Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

I'm sure the Caps will be using their USL team to great effect for just these reasons. More playing time for players who need it at a level high enough to challenge them but not over their heads. 

Are you really saying that a young player coming up who has looked good in 4 games should replace a player who has played very well for 2+ seasons? If you are not saying "give them playing time on the first team" then what is it you want exactly? You say "give them opportunities" which is very vague. I guess the V's cup matches and being coverage for the starting 11 isn't enough? Just how much do you want? They've been given pro contracts with the club, train daily with first rate player and coaching staff, play in V's Cup games but those aren't opportunity enough? After that it is up to the player to take the spot.

The progression from academy to signed player on the 30 MLS to the gameday 18 to the starting 11 is a very long haul. 

You state "Alderson, Teibert and Adekugbe all looked good this season and then they disappeared". I'm sorry but they are still very much around but you've definitely got to be more honest in your evaluations. Teibert lost his spot to Fernandez because the latter played better. I'm confident he'll win it back but no he isn't better (at this point) than the alternative. Either are the others (yet). 

As to the "what is this club's identity?" question I can only say it is to put a winning team on the field in an ultra competitive division and develop Canadian talent from ages 12 and up. 

It would have been great if Rob Friend had signed for us. We'd have had a big man up front for our 4-5-1 offence and a whole lot more first team minutes for Canadians on Vancouver. Would you be happy then? Of course not, you'd just find some other reason to dump on the Caps.

He stayed in Germany for less money than the Caps were offering then went to LA when he did come over. What are the Caps to do? Throw ridiculous amounts of money at a player like TFC did with JDG? While happy for Julian to cash in I'm thinking that didn't work out as well as we all hoped. Other players the Caps have pursued choose other places. Why don't you ask the players why they make these choices? 

As some others have asked "where is the positive comments about the Caps contribution to our U20 team?". 7 players who were in the Caps system for a long time are on it. Oh but that isn't first team minutes on the MLS squad, wah wah wah. 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why did they not loan out Alderson and Carducci to an NASL team? Sitting on the bench for the whole MLS season is not helping them develop. I thought since Alderson had a good preseason he would get a few minutes to show if he could preform in a regular MLS game.

the quota probably. 

Also the caps need a fucking centre back

Are you really saying that a young player coming up who has looked good in 4 games should replace a player who has played very well for 2+ seasons? If you are not saying "give them playing time on the first team" then what is it you want exactly? You say "give them opportunities" which is very vague. I guess the V's cup matches and being coverage for the starting 11 isn't enough? Just how much do you want? They've been given pro contracts with the club, train daily with first rate player and coaching staff, play in V's Cup games but those aren't opportunity enough? After that it is up to the player to take the spot.

Happens all the time. Zak Loyd of FCD is a better player than anyone on the Caps back line. He's been called in to USMNT camps. Yet he got replaced last year by 19-year-old Kelyn Acosta.

You make it sound like asking for a Canadian starter is like asking for a groundhog. In fact both other Canadian teams and a few American teams have Canadian starters.

Someone should call Carl Robinson and tell him to bench Omar Salgado (who barely plays, and is a forward/winger) for Bryce Alderson (who is defensive midfielder). That will really establish the credibility of some of the posters in this thread. It should also be pointed out that Toronto has one (1) consistent Canadian starter as does Montreal.

topdrawersoccer had a full list of homegrowns from each team, all of the Canadian teams are pretty much in line with the rest of the league in signing and playing homegrowns.

Pedro Morales is a pretty slick playmaker. Really like watching him play.

That was one of his more impressive outings. Wow. I was so hoping that his last second volley would find the back of the net. Just his luck that the Dallas keeper was very hot today. Saved several of his goal bound shots. 

As to the loan out question well Carducci needs to finish high school and the long distance loans of other players to east coast teams seems to be wrapped up with mixed results. The USL team will be totally controlled by the Caps so they can get players into the rotation whenever they want. Loans are always iffy propositions and while it might work for some controlling the whole thing is always better. 

Much to everyones shock and amazement Harvey transformed from journyman to solid LB. Offensively he is very good and has improved defensively hugely in the last few seasons. 

When has anyone said "give more playing time to Canadians?"????? WTF? Do you even read the threads? It is said all the time. Do a search.

"Very good"?? LOL. Yes, he has had some timely goals. No doubt. Tell me... What is Harvey's pass percentage? Cross accuracy? Has he ever seen a 40 yard ball to our tiny strikers he doesn't love? How often does the opposition successfully enter Whitecaps defensive third through his channel or into the space he has vacated? Harvey is STILL a journeyman left back. I can see Adekugbe being his back-up this year but if he isn't starting next year.....

Well I'd say tonight was typical for him. 34 passes complete and 8 incomplete. 6/8 incomplete in the attacking half. Most passes forward and in the attacking half. You can look it all up on Opta Chalkboard if you are interested. 

"Zak Loyd of FCD is a better player than anyone on the Caps back line. He's been called in to USMNT camps. Yet he got replaced last year by 19-year-old Kelyn Acosta."

Zak Loyd = 25 GP & 2132 minutes in 2013, 16 GP & 1257 minutes iso far in 2014 

Kellyn Acosta = 13 GP & 1004 minutes in 2013, 5 GP & 412 minutes so far in 2014

"Zak Loyd became the 16th player in franchise history to surpass 100 starts on Aug. 11 against the LA Galaxy… Started 22 of 23 matches for Dallas before suffering an injury in that match"

Yea he's really replaced Zak. Filled in for him might be a better term but never let facts get in the way of your opinionated nonsense.

Hey here is an idea. Why don't you start a thread called "Whitecaps Don't Do What I Think They Should" or something like that. Rather than entering every thread about the Caps and filling it with your nonsensical drivel? 

As to the loan out question well Carducci needs to finish high school and the long distance loans of other players to east coast teams seems to be wrapped up with mixed results. The USL team will be totally controlled by the Caps so they can get players into the rotation whenever they want. Loans are always iffy propositions and while it might work for some controlling the whole thing is always better. 

Carducci graduated high school in June.

Are there really people that believe Carl Robinson, who's job security and future reputation as a competent head coach is dependent on results, is in on some anti-Canadian conspiracy?

If Salgado gets minutes over Alderson and Fernandez over Teibert, it's because they've trained better.  Given how underwhelming Salgado has been in the minutes "given" to him, I'd say Alderson is not ready.

All those Canadians playing on TFC?  Guess what?  They happen to be better than the non-Canadians sitting on their bench.  The best players get playing time.  Weird.

Now, onto some interesting discussion.  Anyone have any predictions for the next DP signing?  Seeing the impact of a single player in Morales, if they can hit on another player of that caliber, I think it kickstarts them into legitimate playoff contender.

Now, onto some interesting discussion.  Anyone have any predictions for the next DP signing?  Seeing the impact of a single player in Morales, if they can hit on another player of that caliber, I think it kickstarts them into legitimate playoff contender.

Apparently they've been talking and looking at quite a few but nothing is happening and rather than get someone less than what they want they appear to be ready to finish the season with the group they started with. It could be just as well given how summer window signings have gone.

We are lucky to get one player of Pedro's caliber but I won't complain if we land more. The other night was just amazing display of skill in passing play making and shooting. If not for a super hot keeper he'd have had a hat trick. The thing that I find almost surreal about his play is that every time he gets the ball he seems to know where the pressure is coming from without looking and as he catches the ball he adjusts his body and has space and time suddenly.

Yeah, Pedro is a magician with the ball. An absolute joy to watch from the stands. I agree they shouldn't settle for less than they want, but I also believe we need to bring in at least a CB to relieve Mitchell from every game starter. OB and Leveron cannot play together as it's way too conservative with them both in.

As for striker, we could survive the season i think with the group we have it will be just on Robbo to rotate them so that we find the hot hand every game. Mattocks has had 3 in a row Hurtado had gone 5 or 6 in a row with a goal. Add Manneh, Salgado and Fernandez with the help Morales is bringing with goals and we might be fine.

Though it would be magnificent for the club to bring in a guy who can compliment Morales up front and finish his gift wrapped passes and lobs in the box at a much more consistent rate. Not sure who is out there who would be a good fit.

Any updates on Caleb Clarke? Last I heard he was recovering from injury.

I am really high on this guy and would love to see him healthy, training with the first team, and hopefully pushing the other strikers for playing time. Considering his successful loan with Augsburg II, I think he has what it takes to earn a few minutes down the stretch, as long as he puts in the hard work.

Could a guy like Clarke feature on the USL team next season? What are the player stipulations? I believe an MLS club can only loan out 4 players max at a time, but will such a limit exist considering the Caps will own this team? If so, perhaps the Caps will fill that USL roster with prospects not signed to MLS contracts? (Kroese, for example).

Any info on the new team would be great. Really excited to see it. I believe it shows that the Caps are in fact seeking solutions to the logjam in their development pipeline.

Damn, unfortunate. Was hoping he'd get on the field enough to make a case for September. Guess November against Panama will be his next NT target.

Just read the preview for the Fire game and its says Caleb's injury is a 'season ending injury'.  Next year I guess.

Archived