Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

so like... I am going to update in this thread until he gets his citizenship, which we know he is pursuing. At that point he belongs in canucks abroad. If somehow we find out that he can't obtain citizenship then I guess that's that.

I agree.

Edited by Soccerpro

so like... I am going to update in this thread until he gets his citizenship, which we know he is pursuing. At that point he belongs in canucks abroad. If somehow we find out that he can't obtain citizenship then I guess that's that.

+1 to this. Appreciate the updates

• 2 months later...

His Stuttgart have survived relegation, so if he ends up playing next year he'd be a top flight player. Something that is very coveted by Canadians. Assuming he ever gets citizenship or gets his situation in Germany fixed.

Is he playing for them? No. I don't think that he would end up there anyways. I don't think that he would end up playing for them anyways next year. If he's playing for Stuutgart next year, it's for their second team.

I don't think that having a top flight player is coveted by me  I don't see the player as a top flight player now. If VfB had played him, you could say that he is one, but please. If a player is playing for FC Montréal, I won't say that he's a MLS player.

He went on loan to a French 3rd division club and ended up playing for their B team in the 6th division. The chances of him playing a meaningful game for Stuttgart in 1B next year have a decimal in front of the number.

And wouldn't you know, Kicker is reporting that Elva is recalled by Vfb Stuttgart for the coming season and is expected to play in the second team, who play in the 3. Liga.

Assuming he gets his Canadian passport. No passport, no play.

True, but it doesn't seem the club wants to waste a foreign spot on him.

I'm not sure the club could get a WP for him which is why they're waiting on his Canadian citizenship.  Foreign players only really matter when it comes to DFB Pokal matches where you can only have 3 on the pitch at one time, but their definition of "foreign" is non-Euro in that case even then.  

VfB Stuttgart confirmed that Elva will play for VfB II in the 3. Liga next season.

Zudem kehren Simon Kranitz und Caniggia Elva zum VfB II zurück, die in der vergangenen Saison an die SpVgg Unterhaching beziehungsweise Racing Straßburg ausgeliehen waren.

http://www.vfb.de/de/aktuell/meldungen/news/2015/abschied-vfb-ii/page/9803-1-3-.html

So I guess he got a Canadian passport.

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva