Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

If there was ever something I'd love to erase it's the pictures of me in the 70s. Sheesh. What were we thinking?  :)

We have several options at CB so we are covered there. Mitchell, Leveron and Dean have all shown MLS level skills. Both our guys last night are old but I think they'll see the season out (with the right rotation). Andy O'Brien looked real good. Constant interceptions and clearances.

What make you want Ousted gone? He has played very well this year.

I think Ousted is shit. capable of brilliant stops, but his decision making is so meh, leading to some amusing brain farts. srsly. has he been that much better than Knighton, who cost helluva a lot less?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Ousted is shit. capable of brilliant stops, but his decision making is so meh, leading to some amusing brain farts. srsly. has he been that much better than Knighton, who cost helluva a lot less?

No he hasn't at all. He's a hazard in the back.

Ousted Ousted, I try to like you

you're not helping.

Guest ClaytonA

Thought the interview/media conference call answer Robinson gave was that he felt he had had success with recruiting from South America, not that they are signing someone from there...

I'm going off what was said here:http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/05/miller-moves-on or here

Hell I'd rather they took the amount of Miller's salary this year above the salary cap portion-$375K? and put it into coaching, a reserve team, or improving local development.  Unless it's someone like a Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane, etc goal scorer a better investment is thinking longer term. 

They have a much harder time getting top tier players playing on artificial turf way up there in the Northwest in that second country MLS has teams where everyone from the Eastern Seaboard ignores you b/c your in Canada, press deadlines, late night TV times etc.

According to Mike Martignago, Nigel Reo-Coker will part ways with the Whitecaps in a bit more than 2 weeks after the Seattle game.

This is expected, he is not getting into any games, one start since his 'bike rack' incident and it was with a bunch of 17 year olds in the Vcup. Laba, Koffie, Teibert and Alderson and Ballouchy are enough in the middle with Morales, Manneh, Mezquida, and Seba in the Attacking Mid and Wing roles

And Demerit will retire at the end of the year

This is a shame cause he has been a force in the centre back spot. He dominates the air and is a great yin to O'Brien's yang; however not worried either Leveron, Mitchell and Dean have a ll looked capable of the MLS over their time with th Whitecaps.

As for the Miller replacement I am very intrigued to see who we pick up. Robinson has quickly proved he has the ability to bring in some great attacking talent.

I was surprised Robinson said he was happy with the way they played vs Columbus. The team was pretty awful vs. Crew, only that the rival was even weaker. Our goal made us look better because even though were doing little, we were winning. Sick of watching the defenders boot balls to the opposing team's backs cause Hurtado was not able to outrun them going back every time to hold the ball up--and in the midfield where there is no point doing that. You have these talented ball handlers who are consistently denied the ball by the backs and even the keeper because the coach does not believe in playing in a way that might make his talent on the field shine. Mind you we did that last year, Reo-Cocker was also denied his virtues for large sections of games.

What I don't get is how talent gets so easily contaminated by lesser talent.

Great Hurtado goal, he was very mature and looked really good, though a bit alone. Was surprised Manneh was tired at the end and could not outrun anyone, needs to improve conditioning maybe. Nice to see young talent doing a good job and stepping up, very encouraging. More encouraged by the chances the coach gives to some younger players than his tactics. And very much agree about Ousted, he is a very limited keeper, he lacks confidence to do some basic things pro keepers should know how to do (hold not punch, throw out to an outside back, which he always fakes like he is going to do, detracts, and boots up).

Personally think Reo-Cocker should stick it out as he should have the balls to win back a starting spot, he can't have lost the skills and heart that quickly, can't believe it.

I was happy at the way we pressured a tired team that had played 3 games in 7 days. I was happy by the number of chances we created mostly from Crew turnovers. I was totally appalled by the score of 1-0. No way should it have been that close. 3-0 or more would be more like it considering we out chanced them constantly. Their only real chances came from headers that they repeatedly put high. Not good giving up that many free headers.

The only CB we have who has shown consistent passing up to the mids is Leveron. Mitchell somewhat, AndyO less and JDM at the low end. It may have been a case of they are tired so go long and let Hurtado, Manneh & Fernandez wear them out. They may have been instructed to go long, I don't know.

Agree on NRC but disagree on Ousted. As MLS keepers go he is a decent value for the money. Yes I wish we had Courtois but we don't and he'll be starting at Chelsea next year so even Athletico won't have him anymore. It will be interesting to see how they do without him next year. Keeper of the year IMHO.

No, no point in having Courtois in MLS. And true, most MLS keepers are what  you'd expect for 250+ a year, I think the highest paid MLS keeper was Mondragon and not even sure Keller was given more back in Seattle. But still, you can't say Ousted is clearly an improvement on last year, we are about the same.

Courtois is not only the player of the year in the Liga this year, regardless of how their last two "finals" go, he may be an option for FiFA World Player podium if Belgium can go deep in the WC, which I see as possible.

No, no point in having Courtois in MLS. And true, most MLS keepers are what  you'd expect for 250+ a year, I think the highest paid MLS keeper was Mondragon and not even sure Keller was given more back in Seattle. But still, you can't say Ousted is clearly an improvement on last year, we are about the same.

Courtois is not only the player of the year in the Liga this year, regardless of how their last two "finals" go, he may be an option for FiFA World Player podium if Belgium can go deep in the WC, which I see as possible.

Belgium has stars in all the big teams. My guess is their defense is as good as any's and that can take them very deep into the tournament.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=452284

Sure, more idle speculation, but perhaps we shouldn't rule out Camilo just yet.  IF he comes back, how many goals does he have to score before we forgive him?  And he'd better fire his agent, pronto.

I honestly don't blame a player for trying to get as much money as possible. If Camilo breaks his leg tomorrow his career could be over and how would he support his family then? Caps should have rid themselves of Miller in the off season and gave Camilo a DP contract then. 

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=452284

Sure, more idle speculation, but perhaps we shouldn't rule out Camilo just yet.  IF he comes back, how many goals does he have to score before we forgive him?  And he'd better fire his agent, pronto.

One. The first one he scores for Canada all will be forgiven   ;)

Seriously given our lack of finish and having Miller move on and Camilo's age it would be great to have him back in a Caps kit.

I'd rather move on from thinking of Camilo in a Canada kit.  I was skeptical of it to begin with (it's my right), and for me, this is far too speculative.  I'm not sure a poll of Whitecaps fans would necessarily want Camilo back, I'm certainly not ready to discuss him in the red and white again.

I'd rather move on from thinking of Camilo in a Canada kit.  I was skeptical of it to begin with (it's my right), and for me, this is far too speculative.  I'm not sure a poll of Whitecaps fans would necessarily want Camilo back, I'm certainly not ready to discuss him in the red and white again.

Oddly enough, one of the radio stations did a poll today and about 65% are for it.

Oddly enough, one of the radio stations did a poll today and about 65% are for it.

That surprises me, I wouldn't have thought that.  There are people that couldn't forgive DeRo for a heat of the moment cheque signing gesture, but they forgive Camilo this.  Sometimes Vancouver seems like another planet to me lol

Bringing back Camilo would set up a very bad situation for the locker room, since we have all these guys working hard to show the Caps could move beyond him. Including in goal scoring. Stats say we have had 8 scorers, most in the league, meaning we are scoring as a team, the combinations are coming from a lot of people in a lot of places. Don't ruin that.

The only type of player we might accept is a proven striker and a veteran and someone who is a team player, as he'd help the younger guys and be a positive contribution to the locker room. And only then would the youngsters have to put up the resulting salary difference.

Archived