Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

Where does it say he's Canadian then? The last info I read was that he failed to get a passport. 

He wouldn't be eligible to play for VfB Stuttgart II (U23) in 3. Liga without a Canadian passport.

Canada has a labour agreement with Germany, so Canadians are counted as non-foreigners.

That's it.

For exapmle:

Milos Degenek is eligible to play for VfB Stuttgart II because he has a Serbian AND an Australian passport. (labour agreement with Australia)

Rastko Suljagic has a Serbian and an Ukrainian passport but isn't eligible to play in the 3. Liga, so he was loaned out (both countries are not members of the European Union and both without labour agreement)

With a Saint Lucian passport Elva could play for the first team in the Bundesliga but not for the second team in the 3. Liga.

Edited by VfB

Does this mean that we count as domestics in the Bundesliga, but foreigners in MLS?

I believe so, as amazingly stupid as that sounds.

It was Grizzly who posted about the labour agreement originally so he could give us all more details about it.

• 1 month later...

so like... I am going to update in this thread until he gets his citizenship, which we know he is pursuing. At that point he belongs in canucks abroad. If somehow we find out that he can't obtain citizenship then I guess that's that.

Seems about right.  Added him to canucks abroad then.

Good stuff, now he can benefit from the competition in Germany, getting some minutes with VfB II.  Of note, he helped Strasbourg's reserves to promote to CFA2 although he was injured at the end of the season. Despite the lower level, those minutes he played during the loan spell will only help him in the 3.Liga.

• 2 weeks later...

He gives a really good interview in St Lucia (my assumption) which can be seen here.  

I really want this kid to represent Canada as soon as possible.  However, it is clear to me that his heart is in St Lucia and that his plans to represent Canada would be to advance his career.  There wouldn't be much difference between this and the JDG2 situation which I was so much against.   The degree to which I want him to represent Canada and the degree to which I was against JDG2 representing Holland leaves me feeling more than a little hypocritical.  He does indicate his national team choice right at the end.  The fact he doesn't dance around it and makes the reason very clear is admirable I must admit.

Edited by RamR

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva