Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

• 2 weeks later...

Slow morning.  Was just trolling some Caribbean sites for local reaction to Caniggia's progress.  This quote struck me with an eerie deja vu:

"St Lucia is playing tonight and could do with this young chap’s presence in the squad. Pick up the phone and give his parents a call or better still call his agent and tell them you would like to see him play for his country– Yes his country St Lucia and not Canada where he is an immigrant.If you really care about him then perhaps you should be doing this.

This boy and his family does know the meaning of patriotism.. He will never become a Pele or Maradona. He ain’t nothing special. My best advice to him right now is to concentrate on his studies just in case he does not make it in football. At least he will have something to fall back on.Never put all your eggs in one basket."

Slow morning.  Was just trolling some Caribbean sites for local reaction to Caniggia's progress.  This quote struck me with an eerie deja vu:

"St Lucia is playing tonight and could do with this young chap’s presence in the squad. Pick up the phone and give his parents a call or better still call his agent and tell them you would like to see him play for his country– Yes his country St Lucia and not Canada where he is an immigrant.If you really care about him then perhaps you should be doing this.

This boy and his family does know the meaning of patriotism.. He will never become a Pele or Maradona. He ain’t nothing special. My best advice to him right now is to concentrate on his studies just in case he does not make it in football. At least he will have something to fall back on.Never put all your eggs in one basket."

I see they suffer from the same V trait of hoping a player is good, but not too good. lol

If i recall correctly, Grizzly explained that we have a labour movement agreement with the German government so since it encompasses everything our footballers benefit (so would our Hockey players i imagine). 

I had no idea...I've always wondered why we seem to have many more players in germany than in countries like france, who's language and league quality would seem to fit canadians....does this explain that?

I'd never heard of that agreement before, but it does make sense. I don't know about France but a lot of national competitions have barrieres for foreigners, which means non-EU-residents in most cases. 

Very happy he signed for a German powerhouse like Stuttgart. He'll prob get a chance to play at some level within the German tiers. 

• 5 months later...

This is the most recent mention I could find about him, from mid-November (here, http://www.fupa.net/berichte/talentschau-mit-hindernissen-230295.html ):

Caniggia Ginola Elva (18): Wie fußballverrückt müssen Eltern sein, wenn sie ihren Sohn nach den früheren Weltstars Claudio Caniggia und David Ginola benennen? Stürmer Caniggia Ginola Elva ist mit einem Profivertrag bis 2018 beim VfB gesegnet, aber nicht mit einer Spielberechtigung für die U 19 des VfB. Elva wechselte mit 13 Jahren zu Calgary United nach Kanada, eine kanadische Staatsbürgerschaft besitzt er aber nicht, sondern nur die von der Karibikinsel St. Lucia, wo er geboren wurde. Mit ihr dürfte er für die Profis spielen, doch das kommt zu früh. Für Einsätze in der U 19 muss er Kanadier werden. „Das klappt wohl nicht. Deshalb werden wir Elva wohl ausleihen, bis er reif ist für unseren Profikader“, sagt Adrion.

I tried to put it through Google translate, but it's a little tough.  Anyone?

Excited for this guy ... we seem to be "on the verge" with several players, but haven't been able to actually get many new faces into a camp.

Edited by Addona

Also, Mallan Roberts hasn't shown to be good enough to be on the national team, regardless of his passport situation. If he becomes the starting CB for FC Edmonton and consistently plays like he did in the latter half of 2014, then maybe we can have that discussion.

I feel like some folks would accept anyone with a pulse and a passport to the MNT.

Edited by shermanator

He played in 2 friendlies and scored 1 goal but no clue if that was first team or reserves. I think it was the first team since he has been training with them, I think. There is an article, probably in this thread somewhere that states all of this, but I may be confusing details so have a look and check it out!

Mallan Roberts has been in Canada since he was (I believe) 12 years old?  Can someone confirm that?  So yeah, it's not just about him being with Edmonton for 3 years.  He honestly identifies himself as Canadian as far as I can tell.  Met him briefly after an Eddies game once too  a couple years ago, I came on here and was touting him back then, he was REALLY a manchild at the time, reminded me of Henry...still does...raw, but man what physical ability...

• 3 weeks later...

Dug up an interview with Caniggia Elva on Youtube from earlier this week. To summarize some points:

- Trained with the first team 12 times, played 1 friendly and he's scored (came on in 69th minute, scored 3 minutes in)

- Elva is more comfortable as a striker, but as he gets more space on the outside, winger is an option

- Canada was the better option over St. Lucia for soccer as well as education. Elva learned everything for Europe in Calgary

- Stuttgart opportunity came from his coach in Calgary. Took Stuttgart because it was a sure deal

- Taking German lessons as he needs to

- Looks up to Daniel Dadavi the most

- Not sure how soon he will be with the first team. Needs to be patient as he's only 18

- More opportunities internationally to play with Canada over St. Lucia. They cut that answer off real quick ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeR1M2PbWfA'> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeR1M2PbWfA

The interview in St. Lucia in a hut with waves and birds is making me a little jealous, damn.

Dug up an interview with Caniggia Elva on Youtube from earlier this week. To summarize some points:

- Trained with the first team 12 times, played 1 friendly and he's scored (came on in 69th minute, scored 3 minutes in)

- Elva is more comfortable as a striker, but as he gets more space on the outside, winger is an option

- Canada was the better option over St. Lucia for soccer as well as education. Elva learned everything for Europe in Calgary

- Stuttgart opportunity came from his coach in Calgary. Took Stuttgart because it was a sure deal

- Taking German lessons as he needs to

- Looks up to Daniel Dadavi the most

- Not sure how soon he will be with the first team. Needs to be patient as he's only 18

- More opportunities internationally to play with Canada over St. Lucia. They cut that answer off real quick ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeR1M2PbWfA

The interview in St. Lucia in a hut with waves and birds is making me a little jealous, damn.

If he is close to gaining citizenship, I hope he at least gets a training camp invite with the U23s.

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva