Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

Nah, just grab a guy from the Digicel pro league or wait for the draft.  Why would you sign a guy you developed?  Just loan him to Charleston until he gets fed up and leaves, that'll show him. 

Really?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fingers crossed.  Just wonder about his ability, seems to have really regressed in Germany

In theory he should be able to at least provide some depth and keep Leveron and Mitchell on their toes, but I have seen him make his share of errors. That being said, he's a good age with good experience and a BC boy to boot. Really hoping he signs on.

Man, is there a mailing list about this anti-Canadian player conspiracy that apparently controls this diverse set of coaches, leagues, owners and media types? It's so hard to keep up with the various mechanisms put in place to oppress these superior Canadian players. It's also weird that this alleged conspiracy only seemingly benefits Jordan Harvey. He must be a Rockefeller on his mom's side.

Jackson Farmer couldn't even win the starting CB spot at USL Charleston, but the team is supposed to demote three CBs, two with many years ahead of them, who have shown they are MLS starter quality, and one of the best young CB prospects in MLS to make room for him? He's as likely to be Adam Straith (look in the archives for the similar delusional hype machine around him) as he is Doniel Henry. It's hard for even good youth prospects to make the jump to solid pro careers, Vancouver has done a great job putting the mechanisms in place to develop these kids and get them playing time but at the end of the day they have to show they are better than a player on the senior squad to get on the field. 

Man, is there a mailing list about this anti-Canadian player conspiracy that apparently controls this diverse set of coaches, leagues, owners and media types? It's so hard to keep up with the various mechanisms put in place to oppress these superior Canadian players. It's also weird that this alleged conspiracy only seemingly benefits Jordan Harvey. He must be a Rockefeller on his mom's side.

You were invited but you decided

You were better off

Where you're at now

Don't look for the message

We lived it and left it

Jackson Farmer couldn't even win the starting CB spot at USL Charleston, but the team is supposed to demote three CBs, two with many years ahead of them, who have shown they are MLS starter quality, and one of the best young CB prospects in MLS to make room for him? He's as likely to be Adam Straith (look in the archives for the similar delusional hype machine around him) as he is Doniel Henry. It's hard for even good youth prospects to make the jump to solid pro careers, Vancouver has done a great job putting the mechanisms in place to develop these kids and get them playing time but at the end of the day they have to show they are better than a player on the senior squad to get on the field. 

There's no conspiracy.

The Whitecaps get criticized because their actions warrant it. No other club team in the World plays less domestic players than the Whitecaps. Oh, but the poor Whitecaps are being picked on. Get real.

If/when things change for the better, they will be praised for it.

There's no conspiracy.

The Whitecaps get criticized because their actions warrant it. No other club team in the World plays less domestic players than the Whitecaps. Oh, but the poor Whitecaps are being picked on. Get real.

If/when things change for the better, they will be praised for it.

If your complaint is about the amount of domestic players playing in the first team then stick to that argument.  Because you dont, it shows your anti Caps bias.

Stop saying they don't develop players, stop saying the Caps hate Canada, stop saying Bustos is a reflection of the Caps and Caps supporters, stop talking about Chilean flags and stop with the rhetoric.

As current and former Caps residency players make up 9 out of 18 for the Milk Cup, I look forward to your next post praising the development of national team players by the Caps. 

I never once made a single post on the Chilean flag issue. You are just making shit up. VWFC being misinformed once again, what else is new.

Whitecaps fans have a persecution complex.

As I said, people criticize the Caps because they've earned it. You choose to defend them no matter what their faults are because you are a fan. So be it.

If you want to ignore what has happened that's your prerogative.

I don't have an anti-Caps bias. I am simply pro-Canada.

I never once made a single post on the Chilean flag issue. VWFC being misinformed once again, what else is new.

Whitecaps fans have a persecution complex.

As I said, people criticize the Caps because they've earned it. You choose to defend them no matter what their faults are because you are a fan. So be it.

If you want to ignore what has happened that's your prerogative.

There was a whole thread about the flag and I don't keep a spread sheet on who said what, but you know what I'm talking about, narduch, so lets stick to the theme and leave the semantics to the English professors.  

I have never ever ever defended the amount of Canadians they play in the first team, but I have criticized them for it and I will again - it is a fault and it is piss poor of them.  

Saying I'm ignoring "what has happened" shows you dont actually read what I write.  Take a deep breathe and re-read my post.  I'm only asking for a bit of balance.

Still waiting for the praise about the Milk Cup squad - a real test of your fortitude narduch.  

Now, while I would love for the Whitecaps to give minutes to Forese, Adekube, Teibert, Alderson and Canadian Bustos, I understand that those players need to earn those minutes. In one match, they all proved to have enough talent to play in MLS. Problem is, it was just one match. Can they consistently show that quality? Maybe, but when you're in a dog fight for a playoff spot, do you really want to gamble? Hardly.

As MLS improves, it is going to be harder and harder for our young Canadians to break in. That is particularly true with teams having strong seasons. As Toronto continues to improve they're trending away from playing young Canadian's. Conversely, Montreal's decline coincides with the emergence of Ouimette, Tissot, and now JGL.

Over the last 3 years, the Caps have had a pretty solid roster, even when the results weren't there. When you have little to play for the young guys get chances, that is true of any team in any league.

Aside from being bad, the best hope for out NT young guys to get minutes is the CCL. This is why I was kind of hoping the Caps would win. The club is churning out so many talents that don't have a place to play.

I realize I am beating this dead horse, but once again I must say, if our players were domestics in this league, Vancouver could ship some of these players stateside for assets. I bet many teams would be interested in those guys if not for the international tag.

Sorry for interrupting your little spat fellas haha 

No worries, just trying to educate a bunch of people who don't know what "develop" means.

Your post above is decent, but it'll fall on deaf ears around here.     

Caps say they are looking for an experienced right-footed CB, and that Robinson is happy with the latino experiment.  Which immediately makes me want this guy to partner Leveron:

http://www.transfermarkt.com/jhon-kennedy-hurtado/profil/spieler/73698

Or someone in that vein.

If you are going to go out an get someone like that midseason I would hope it is someone who already understands the challenges of MLS.

It is the whole "GIVE" playing time mentality that I find so boring. This is supposed to be professional CLUB football. You are given nothing, you TAKE the spots by being better than the alternatives. For those of you who can't separate club  and country please go post your anti-whitecap bullshit on a TFC forum or whatever team you follow. 

The CSA mandates that 3 signed players be Canadian. The Whitecaps have 5. Oh but the almighty first team minutes are all that matters. Get a life. I am in favour of expanding the number of signed players be raised to 6 but from there on it is up to the player to TAKE the spot. This is a professional sport. There should NEVER be mandates on playing time. That leads players to complacent attitudes. That will not help our MNT.

It is that entitlement to playing time because they are Canadian attitude that is holding us back! You are the problem! You and your "give" playing time nonsense. If they are not good enough to TAKE the spot at the MLS level what makes you think they will ever be good enough to make a difference for our MNT? 

It is the whole "GIVE" playing time mentality that I find so boring. This is supposed to be professional CLUB football. You are given nothing, you TAKE the spots by being better than the alternatives. For those of you who can't separate club  and country please go post your anti-whitecap bullshit on a TFC forum or whatever team you follow. 

The CSA mandates that 3 signed players be Canadian. The Whitecaps have 5. Oh but the almighty first team minutes are all that matters. Get a life. I am in favour of expanding the number of signed players be raised to 6 but from there on it is up to the player to TAKE the spot. This is a professional sport. There should NEVER be mandates on playing time. That leads players to complacent attitudes. That will not help our MNT.

It is that entitlement to playing time because they are Canadian attitude that is holding us back! You are the problem! You and your "give" playing time nonsense. If they are not good enough to TAKE the spot at the MLS level what makes you think they will ever be good enough to make a difference for our MNT? 

Is there an Applause Emoticon?

Well said, and totally agree. Never in any sport at a Pro level is giving playing time acceptable, all it does is ruins the morale of guys who have earned their spot and lose it to a guy who because his passport is the right colour.

Robbo has already shown that when the kids earn their chance they will get playing time.

Now that Jay is gone, time for us to cut ties with Reo.C and bring in a legit finisher for up top. Mattocks and Hurtado have been good, but if we want to be a playoff team they will need some depth and help up front.

Giving playing time is wrong.  Obviously.

But when a kid like Adekugbe comes in for 2 matches and performs well why can he not break in for more minutes?  He's behind JORDAN HARVEY not Roberto Carlos FFS.  When has anyone ever said players should be GIVEN time?

Giving playing time is wrong.  Obviously.

But when a kid like Adekugbe comes in for 2 matches and performs well why can he not break in for more minutes?  He's behind JORDAN HARVEY not Roberto Carlos FFS.  When has anyone ever said players should be GIVEN time?

Much to everyones shock and amazement Harvey transformed from journyman to solid LB. Offensively he is very good and has improved defensively hugely in the last few seasons. 

When has anyone said "give more playing time to Canadians?"????? WTF? Do you even read the threads? It is said all the time. Do a search.

This is exactly how I feel, people do need to remember that these are pro clubs and their first priority is to win, stop treating them like they're just really large academies. As a Lyon fan, I'm all too familiar with watching a team push kids up too early instead of having solid, experienced players like i'm used to, no matter how much potential these young guys have (and at a club like Lyon most of them are much more highly touted then our 3 clubs) they are going to make big mistakes, they are going to cost the team points. I really want our young guys to start playing well in MLS but they need to earn it and if they don't they may end up worse off for it.

It would be one thing if the Caps were good. But they're not especially. Toronto is having a better season, and they somehow play Canadians.

Both teams have exactly one more win than they have losses, and Vancouver plays in the much more difficult Western conference.

Much to everyones shock and amazement Harvey transformed from journyman to solid LB. Offensively he is very good and has improved defensively hugely in the last few seasons. 

When has anyone said "give more playing time to Canadians?"????? WTF? Do you even read the threads? It is said all the time. Do a search.

You guys are twisting this now.  We're saying give them opportunities... i.e. even a few minutes! Not "gift" them opportunities... give them opportunities like any other player.  If you screw up then you don't get another opportunity for a while.. but guess what?! 

Remember that Salgado fella?  He was sure "given" a lot of opportunities.  Alderson is a year younger, Canadian and impressed more in his 2 appearances than salgado ever has and where is he?

Alderson, Teibert and Adekugbe all looked good this season and then they disappeared.  Quit acting like we're telling you guys to just gift minutes to players simply because they're Canadian.. we're saying at least give them a chance and if they aren't as good then don't play them!  Adekugbe with one half season could be a better left back than Jordan Harvey.

Forget the minutes for a second though.. what is this club's identity?  From an outsider's perspective it is a club that is full of internationals and mercenaries (i.e. Camilo) with no real love or true connection to the team/city/country.  Oh well besides Jay DeMerit being married to a Canadian skiier. 

As a TFC fan I'm proud that we have guys who are actual supporters of our club playing for us like Osorio, Henry, De Ro, Bekker ... even your lone Canadian isn't a Vancouver boy.  That's what defines a club, that's what creates a culture and passion.  You'll find that with any successful club worldwide. 

Why did they not loan out Alderson and Carducci to an NASL team? Sitting on the bench for the whole MLS season is not helping them develop. I thought since Alderson had a good preseason he would get a few minutes to show if he could preform in a regular MLS game.

Archived