Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

If Ingolstadt get promoted and Elva stays and plays in the 2. Bundesliga then I think he deserves a call-up. Otherwise no. Theres been a few Canadian who got promoted with their 3.Liga team but then were let go and ended up staying in that league. Especially for his position, I think we have better options out wide right now for the level he's playing at.

2 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Especially for his position, I think we have better options out wide right now for the level he's playing at.

For reference purposes name them, and the level that they are playing at.

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Because the position he plays and the position they play

You’re right, he’s in a tough spot to make it into the squad. However, from what I seen of him I would definitely say one of his skillsets is his work rate, and ability to be versatile. 
I think he could benefit from a position change, just like how Laryea has. He has all the attributes.

Edited by Shway

He is progressing. This season has been his most consistent, playing in 33 games. He is considered a player with lots of potential by FC Ingolstadt management. And played 90 in both of the most important games of the club's season. So I would not write him off quite yet. Under contract till end of next season. Not bad for a Calgary SWU kid.

I think we also need to keep in mind that we are judging the player, not necessarily the league.  There are always guys playing in a league below their level, as well as above.  In the end if he is playing well he deserves a call up to a camp where you can compare him to the other CMNT players.  He could be a nice addition, or he could be a bust, but better to judge him against our squad rather than solely on the league he plays in.  Too bad he is not a cb and on that note love to see Kennedy called in to camp as well to see what he can do.

People judge him on the league because of what he is doing vs the opposition he faces.  Not one of us are at the CMNT coaching sessions watching Millar race Davies, or see if Cornelius is better in the air than Vittoria in drills.  You (i mean herdman/Vanney/Henry et al) has a rough judgement on the quality of the league, and use that as a sliding scale for what the player does in the league.  IF they've put in the scouting work,  I would have no problem if they bring him to a camp, but currently we have some depth up front/wings and probably wont be doing a lot of experimentation.    

I don't think anything changes because Elva just fell short of promotion. Like Ed says, he seems to be a key player with a lot of potential. I think he will kick on from here and remain in the conversation of players who should be on Herdman's radar. I still believe this young man can and probably will find his way into the 2.Bundesliga and settle in at that level as he enters his prime. Maybe he even sneaks into the Bundesliga at some point. I sure like his trajectory despite and despite the "failure" it seems he took some big strides this season.

Edited by Obinna

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

If he is good enough to play at a higher level another club will come in for him. If he keeps improving and playing well he will get noticed. Likewise if he doesnt have enough he wont. Nothing to say had they been promoted he would have been kept on if he isnt good enough. No need to worry about the promotion. He is getting past the young prospect tagline but has a good number of years left. 

On 7/13/2020 at 3:42 AM, toontownman said:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

If he is good enough to play at a higher level another club will come in for him. If he keeps improving and playing well he will get noticed. Likewise if he doesnt have enough he wont. Nothing to say had they been promoted he would have been kept on if he isnt good enough. No need to worry about the promotion. He is getting past the young prospect tagline but has a good number of years left. 

Of course you're correct. But every player needs some kind of break and this could have been his. Showing that he can adapt to a higher level. He still played a big role for his team so it wouldn't be too out of the ordinary to draw some interest from 2. Bundesliga clubs, but another year with contenders wouldn't be too bad either. 

• 4 months later...

Watching him play today and he's got a goal so far today against Bayern II and has been Ingolstadt's best player in the first half. He got a hockey assist on the final goal as he made a beautiful bending pass to Eckert who couldn't finish it and he laid the ball off to Beister.

Edited by Nate3322

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva