Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva

Tuscan

He is a '96 and no EU passport so he has to wait until his 18th bday to sign. Wouldnt be able to play for a Euro country for another 5 years in his case.

Hoilett's had no problem biding his time. Tie this guy up as soon as possible like they did with Aleman. Canada needs to continue handing out these cynical caps until the bleeding stops.

Wow, looks good, has dribble, pass, nice footwork, shoots both feet, is quick. Video at bottom of this article in Mundo Deportivo two days ago:

http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20140226/futbol/internacional/el-barca-se-intereso-por-caniggia-ginola-elva_54401763212.html

Says the team closest to signing him is Stuttgart, when he turns 18 next summer.

Hoilett's had no problem biding his time. Tie this guy up as soon as possible like they did with Aleman. Canada needs to continue handing out these cynical caps until the bleeding stops.

Bingo! If we have chance to cap tie someone, then we do it. No more "earning your spot" argument BS. We're not a big soccer nation where we can afford to lose some players. We simply don't have depth and talent keep losing our best prospects.

For those lazy to google search Calgary Sun article:

He already has an offer from a German club on the table, but it’s the German who sat beside him at the lunch on Wednesday that really left Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva in a state of awe.

“Mesut Ozil sat beside him at lunch — Caniggia told me he could barely eat his food,” said Ramon Mifflin, director of operations for Calgary’s South West United Soccer Club.

“He was completely star struck.”

You’d have to follow English soccer to understand Elva’s excitement — but what’s easy to grasp is that the 17-year-old from Calgary is currently in England, trying out for one of the world’s top soccer sides, Arsenal F.C..

Even landing a tryout with the Premiership’s second-place team, known to fans as the Gunners, is a stunning achievement for the youth, who moved to Calgary from the Caribbean island of Saint Lucia at the age of 12.

His team trumpeted the news over Twitter last week, stating: “OH MY - SWU Striker Caniggia Elva off to London, England for trial Monday with Arsenal FC. Thanks to all who helped him get there!”

Those watching the futball phenom’s development say Arsenal’s decision to fly Elva first-class to London on Monday shows they’ve seen a glimmer of what coaches here have long believed — that Elva is the most skilled soccer player Canada has ever produced.

“I think Caniggia at this moment, his skillset is better than Owen ********** at the same age,” said Mifflin.

That’s a huge statement, given **********’ vaunted position as the most successful Canadian soccer player ever, with a career that took him from Calgary to Bayern Munich and Manchester United, as well as a controversial decision to join England’s international squad.

But Mifflin says Elva is the better player, at this point.

“He’s better, but we don’t know what’s going to happen — ********** had the drive and determination to make it,” said Mifflin.

********** also chose to play for his father’s birthplace when the time came to choose an international side, and critics say the choice of England deprived Canadian kids of a valuable role model representing the maple leaf.

Mifflin says that won’t be repeated in Elva’s case.

Though his father, Titus ‘Titi’ Elva, was a St Lucian international, the younger Elva has already expressed a desire to play for Canada — once his long-awaited immigration papers are settled.

“He wants to play for Canada,” said Mifflin.

But first things first — and for now, Elva is focused on impressing a team full of stars like Mesut Ozil.

A video of the Calgarian showing off his skills hasn’t hurt — and it’s said that footage helped convince the Arsenal bosses to give Elva a shot.

“I am extremely grateful and humbled by this opportunity. I am a lifelong Thierry Henry fan, and it’s a dream come true to be at this great club!!” wrote Elva via an email from England.

He was also quick to praise his Calgary club for getting his a shot at the big leagues.

“If it wasn’t for my family, teammates from Southwest United 96-97’s, my coaches, and SWU the best club in Calgary, this opportunity would have never happened” he wrote.

The tryout for Arsenal follows a trial and offer to play professionally in Stuttgart, Germany — but there has also been interest from Barcelona, and Benfica, who want a look at the Calgary forward.

The news has made the sport press in Europe, where one outlet described him as an “energetic youngster, who has pace and an eye for goal and can play out wide or in a more advanced attacking role.”

In Calgary, Elva’s uncle — with whom the future pro lives — says the whole family is overwhelmed with nervous joy.

“I’m very proud of him,” said Oliver Elva.

Source: http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/02/26/local-soccer-star-caniggia-ginola-elva-starstruck-after-earning-tryout-with-englands-arsenal-fc

For what it's worth, the CSA is well aware of this kid.

usually means they rejected him at a youth camp or something and have lost his number

EDIT: is his coach THE Ramon Mifflin? Or at least his son?

further edit: Would appear to be so from that Twitter link!

Edited by xcalibre

usually means they rejected him at a youth camp or something and have lost his number

I think that Elva's situation is a bit more complicated than that. From what I've read, he doesn't have a Canadian passport and that is the major handicap for him playing for the national team.

Barça just bought Halilović who is the same age and already on the Croatia national team, so we are shooting higher.

As I see it Elva is a bit old to be properly developed by a big club, unless they really see he is a fast learner. Which is why he may be a good fit on a club that is not in the very top tier. Would he learn at Arsenal? For sure, but would not play competitively. In Germany or in Spain, where the 2nd teams play pro leagues, he'd improve faster.

Very painful to see SWU playing on that eyesore of a pointy football field, really a shame.

For what it's worth, the CSA is well aware of this kid.
Aware because they had to process the international amateur player transfer ?

Thats not aware thats just clerical knowledge, yes player is in our system, yes we processed a transfer.

Aware because they had to process the international amateur player transfer ?

Thats not aware thats just clerical knowledge, yes player is in our system, yes we processed a transfer.

the transfer he needed when he came from st. lucia as a kid??

Barça just bought Halilović who is the same age and already on the Croatia national team, so we are shooting higher.

As I see it Elva is a bit old to be properly developed by a big club, unless they really see he is a fast learner. Which is why he may be a good fit on a club that is not in the very top tier. Would he learn at Arsenal? For sure, but would not play competitively. In Germany or in Spain, where the 2nd teams play pro leagues, he'd improve faster.

Very painful to see SWU playing on that eyesore of a pointy football field, really a shame.

I play on that pitch with my men's team. It's too that one of the top young players in Canada is playing there.. we need some pitches.

I wonder what the German team is that has an offer for him on the table. That's what the sun article said right, that he already has an offer from Germany on the table? Or did I read that wrong?

Vfb Stuttgart, he was there on trial last month.

• jordan changed the title to Caniggia ‘Ginola’ Elva