind him $450K is a lot of money.

I also think this is a good move for NRC as it can give him a chance to get back to his midfield bossing ways, which I'm sure he can and will with a good run of games... just kinda took his place at VWC for granted at the start of the season and got proven dead wrong.

I also think this is a good move for NRC as it can give him a chance to get back to his midfield bossing ways, which I'm sure he can and will with a good run of games... just kinda took his place at VWC for granted at the start of the season and got proven dead wrong.

What you've seen from NRC is par for the course for his career.  Stops caring, moves to new team, plays well, stops caring, moves to new team.......

I guess your speaking as a Caps fan and not a NT fan. I wouldn't disrupt whatever is going on with him at Dallas. You know what they say, If it ain't broke don't fix it. Then again though, if he keeps getting hat tricks we might want to break it just a little (for now lol).