Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

I'd rather move on from thinking of Camilo in a Canada kit.  I was skeptical of it to begin with (it's my right), and for me, this is far too speculative.  I'm not sure a poll of Whitecaps fans would necessarily want Camilo back, I'm certainly not ready to discuss him in the red and white again.

Yea a bit of a pipe dream of mine. Given our total lack of scoring ability and his being so far down the depth chart in Brazil that I was hoping for it. We can use all the help we can get. Never say never :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious if anyone thinks the Whitecaps will have an international friendly this year? I'm curious because Victoria Highlanders will play Rangers on 21july. Rangers will also play games in Sacramento and Los Angeles, and an "Unamed Canadian City"......

Since all those games are West coast I could see either Whitecaps or FC Edmonton getting a game. What you all think?

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/6988-gers-confirm-pre-season-tours

Following a successful training camp last year, the League One Champions will again head to Brora on 1 July for a six-day trip which includes a friendly against Buckie Thistle at Victoria Park on Thursday 3 July (7.30pm kick off) and a game against Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park on Sunday 6 July (3pm kick off).

Ally McCoist's squad will then travel to America and Canada from 12 July, playing two games in each country.

Rangers play Ventura County Fusion at Ventura College Sportsplex in California at 7pm on 15 July then Sacramento Republic FC at Bonney Field, Sacramento at 7.30pm on 19 July.

The Light Blues then play two games in Canada – against Victoria Highlanders at the Centennial Stadium, British Columbia at 6pm on 21 July with another fixture on 23 July to be confirmed in due course.

23july....whitecaps schedule looks empty...

19 RSL on the Road and 27th FC Dallas @ Home

FC Edmonton same dates same scenario.

Ouch. Mighty Rangers stooping to play PDL/USL Pro opposition. I think they might want to avoid getting their asses kicked by an MLS side.

lol there's a lot of irony on a V's board posting this, as I know you are well aware jpg :)  Don't forget that Canada stooped to play Ventura County and we tied 1-1.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the Whitecaps game.  If Hurtado was considered a little shaky at the start of the season...I think all this extra playing time, and all this confidence...

Is Hurtado now fully legit as a starter?  Great first half...

I'd say yes. He is on a goal a game streak currently at 5 and counting so you're going to see him continue to start as long as that continues. He is also getting assists and drawing PKs. He has really addressed his deficiencies of running at 4 defenders with head down, poor first touch, vision, passing, playmaking and holding the ball up. He has quite quickly become all round great forward. Huge improvement this year and is a real handful for defenders due to his quickness and build.

Kudos to the Whitecaps training staff who have worked with him on improving his game.

• 2 weeks later...

Two piss poor showings by the Caps, but still picked up one point. Hoping the summer transfer window will allow Robbo to work a bit more transfer magic and bring in a solid ST and CB to solidfy this squad, and it is time to sell Coker or w/e he needs to move on.

Hurtado has been good, but it's glaringly obvious we could use a front man who can hold up the ball and be the guy to lay it off for Morales to work his magic on the ball. Doesn't have to be a huge guy, but definitely strong on the ball.

We could also use a few useful natural wide players. With Teibert now manning the middle, we have been left with Manneh, Mattocks, Mezquida and Fernandez to all play out of their natural central spots to man the flanks.

All of those guys I think could be talked up in MLS trades to bring in some quality MLS proven wide players. Also, as always I'll say we need an upgrade on Harvey.

As for a CB, I know we have 5 of them on the roster, but I still see this as a weak link on the club. Without DeMerit this backline is in dissarry. At this point if I am Robbo I wouldn't rely on DeMerit being durable enough to rely our season on. O'Brien, Leveron and Mitchell have proved in a short time without a steady hand like Jay steering them the Whitecaps are in trouble. We could definitely use another Jay type CB a guy who can organize and lead the backline while DeMerit is healing up and inevitably when he returns to provide cover if and when Jay gets hurt again.

TheKottonmouthed. Yea I know what you mean but we are still playing a glorified 4-5-1. I know it is called the 4-2-3-1 but it always collapses back and going forward doesn't offer much. I'm wondering how a 4-4-2 with 2 of the 3 speedsters up top would work? A diamond mid with Laba in front of the CBs, Morales up top, RT on the right and Ferandez on the left (switching from time to time). I know that only gives us one DM in front of the back line but Laba is more than capable of doing that. He has had a pair of off games. I think he'll be ready and back to his normal self now.

To do the 4-5-1 you really need a holding forward. Occean might be available. At 32 a bit old but still a very skilled holding forward. Have him train Omar who is currently the only other option at that position. We got some good results with some balanced scoring but recently that has slowed and other teams are adjusting to our speed advantage.

As to the CBs maybe pull a Holland and go with 5-3-2 and let the RB & LB move up all the time. It ends up like a 3-4-3 a lot but with Mitchell in the middle, Leveron on the left and AndyO on the right we would have a good mix of speed (Mitch), passing (Leveron) and experience (Andy). Can the players adjust to it? I don't know.

Seattle will be an interesting test.

TRM. You hit that basically bang on. The 4-5-1 definitely needs a better holding forward something Hurtado is not. I would not be against an Occean move, I think he could still have enough in the tank for an MLS season or two.

Though I think I am leaning more to your idea of the 4-4-2 in the diamond. I would be more than comfortable with Laba alone in front of the CB's if RT is out right he would be able to help Laba out at times. As for Seba, I have not been a huge fan of his so far he has talent, but need to start working harder.

I think the 3 at the back idea, could work. but in the MLS it could backfire big time considering it would leave us only Dean as a CB not being used every game, I just don't think you can have enough CB depth in the MLS to pull off a full-time 3 man back.

Does anyone have any info on Caleb Clarke?  His loan finished on June 30th - is he back training with the Caps?  he'd be eligible to play correct?  

He's still listed on loan on the website and I haven't been to practice in a while.   

Does anyone have any info on Caleb Clarke?  His loan finished on June 30th - is he back training with the Caps?  he'd be eligible to play correct?  

He's still listed on loan on the website and I haven't been to practice in a while.   

I recall hearing something about him having a knee injury which kept him out of the CMNT camp. If I recall correctly he had surgery and was supposed to be out for the rest, if not most of the rest of the MLS season

• 3 weeks later...

As for a CB, I know we have 5 of them on the roster, but I still see this as a weak link on the club. Without DeMerit this backline is in dissarry. At this point if I am Robbo I wouldn't rely on DeMerit being durable enough to rely our season on. O'Brien, Leveron and Mitchell have proved in a short time without a steady hand like Jay steering them the Whitecaps are in trouble. We could definitely use another Jay type CB a guy who can organize and lead the backline while DeMerit is healing up and inevitably when he returns to provide cover if and when Jay gets hurt again.

Demerit to retire this week.  Where does that leave the Caps backline?

Demerit to retire this week.  Where does that leave the Caps backline?

Cheaper, younger, and less injury-prone. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but he was past expiry. NRC and AOB must be next. Let's see if the two of them survive the season.

Cheaper, younger, and less injury-prone. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy but he was past expiry. NRC and AOB must be next. Let's see if the two of them survive the season.

Isn't Straith training with you guys? Any chance he can get picked up?

Wonder if Jackson Farmer gets signed with the Demerit retirement?

Nah, just grab a guy from the Digicel pro league or wait for the draft.  Why would you sign a guy you developed?  Just loan him to Charleston until he gets fed up and leaves, that'll show him. 

There is a homegrown spot open I believe, but I think they would probably be more interested in signing a more experienced defender with the cap room they cleared up incase of injury. Jackson likely wouldnt see game time this year anyway and will be with the USL PRO team next year, wouldn't make much of a difference right now.

They still have 4 CBs. Mitch/Leveron have been getting more of the time recently. Andy while older could still partner with Dean.  I think they'll keep the 4 as it is for now barring injury etc. That is a fairly good mix of youth and experience. 

At 19 he could use more playing time before he attempts the jump to MLS and I think he may get signed but play with the USL team next year.

He's already signed to a PDL contract, and, yes, he would be the fifth choice CB this year and get no time at the MLS level. It's a tough road for him, Mitchell, Leveron and Dean are all early in their careers and are all in the conversation for starting spots for the forseeable future. He needs a couple of years in USL anyway.

Archived