Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

Unfortunately, that puts Alderson on the chopping block, if and when blocks need to be chopped, if he doesn't find a way into the squad.  

Isn't he HGP... i.e. doesn't count towards the cap either way?

Edit: never mind, already discussed... how do you delete posts on this new site?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can they justify paying Alderson a six figure wage when he doesnt play at all and the odds of him getting playing time is slim. Could they not loan him out to a NASL team?

If their was interest in him overseas then cutting him off the team might be in his best interest. Staying in Vancouver isnt helping his career right now. It seems to me like a token Home Grown Player...

How can they justify paying Alderson a six figure wage when he doesnt play at all and the odds of him getting playing time is slim. Could they not loan him out to a NASL team?

If their was interest in him overseas then cutting him off the team might be in his best interest. Staying in Vancouver isnt helping his career right now. It seems to me like a token Home Grown Player...

This^

Right now he's looking a lot like Phillipe Davies.

They (VWFC) don't pay him "a six figure wage", he is paid from a general fund provided by Adidas to sign promising young players so that they have a financial incentive to stay and not leave for Europe. He was signed to said contract because he was a 17 year old coming off a good showing at the U17 WC and was within half a year of his 18th bday and had interest from EPL clubs.

Alderson has been on the squad for three years so I doubt he is still on the Generation Adidas sponsorship program. And if he is then that makes it even worse since I have never heard of any Generation Adidas player not getting any playing time.  Three seasons and not a single minute of playing time.

Alderson has been on the squad for three years so I doubt he is still on the Generation Adidas sponsorship program. And if he is then that makes it even worse since I have never heard of any Generation Adidas player not getting any playing time.  Three seasons and not a single minute of playing time.

He signed in November 2011, so he has two seasons prior to this season and i don't think he has seen the field much - if at all - so he must surely be still GA (pretty sure they're 3 year deals unless milestones are reached in either of the first two seasons). Anyways, the kid isn't even 20 yet, and they're not paying his salary so it would not be in the Whitecaps interest to give up on a young talented player because he isn't starting at arguably their deepest positions.

He signed in November 2011, so he has two seasons prior to this season and i don't think he has seen the field much - if at all - so he must surely be still GA (pretty sure they're 3 year deals unless milestones are reached in either of the first two seasons). Anyways, the kid isn't even 20 yet, and they're not paying his salary so it would not be in the Whitecaps interest to give up on a young talented player because he isn't starting at arguably their deepest positions.

Last year he was hurt for most of the year, including during most of the time he spent on loan with the Charleston Battery. When he returned from Charleston after their season ended, he was unable to play for the Caps due to one of those mysterious MLS rules regarding returning loanees. This year he has by all accounts looked very good and the coaches are saying all of the right things. I would expect him to get some action in the Voyageurs Cup at a minimum. Unlike Rennie, I could see Robinson using some younger players in these games (the reserves spanked the Eddies a few weeks ago). I also understand that he turned down a loan opportunity to Charleston again this season. Also, this year at least he is buried behind the likes of Laba, Koffie, NRC rather than guys like Vagenas, Watson, Davidson and Thorrington. At the very least he has some good players to learn from.

Caps got lucky there, that first goal was an easy offside call/horrible rebound by Rimando.  And that tying goal was horrible keeping by Rimando as well.. sure it was a good shot but it should have been saved for a corner.

I thought so as well on the first goal but watching it and stopping the playback at the point of Mattocks shot he is on side. #6 for RSL keeps him on. So still a lucky point for us but at least the goals were legit.

PS. Just checked the second angle from the highlights. It was offside. From the first angle it looked on but the second was clearly off. I guess it depends where the side judge was at that split second.

The league also suspended Vancouver Whitecaps goalkeeper Paolo Tornaghi one game on Friday and fined him an undisclosed amount for running onto the field after Sebastian Fernandez’s 35-yard shot in the 94th minute tied the game at 2 against Real Salt Lake on Saturday night.

Does Carducci get to be on the bench, then?

Great first 20 and then survived our own pitfalls for the rest. Didn't look very good in the second half but got the 3 points. Need them points badly. West is heating up. San Jose looked dreadful for the first 20 minutes. I wouldn't even insult D3 teams by saying they looked like it. Real bad 20 minutes for them and we put 3 in.

had a good time mocking the 70s look. what a cracker by Morales who had a coming out party

but Caps need to shop for a CB in summer or else they will crash and burn in 2nd half of the season. and replace Ousted while you're at it

had a good time mocking the 70s look. what a cracker by Morales who had a coming out party

but Caps need to shop for a CB in summer or else they will crash and burn in 2nd half of the season. and replace Ousted while you're at it

If there was ever something I'd love to erase it's the pictures of me in the 70s. Sheesh. What were we thinking?  :)

We have several options at CB so we are covered there. Mitchell, Leveron and Dean have all shown MLS level skills. Both our guys last night are old but I think they'll see the season out (with the right rotation). Andy O'Brien looked real good. Constant interceptions and clearances.

What make you want Ousted gone? He has played very well this year.

Archived