Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Scorpion26 said:

Let's hope maybe he gets the chance after the winter break... If it is this season and if not a loan to Germany second division would be ideal as well.

Honestly his situation is reminding me a lot of Stanese's at Augsburg. Usually if a player is good enough for the 1st team they are 20 or under when they get called in, Elva is playing regularly with the second team but he's 21 now and will be turning 22 in 2018. Stanese was making appearances for Augsburg's second team then "graduated" and was released.

18 hours ago, Vince193 said:

Honestly his situation is reminding me a lot of Stanese's at Augsburg. Usually if a player is good enough for the 1st team they are 20 or under when they get called in, Elva is playing regularly with the second team but he's 21 now and will be turning 22 in 2018. Stanese was making appearances for Augsburg's second team then "graduated" and was released.

Let us hope that's not the case and he gets his chance after winter break. If he has to move on let us hope he goes to a team in higher level in Germany or other European league....

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/calgary-raised-forward-caniggia-ginola-elva-has-the-name-and-the-game

Elva, Zambrano notes, did not come to Canada Soccer’s attention through “regular channels.”

“When I got on board, I got phone calls about him,” Zambrano said. “So I was glad to see him in Qatar.

“Basically someone spotted him, saw enough about him, called people in the CSA to get him into a national team. It didn’t happen at the youth level.”

Nice story overall but how is it possible that it took someone to 'spot' him to get OZ's attention?  He's been known for years, was it not just a eligibility issue?   

I'm not shocked, it seems like CSA doesn't really have or any good  proper scouting department and coaches to  identify young talent. With today's players playing all over the world and they have multiple nations to choose  from you got to have a proper scouting system/ department or you're going to have players fall through the cracks or get picked up by other nations. We got lucky!

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/sports-pmn/calgary-raised-forward-caniggia-ginola-elva-has-the-name-and-the-game

Elva, Zambrano notes, did not come to Canada Soccer’s attention through “regular channels.”

“When I got on board, I got phone calls about him,” Zambrano said. “So I was glad to see him in Qatar.

“Basically someone spotted him, saw enough about him, called people in the CSA to get him into a national team. It didn’t happen at the youth level.”

Nice story overall but how is it possible that it took someone to 'spot' him to get OZ's attention?  He's been known for years, was it not just a eligibility issue?   

I think the article says that it took someone bringing him to the attention of the CSA. And I believe he's talking about a few years ago. I assume it took someone "spotting" him because the CSA didn't know he was eligible for Canada.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva