Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

He gives a really good interview in St Lucia (my assumption) which can be seen here.  

I really want this kid to represent Canada as soon as possible.  However, it is clear to me that his heart is in St Lucia and that his plans to represent Canada would be to advance his career.  There wouldn't be much difference between this and the JDG2 situation which I was so much against.   The degree to which I want him to represent Canada and the degree to which I was against JDG2 representing Holland leaves me feeling more than a little hypocritical.  He does indicate his national team choice right at the end.  The fact he doesn't dance around it and makes the reason very clear is admirable I must admit.

This is WAY different than JDG2.  This kid LIVES in Canada with his family and played youth soccer here, listen to the interview he speaks like a Canadian kid.  I think he could rightfully play for us or St. Lucia but being that he's lived here with his family since a young age (not just for football) Canada is the obvious choice.  This is more similar to Hanson Boakai or REB than JDG2.

Edited by Keegan

He does say that he moved to Canada with his uncle and left his mom and dad behind but moving to Canada was better for his education and football and allowed him to follow his dreams and provided more opportunities (presumably footballing opportunities).  Aside from having a relative to move with and mentioning his education I'm not sure how much different it is.  Another similarity is the familial connections to the national team of his birth country... in his case his father and in JDG2's case his brother.  When discussing his national team choice he mentions there are more opportunities for him to be seen on the international level playing for Canada... which was highly likely the same reason for JDG2's choice.  More similarities than differences in my view.  Now, if his mom and dad have subsequently immigrated as well then that is a different story... especially in the likelihood that such an immigration would significantly benefit them beyond their son's footballing opportunities.

There does seem to be a big difference between these two in approach and honesty to these choices though and there is a lot to be said for that.  Again, I really want him to represent Canada and if nothing else this interview may lead to me softening my view of JDG2 slightly.

Does Caniggia have a brother who captains St. Lucia with 80+ caps?  I think that is the most hilarious/pathetic part of the JDG2 "saga".  Caniggia is clearly a Canadian kid by listening to him and hearing his upbringing, JDG2 moved to Netherlands but was still very much a Canadian (a fact that he seemed to embrace in every way except for football) at 17/18 when Canada was calling for JDG2 he was only in the Netherlands for 5 years of his life and he had no real family there.  Ask any Dutch person and they would consider him a Canadian.  

If Caniggia was playing for Calgary foothills and flying back to St. Lucia each summer/holidays and "repping" St. Lucia while his brother was the star of their national team and he was clearly St. Lucian I would definitely compare him to JDG2.   Was Caniggia turning down calls to St. Lucia at 16?  I would like to know that.

Edited by Keegan

• 1 month later...

Elva could make his debut for VfB II on Tuesday in the 3. Liga against Würzburg. He was injured but now he is back and impressed VfB II head coach Jürgen Kramny.

http://www.fupa.net/berichte/vfb-ii-debuetiert-caniggia-elva-gegen-wuerzburg-340629.html

3. Liga should be a fun league to follow for Canadian content.

Ginola on VfB II

REB on VfR Aalen

Ledgerwood on Energie Cottbus

Hainault on Magdeburg

3. Liga should be a fun league to follow for Canadian content.

Ginola on VfB II

REB on VfR Aalen

Ledgerwood on Energie Cottbus

Hainault on Magdeburg

Yes it is. Unfortunately there are none left in the first and second division. Some of the 3. Liga games are livestreamed on www.sportschau.de

His other option being St Lucia, this looks like the one time you can take a chance. Never can be too sure I guess...

I didn't mean it as a defensive measure, more that he's playing at a decent level for a teen and would deserve a look.

• 1 month later...

The diver from the USA U-23 squad is in the same team.      J. Kiesewetter Substituted

Elva can't be eligible for Canada, because it's incomprehensible that he would be passed on for the Olympic team....

I think it's entirely reasonable that he was passed for the Olympic team, for two reasons.

First, he wasn't eligible for Canada until July (when he became a citizen), so he hadn't been anywhere near the national program up until that point, even if he was on the radar. No camps to date, no familiarity with the squad or coaches, or the system they want to play, at all. Second, at the time of selection he was just starting to get sub appearances after an injury to start the season. So not only would he have been unfamiliar with the squad itself but he would have not been in top form having been injured earlier in the year.

If the Olympic qualifiers were held in the spring, you would have reason to be concerned, but I think the concern is way too premature here.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/26/local-soccer-star-caniggia-ginola-elva-starstruck-after-earning-tryout-with-englands-arsenal-fc

Though his father, Titus ‘Titi’ Elva, was a St Lucian international, the younger Elva has already expressed a desire to play for Canada — once his long-awaited immigration papers are settled.

“He wants to play for Canada,” said Mifflin.

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva