Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

All I have to say about the Houston game is, once again, holy crap.  Pedro Morales could be the best player that has even laced 'em up for the Caps if he keeps on like this.

Am I the only one that noticed that the Dynamo at times had 3 people rushing Morales?  They sure realized fast what he was capable of, and tried to slow him down in the 2nd half, and it was SOMEWHAT successful except that it left the rest of the pitch glaringly open at times.  

We shall see how Morales does since he is quickly on the radar of all opposing coaches.  He will get very little time and space from now on, I think, but man is he an amazing player so far from what I've seen.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All I have to say about the Houston game is, once again, holy crap.  Pedro Morales could be the best player that has even laced 'em up for the Caps if he keeps on like this.

Am I the only one that noticed that the Dynamo at times had 3 people rushing Morales?  They sure realized fast what he was capable of, and tried to slow him down in the 2nd half, and it was SOMEWHAT successful except that it left the rest of the pitch glaringly open at times.  

We shall see how Morales does since he is quickly on the radar of all opposing coaches.  He will get very little time and space from now on, I think, but man is he an amazing player so far from what I've seen.

Absolutely, but what is key is that we have a squad that has workrate, energy, pace and creativity.. deployed the right way any combination of Tiebert, Miller, Manneh, Fernandez, Mezquida and even Mattocks, will be key in opening up space and giving the opposition more problems if they double up on Pedro!

It's tough for opposition either way, they can't afford to give Morales space but likewise we can hurt them if they over commit players marking him.

Robinson needs to be a touch careful with the likes of Miller, AOB and JDM though, we don't want them burning out and although we have a lot of exciting attacking players to keep involved we need to bring through the likes of Leveron, Mitchell and Dean, while keeping the older players fit and energized for the full season.

Loving Kenny Millers energy and work rate, plus he just oozes class in his finishing. Full credit also to Mattocks, who while can't hit the barn door with a banjo (bless him) but he was instrumental with his posession and running on and off the ball. I hope our coaches can really work with him to improve his finishing, tons of potential there.

It will be very hard to cover Morales even when they are aware of him. He has ways of creating space for himself that is truly eirie. Every time the ball got to him he already knew where the pressure was coming from and adjusted the pass reception and direction. Sometimes forward some back and the delightful fake one direction and then just stand there and let the defender go past. He has a bag of tricks that will be very hard to cover. I'm getting the idea we haven't seen his best which is scary. Even when double covered he just passed the ball quickly and accurately. His long pass to Gersh was a classic breakout diagonal screamer.

I heard about Omar and this is getting real sad. Such a great talent and he just can't seem to keep injury free. The fact that it is always the same injury does not bode well.

Funny how I was meaning to post all day yesterday a comment to the effect that "now you know one of the key differences between Spain and MLS: in major pro leagues you do not get time on the ball the way you do in 2nd tier ones". Morales clearly looks better because he can do for Van what very few can do in a top league, him included. I am often surprised by how soft defensive pressure is in certain leagues, like Holland.

We had more chances but didn't put enough in. F'ing Reffing aside our coach made his first mistake. He pull Gersh out for a more offensive player when the score was still at 0-0. With no other true DMs on the bench or in the game we were a bit lost when Laba got his second yellow and got ejected. Funny or pathetic but the ref didn't seem to know he'd given a previous yellow to Laba and some of the Colorado players had to tell him before he checked.

F'ing Reffing aside our coach made his first mistake. He pull Gersh out for a more offensive player when the score was still at 0-0. With no other true DMs on the bench or in the game we were a bit lost when Laba got his second yellow and got ejected. 

Last year people were screaming at how conservative Rennie was, so Robbo makes a positive substitution for a player who wasn't looking good.  The substitution was well received in the stands at the time and after bringing on Seba we went on to score and should have had 2.

Easy to say with the hindsight of the ejection, but pretty harsh to call it a mistake.   

Actually Gersh played well and putting in Fernandez was a good offensive move. Problem was there was no NRC to sub in once Laba was red carded and with Gersh off that left a hole defensively in front of the back 4. Mistake may be harsh so suffice to say it didn't work out as planned. Oh well on to our back to back games with LA. Laba out expect NRC and Gersh in the middle with our 4-2-3-1.

Weber on salary numbers released today: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/04/10/pedro-morales-is-highest-paid-whitecap/

A few tidbits:

Bryce Alderson ($115,000) is the highest-paid Canadian, ahead of Russell Teibert ($72,000)

Nigel Reo-Coker’s salary has jumped from $237,000 to $447,000

Third-overall draft pick Christian Dean ($161,000) is a Generation adidas signing, which means his salary doesn’t count against the cap.

--

Almost criminal how little Teibert makes. Wonder if Alderson had an offer from Europe or something leading the Caps to up the ante for his pay. As speculated, NRC has indeed almost double his pay (while almost halving his play).

Unfortunately, that puts Alderson on the chopping block, if and when blocks need to be chopped, if he doesn't find a way into the squad.  

Alderson is an off budget player, so it doesn't really matter how much he makes. I don't think that it puts him on the chopping block at all. As long as he's an off-budget, the team shouldn't worry about the amount that he's making.

Alderson is an off budget player, so it doesn't really matter how much he makes. I don't think that it puts him on the chopping block at all. As long as he's an off-budget, the team shouldn't worry about the amount that he's making.

From a pure business standpoint, it still will.

How do you figure?

Hm...your response has me thinking I might be missing something about how the rules work.  Can someone quickly explain to me exactly how home grown players effect the cap, and how exactly it works that the MLS pays the players salary?  Maybe I need more enlightening on this, but for me, if TFC has to pay at all, or if it effects the cap at all...then yeah...but I know Alderson is homegrown, so doesn't count against the cap.  Is that correct?

For me, my confusion lies in not understanding how it works with salaries.  Sometimes last week someone corrected me and said that MLS plays some players salaries, and that confuses the crap out of me lol...that's sort of what I want explained?  Sorry for my ignorance :)

Hm...your response has me thinking I might be missing something about how the rules work.  Can someone quickly explain to me exactly how home grown players effect the cap, and how exactly it works that the MLS pays the players salary?  Maybe I need more enlightening on this, but for me, if TFC has to pay at all, or if it effects the cap at all...then yeah...but I know Alderson is homegrown, so doesn't count against the cap.  Is that correct?

For me, my confusion lies in not understanding how it works with salaries.  Sometimes last week someone corrected me and said that MLS plays some players salaries, and that confuses the crap out of me lol...that's sort of what I want explained?  Sorry for my ignorance :)

I'm not sure about homegrown players who pays or not, but short story: Homegrown players don't affect the cap. Alderson is on a Generation adidas-style contract hence the big salary. I don't see the Whitecaps cutting Alderson unless they have 2 better prospects in the Whitecaps system that are MLS ready.

MLS pays pretty much every salary except the supplement for DP's. Let's take for exemple Marco Di Vaio, MLS will pay $ 350,000 of his salary. And the Impact will pay the $2.25 M remaining. 

I'm sure that cap conoisseur Rudi will tell you all you need to know about that cap. 

I'm not sure about homegrown players who pays or not, but short story: Homegrown players don't affect the cap. Alderson is on a Generation adidas-style contract hence the big salary. I don't see the Whitecaps cutting Alderson unless they have 2 better prospects in the Whitecaps system that are MLS ready.

MLS pays pretty much every salary except the supplement for DP's. Let's take for exemple Marco Di Vaio, MLS will pay $ 350,000 of his salary. And the Impact will pay the $2.25 M remaining. 

I'm sure that cap conoisseur Rudi will tell you all you need to know about that cap. 

Yeah hopefully he will.  Because to me, it makes very little sense...because while I get that they are trying to create some amount of parity between the organizations, if it's the MLS paying them, then how does it get decided that say, Alderson gets 100k while Hurtado gets 51k?  Who does the deciding?  

Monte, MLS pays all salaries so the business part of is taken out of the equation. And his being a GA means no cap hit so his salary is irrelevant (for now).

So how does the decision making process go, that Alderson, who has never played a professional top tier game gets 100k?  Did MLS make that decision? Did Vancouver? Can Alderson move backwards in salary?  If he doesn't play much this season, will it be MLS who justifies whether he stays or goes from Vancouver?  Because it always seems to be the teams decision in that regard, right?  This leaves me with more questions than answers, and I still think business has to play a part somehow.  That 100k comes from somewhere and has to be justified.

So how does the decision making process go, that Alderson, who has never played a professional top tier game gets 100k? Did MLS make that decision? Did Vancouver? Can Alderson move backwards in salary? If he doesn't play much this season, will it be MLS who justifies whether he stays or goes from Vancouver? Because it always seems to be the teams decision in that regard, right? This leaves me with more questions than answers, and I still think business has to play a part somehow. That 100k comes from somewhere and has to be justified.

Vancouver justifies everything since he's a homegrown player. The difference is that it doesn't matter if Alderson is starting or not with the salary because he's worth something. Players who make less than Alderson don't have interest abroad. Vancouver is just protecting its investment. They believe that he'll be a good MLS player soon. Is it this year? I don't know. They were patient with Teibert, and Alderson is 20. If the Whitecaps think that Alderson is not anymore a top prospect, they will cut him. I'd say that Alderson is like a player on a rookie contract in the NHL. You'll be patient to see where he'll go from there to make it to the show.

You  guys  are  doing  fine  this  season   as  a  TFC   Supporter   I  am  still   pulling  for  you .  You  guys  have  been   very  unlucky  the  last  2  games   especially  at  home  v   Colorado, Trust  I  know  the  feeling  after  last   Saturday.   I  am  glad  you  guys  are  giving  Tiebert   some  playing  time.   Hopefully    Alderson  will  be  next.   Good Luck   this  season

Archived