Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

I think he is underrated in our Winger depth

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

If Inglostadt don’t get promoted this year, I would love to see Cannigia at a higher level. 

I reckon that he could easily compete in the 2 Bundesliga and he'd also be available on a free in the summer. I hope that a bigger club might sign him if Ingolstadt don't go up.

• 2 months later...

Great finish.

I really think this guy will be in the 2.Bundesliga next season. Ingolstadt have been close to promotion for several seasons, and right now they are tied for 1st on 41 points, though Dresden (T-1st) and Hansa Rostock (3rd) have a game in hand with superior goal difference. 

The top 2 promote directly and 3rd place is a play-off with the 2.Bundesliga. Right now Ingolstadt are 4 points up on 1860 Munich, who are in 4th place, so a small cushion for now, but there's plenty of season left. Let's hope Elva and his club can keep pushing.

By the way, it's his 3rd goal of the season, tying his goal tally from last season (and the season before). 

On 2/7/2021 at 7:12 AM, Shortdutchcanuck said:

The composure to tell his team mate to stay back for a second while he does his flip is almost as good

50 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Great finish.

I really think this guy will be in the 2.Bundesliga next season. Ingolstadt have been close to promotion for several seasons, and right now they are tied for 1st on 41 points, though Dresden (T-1st) and Hansa Rostock (3rd) have a game in hand with superior goal difference. 

The top 2 promote directly and 3rd place is a play-off with the 2.Bundesliga. Right now Ingolstadt are 4 points up on 1860 Munich, who are in 4th place, so a small cushion for now, but there's plenty of season left. Let's hope Elva and his club can keep pushing.

By the way, it's his 3rd goal of the season, tying his goal tally from last season (and the season before). 

I wonder if his future call up depends on him be promoting or playing in 3.Bundesliga.

I definitely want to see him at a camp at some point.

34 minutes ago, Shway said:

I wonder if his future call up depends on him be promoting or playing in 3.Bundesliga.

I definitely want to see him at a camp at some point.

If Herdman wants to call him I think he'll call him, regardless of the league he's playing in. 

That said, perhaps he'll be hard to ignore if he can show this form while playing in the 2.Bundesliga. The standard is high enough that it makes it pretty hard not to give him a call, at least to see what he can do. That's kind of the situation with Kennedy, who I believe is going to be called in to our next camp.

Elva plays in a position in which we are stacked, however, so part of me questions if putting up these numbers in the 2.Bundesliga would even be enough....

Hoilett, Larin, and David will all be playing at higher levels than 2.Bundesliga come next season, and we'll probably have to add Millar and/or Corbeanu to that list if either can find a loan to the Championship, which seems probable at this point (at least for Millar). Davies is always an option at wide forward, of course Players like Bair, Nelson, Schaffelburg and even Tabla (if he can pull it together) could be ahead of him as well, if they're putting up good performances in the 2021 MLS season. Akinele is probably going to be under consideration. Brym could be in the mix depending on how his club fortunes go. 

I could easily convince myself that he's going to need to be in the 2.Bundesliga at minimum in order to get a chance.

Perhaps Gold Cup will be his best shot for a chance. We know there's going to be rotation, and if our need to rotate forces us to dig down the depth chart, as expected, it may not matter whether his side promote or not. 

Edited by Obinna

12 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Crazy to think international football for us might pass him by. Just a year younger and he would likely be in the Olympic qualifiers. 

Still plenty of time on his side but he needs to make a breakthrough to a higher league. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see him file for a switch.

I would be a little surprised, if not disappointed. He and his club are on an upward trajectory. If he was playing with a typical 3.Liga club, I would agree, but Ingolstadt are unlucky to find themselves at that level. They were in the Bundesliga in recent memory (2015-17) and have played mostly in the 2.Bundesliga. In the last decade, if you ignore their promotion season and their relegation season, they finished between 9th and 14th.

Edited by Obinna

30 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would be a little surprised, if not disappointed. He and his club are on an upward trajectory. If he was playing with a typical 3.Liga club, I would agree, but Ingolstadt are unlucky to find themselves at that level. They were in the Bundesliga in recent memory (2015-17) and have played mostly in the 2.Bundesliga. In the last decade, if you ignore their promotion season and their relegation season, they finished between 9th and 14th.

should have been promoted to B2 last season but lost out by the smallest of margins. They were in the drivers seat, then lost to a team down in the standings and that was that. Fingers crossed. He is a talented player. Depth is always good. Hoilett appears to have lost his starting spot at Cardiff

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

should have been promoted to B2 last season but lost out by the smallest of margins. They were in the drivers seat, then lost to a team down in the standings and that was that. Fingers crossed. He is a talented player. Depth is always good. Hoilett appears to have lost his starting spot at Cardiff

Yeah, Hoilett was the one on that list that I think is most susceptible to getting challenged by a young up and comer.   No disrespect but he has been seeing more of the bench for a Championship team and is 30 so things won’t get easier in the coming years (not everyone is Atiba).  I think a young attacker could potentially challenge that spot sooner rather than later.  

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, Hoilett was the one on that list that I think is most susceptible to getting challenged by a young up and comer.   No disrespect but he has been seeing more of the bench for a Championship team and is 30 so things won’t get easier in the coming years (not everyone is Atiba).  I think a young attacker could potentially challenge that spot sooner rather than later.  

At the same time, we have seen Hoilett lose his spot under several managers at Cardiff, only to re-gain his spot under the new boss. It has happened multiple times now, and I would not bet against it happening again.

The question for me is whether his time at Cardiff is up. It has been 5 seasons and it feels like he may opt for a change in scenery. It probably depends on how the rest of the season goes. 

Junior is out of contract in the summer, but so too is the new manager, who only joined a few weeks ago.

Edited by Obinna

I get that we have options in those positions, but again I think we need to turn over every stone available. Especially with our loaded schedule for 2021 consisting of Olympic Qualifiers, World Cup Qualifiers in March/June, Gold Cup, and hopefully the Octo at the end of summer beginning of fall. 

We needed to deepen our depth pool while making all the teams as strong as they can be. I hope come March our coaches are very strategic in building these rosters so that they are setup to be as competitive as can be. Barring any travel restrictions, I stated before that I would rather see guys like Nelson, Buchanan, Bair, Tabla or Shaffelburg with the U24's and see Caniggia be called into the Senior squad. 

I'm not debating whether he would/should play over the likes of Hoilett, or discussing his competition. I just simply think he deserves a look before "we lose him".

Edited by Shway

15 hours ago, Obinna said:

If Herdman wants to call him I think he'll call him, regardless of the league he's playing in. 

That said, perhaps he'll be hard to ignore if he can show this form while playing in the 2.Bundesliga. The standard is high enough that it makes it pretty hard not to give him a call, at least to see what he can do. That's kind of the situation with Kennedy, who I believe is going to be called in to our next camp.

Elva plays in a position in which we are stacked, however, so part of me questions if putting up these numbers in the 2.Bundesliga would even be enough....

Hoilett, Larin, and David will all be playing at higher levels than 2.Bundesliga come next season, and we'll probably have to add Millar and/or Corbeanu to that list if either can find a loan to the Championship, which seems probable at this point (at least for Millar). Davies is always an option at wide forward, of course Players like Bair, Nelson, Schaffelburg and even Tabla (if he can pull it together) could be ahead of him as well, if ......

Obinna, there is no evidence that Championship is a higher level than B1. I'd argue the contrary, it is a lower average level. 

B1 has 18 teams, EPL 20. That means the group is more exclusive.

B2 also has 18 teams, Championship has 24. A quarter of the entire division would be in B3. The Championship is chock full of filler, the level is not as demanding when it comes to staying at that level. 

If Elva is playing in B2 next season, he'll be at least as high as Championship.

I don't think  anyone is lobbying for Hoilett to be replaced. He is our most experienced forward that has played at the highest level. Having said that, it's unlikely Jnr can continue to go the full 90 depending on who we play and recovery time. And yes he has produced under JH but then so has Cav.  It all depends on who is in best club form when we hopefully go into the next round of WCQ...post March. 

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I don't think  anyone is lobbying for Hoilett to be replaced. He is our most experienced forward that has played at the highest level. Having said that, it's unlikely Jnr can continue to go the full 90 depending on who we play and recovery time. And yes he has produced under JH but then so has Cav.  It all depends on who is in best club form when we hopefully go into the next round of WCQ...post March. 

Thanks.  That is basically what I was getting at. He is still a very effective player for us.  But at 30 he will be increasingly pushed by the young guys coming up - and will probably be under a lot more pressure than guys like Davies, Millar, Buchanan, etc as we start to see some of the more senior guys exiting their peak years.  

24 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Obinna, there is no evidence that Championship is a higher level than B1. I'd argue the contrary, it is a lower average level. 

B2 also has 18 teams, Championship has 24. A quarter of the entire division would be in B3. The Championship is chock full of filler, the level is not as demanding when it comes to staying at that level. 

If Elva is playing in B2 next season, he'll be at least as high as Championship.

You can’t just look at number of teams to determine league strength though. CPL has fewer teams than MLS but aren’t a better league (obviously an extreme example but just shows that it’s a bit ridiculous to say less teams means higher level). 

Championship has more money that 2.Bundesliga, and therefore can afford better players on average. And if you look at strength of league anywhere online (obviously not always completely accurate but still), Championship is always ranked significantly higher. 

The other site people often use to determine league strength is Transfermarkt. The highest Championship team value is Bournemouth at $138m, whereas in 2.Bundesliga it’s Düsseldorf with $39m. There are actually 16 teams with higher value than $39m in Championship.

Again, Transfermarkt values are estimates and not always accurate but I think it still gives you an overall picture of how good the teams in the league are and how many resources they have. 

33 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

championship is a higher level than the b2 but not by much. just look at the amount of money teams spend in the leagues. the championship is legit the 6th or 7th best league in the world. 

31 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

I'm a big fan of Hoillet, I don't change my mind because this or that coach has him in or out. He's the sort of player who has a work rate, can sit and help in the middle, but he can also break forwards when needed. The more effective we become up front, the less we need in attack from our mids, at least against similar rivals. 

I'm just saying that it is an error to think that 2nd or 3rd tier Bundesliga are lower than equivalents in Europe. I'd say, in fact, that B3 is the highest level 3rd tier in the world.

Okay, another thing: I've seen B2 live relatively recently, and there is no question there are defects on the pitch. Same as Championship. This is not the level of a top flight and the difference is important. But if we have to have 2nd tier players, let them be playing in the top four nations for club football in the world.

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva