Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canada have not played a Competitive "A" match since Honduras. Froese is not cap tied.

He's played a competitve U17 match for Cuba and he had to use his one-time switch to play for Canada at the U17 World Cup. So yes unless Manitoba or BC becomes a free country, he's captied.

At this point, Koffie is a better player than Teibert. There is no arguing that. Was yesterday the right time to make that change? Who knows. You can't say the proof is in the pudding, because in the end, that selection had no impact on the result.

Yes, the performance was not pretty, but the Whitecaps gave up only 2 shots on target in a road playoff match in a place they have always struggled. One defensive lapse and one bad penalty call. I can't blame either Robinson or his selections for this outcome.

Obviously Koffie has more power and he's probably the better defender of the two. But having said that, if you have a player like Teibert who can distribute the ball well, you don't need to defend so much. So IMO, Teibert should have played, especially if you got a player like Laba next to him.

Based on some comments made by Fernandez on Vancouver looking in South America for a new striker, I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke wanted out. Although I imagine he has wanted out for a while now.

I thought it was Morales who mentioned that. Anyway I can see the Caps need for a striker. All those on the Caps board who brushed off Camilo's loss as nothing big or somebody will step up have been shown completely wrong. Excellent strikers are rare and we lost a very good one. Oh well (I still curse his agent) learn and don't lose the next one.

More than anything a knowledgeable player who can play the forward position so the younger ones can learn from them is crucial. Miller had a great impact on Hurtado and Manneh. Those are the 2 best we have currently and they have a long way to go. 

With Salgado and Mattocks on the outs and probably part of off season trades there will be more spots opening up. We'll see how Clarke and others fit into the plans. 

Based on some comments made by Fernandez on Vancouver looking in South America for a new striker, I wouldn't be surprised if Clarke wanted out. Although I imagine he has wanted out for a while now.

What do you base that on?

If Koffie and Laba are first choice for Robbo, what happens to Teibert? I still don't know what his best position is.

first off the bench sub? with CCL and V Cup, injuries and squad rotation, Teibert should get enough mins, considering he can fill in for multiple positions

If Koffie and Laba are first choice for Robbo, what happens to Teibert? I still don't know what his best position is.

He was third choice this year behind Laba and Koffie and got over 2000 min.  Minimum 4 extra games next year.  What's the concern?

Central mid. 

Teibert's versatility make him very valuable and able to get minutes. If Fernandez doesn't get re-signed then there is a spot on the left. If they keep Rosales then he'll at least get minutes subbing in for him. Add in coverage at DM for Laba & Koffie and you have a lot of potential minutes. We'll see but I think he'll top his 1971 MLS minutes from this year.

I've always thought he got his best results playing right mid. More goals and assists than from any other position he's played. So at least offensively he's been the best on the right. His persistence and energizer bunny routine work defensively at any of the midfield positions he's been in.

Thoughts on Adekugbe? He's looked fantastic in the few minutes I've seen him play. IMO should get more minutes but is still behind Harvey at LB

What about Carducci? Any chance of him being the backup as I've heard speculated by McMahon?

Let's see what the expansion draft does to the Whitecaps first. Some of these scenarios could solve themselves.

I think Adekugbe is ready to play, but Harvey is ahead of him. There will definitely be a couple more games for Sam plus USL Pro.

I wouldn't want Carducci to be the full time back up. He is still so young. Keep Tornaghi around for another year while Marco gets a full season of USL Pro. Slow and steady progress. Hell, the kid is still playing U18 games this year FFS.

Froese and Bustos may get the occasional appearance. Again USL Pro for them once they finish tearing apart the U18 league. European loans or training stints in the offseason wouldn't surprise me for these two either.

Alderson and Clarke will probably be gone.

USL Pro should look like a residency all star team from the last couple of years:

Carducci

Adekugbe

Farmer

Bustos

Froese

Piraux

Haynes

Let's see what the expansion draft does to the Whitecaps first. Some of these scenarios could solve themselves.

I think Adekugbe is ready to play, but Harvey is ahead of him. There will definitely be a couple more games for Sam plus USL Pro.

I wouldn't want Carducci to be the full time back up. He is still so young. Keep Tornaghi around for another year while Marco gets a full season of USL Pro. Slow and steady progress. Hell, the kid is still playing U18 games this year FFS.

Froese and Bustos may get the occasional appearance. Again USL Pro for them once they finish tearing apart the U18 league. European loans or training stints in the offseason wouldn't surprise me for these two either.

Alderson and Clarke will probably be gone.

USL Pro should look like a residency all star team from the last couple of years:

Carducci

Adekugbe

Farmer

Bustos

Froese

Piraux

Haynes

Not sure why Clarke would be gone. The guy had a very respectable strike rate in Germany. I could easily see him getting minutes off the bench if some of the Caps current striker options move on, which is likely... especially if he rips it up in USL-Pro. I don't see him going anywhere.

I also think anyone who says Alderson has a low ceiling hasn't seen him play much. I could see him sticking around if they promise him V's Cup and CCL games + USL Pro, but he's likely to move on though, especially if Canadians count as domestics next year on American MLS teams. But that would probably be more because he's probably getting frustrated not getting any playing time, not because the caps don't rate him... it's just tough to break into the line-up when you've got Laba, Koffie and Teibert in front of you, all of which are also young. I would actually love to see him get dealt (expansion draft, TFC, MTL) if it resulted in him breaking into a line up somewhere.

Thoughts on Adekugbe? He's looked fantastic in the few minutes I've seen him play. IMO should get more minutes but is still behind Harvey at LB

Outstanding.  CMNT LB of the future - guaranteed.  Would have had more minutes if he wasn't hurt in the spring.  My guess is with CCL, CC and MLS he'll get 10 ish first team starts.

Not sure why Clarke would be gone. The guy had a very respectable strike rate in Germany. I could easily see him getting minutes off the bench if some of the Caps current striker options move on, which is likely... especially if he rips it up in USL-Pro. I don't see him going anywhere.

I also think anyone who says Alderson has a low ceiling hasn't seen him play much. I could see him sticking around if they promise him V's Cup and CCL games + USL Pro, but he's likely to move on though, especially if Canadians count as domestics next year on American MLS teams. But that would probably be more because he's probably getting frustrated not getting any playing time, not because the caps don't rate him... it's just tough to break into the line-up when you've got Laba, Koffie and Teibert in front of you, all of which are also young. I would actually love to see him get dealt (expansion draft, TFC, MTL) if it resulted in him breaking into a line up somewhere.

Doesn't Clarke and his dad have a bad relationship with the Whitecaps FO? Also based on some comments made by some South American players with Vancouver, it looks like Robbo will be looking for a striker in South America. If Clarke gets further down the depth chart, or completely discarded like Alderson, he could decide it isn't worth it to stay with Vancouver.

Doesn't Clarke and his dad have a bad relationship with the Whitecaps FO? Also based on some comments made by some South American players with Vancouver, it looks like Robbo will be looking for a striker in South America. If Clarke gets further down the depth chart, or completely discarded like Alderson, he could decide it isn't worth it to stay with Vancouver.

A lot of assumptions in that post.  

Archived