Whitecaps 2014 Season

tmcmurph

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cascadia Cup Champs 2 years in a row!! Taken from the flounders in their home with a hard fought and extremely well defended 1-0 victory. Kianz Froese played the entire second half at left mid and was very sharp. Back into 5th place and a point up on Portscum for the final playoff spot.  What a game. What a night. 

Not taking fans very seriously indeed.

The exaggerated shouting of Ousted after every ball that came into his direction is really starting to get annoying btw. You're a goalie! It's your job to stop these balls man, get over it!

Ousted has been fantastic, his shouting keeps guys accountable. Beitashour has been better since there tiff in the game a few weeks ago. He also has taken over the vocal role since DeMerit's departure, and rightly so Waston is great but not ready to or aware enough to direct everyone and O'Brien is too quiet too.

After a offseason of questions, this team has come around to win some big games. Was nice to see Froese get in for a big game and hold his own.

If it was about helping the team, he would be shouting BEFORE the shot. No-one plays better if someones yelling at you after the shot. And again, I could understand it happening after a big mistake, but after every single shot? Wish we could ask the guys in front of him what they think about it.

And I don't think he's been great, he's been average. I can remember several mistakes while I can't come up with a near-impossibe save that won points for his team.

Ousted is also the second highest paid keeper in the league, fwiw, and should be judged accordingly. I think he's been fine the past few months, occasionally splendid and occasionally fair, but never close to world or even MVP class. And I think I'm okay with that.

Will Kianz Froese get more playing time? Is Manneh's injury a long term thing?

Manneh is back in training this week so he should be fine. Fernandez is returning from suspension as well. Laba and Teibert are both only 1 yellow away from a suspension I think, but then you have Koffie who is coming back from injury.

In other words, there is no obvious opening.

If Portland loses to RSL on Friday and the Whitecaps can beat San Jose, you might see Froese and Adekugbe get a run out in what could be a meaningless final game against Colorado.

• 2 weeks later...

No I'm afraid not. This is the perfect way to end the season! We are in the playoffs but Sam played 60 minutes very well and Russell went 56 and they may get to play again on Wednesday night IN THE PLAYOFF/PLAYIN GAME. Bwa ha ha ha.

I love it when they get minutes in games that mean everything much more than meaningless games. 

Well my dream of all 3 Canadian teams making the playoffs will have to wait another year but at least one is in. Cheers and good luck to TFC & Montreal next season.

So much fun last night but man, what a nervous first hour or so. The intensity of Waston and Rosales made them look like they had been Caps for years.In terms of the year-end review I think Alderson must be a disappointed lad after his lack of a season.

Is Beita out for long? Harvey at RB worries me vs Dallas. Hard not to see most of this year as a success despite that dire midseason form and the general lack of production up front.

50 points will get you in the playoffs most years so I'm glad we made that milestone. We were close to it last year but ended with 48.

Still some problems to deal with on the team but we've got a good squad defensively now and that is what wins in soccer. 13 clean sheets, excellent DM and a fantastic mid season addition to our centre back group have been the difference. One thing I really love about Rosales is the way he bounces up when knocked over. He is up and back at it any time the ball is still near and wins it back quite a bit. If the ball is gone or the ref calls a foul he sits and catches his breath. True veteran smarts. He may only be good for 60-70 minutes a game but I'll take that any day. 

Waston has got 5 yellow cards and 2 goals in his first 10 games as a Cap. My kind of CB!! Big, goes for the ball with an authority that scares the other team's players, excellent on corners (he has as many goals from corners in 10 games as the Caps have had it 2 years!!). Wow. What a catch. 

Beitashour out for Wednesday so looks like Adekugbe should start! This kid is for real, I loved what he brought vs Colorado.

He got forward a few times quite effectively. After we went up 1-0 Robbo was telling him and Harvey to stay back more so less offence but some nice defending and intercepts/clearances. We might see Sampson at RB and Harvey back at LB. 

Cascadia Cup, CL qualification, and playoffs.  All that with 12 players 22yrs or younger getting playing time during the season & Cup - Unreal!  Couple changes to come in up front but the future is bright.

Watch this space.   

Archived