Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Problem is Wheeldon seems to have drunk too much of the USL cool aid and talks about third division usl pro being their next step up

USL Pro (D3) is most certainly a, "step up" from PDL (D4).

... USL Pro appears to be trying to regain a two tier professional structure and gain Division 2 sanctioning as part of USL`s business plan.

Oh fucking hell! They aren't really serious about that are they?!?!?!

Be happy running D3&4!!!!!! 

Why does the USL keep coming back to stupid, impratical dreaming when they could have a good thing being the best at something less ambitious?

[New thread to discuss USL Pro seeking D2 sanction >> ]

Edited by ted
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Saw this Wheeldon interview, presumably from the PDL meetings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc3yikVaiMo

He sure must love his role with national team.  He's at PDL event and he's not wearing Foothills gear but a Canada jacket. 

Not much different from what we have heard before.  I still see little evidence that they want to reach out to people outside their club.  Even in the interview, it was all about extending their existing pyramid.

On that topic, are there any Calgary people lurking out there that have existing allegiances to another club than Foothills?  Can you see yourself supporting this club?

Jason 

I tweeted FC Edmonton asst coach Jeff Paulus the other day, and he mentioned that the relationship between the two clubs was quite good, and that FC Edmonton may even look at bringing in players from Calgary Foothills to the first team if they are good enough.

On a side note, there was talk of a supporters meeting to be held at the end of January. Anyone hear any more about that?

Calgary in Western Conference, Northwest Division, along with: Kitsap Pumas, Lane United F.C., Portland Timbers U -23's, Puget Sound Gunners F.C., Sounders F.C. U-23's, Victoria Highlanders F.C., and Washington Crossfire.

Haven't heard anything about a supporters meeting but if it was going to be the end of January, it would have to be this weekend??

Interesting that Seattle and Portland are keeping their PDL sides in spite of having USL teams but Vancouver is not.

I think part of it is that Seattle and Portland want to bring in NCAA players. To do that, you need PDL: if they play USL Pro they lose their eligibility. The Whitecaps have never cared about that (though, in my opinion, it might not be a bad idea if they did).

I think part of it is that Seattle and Portland want to bring in NCAA players. To do that, you need PDL: if they play USL Pro they lose their eligibility. The Whitecaps have never cared about that (though, in my opinion, it might not be a bad idea if they did).

Are there that many quality D1 NCAA players who live in metro Van during the summer?  I'm sure there are, just curious.

Also, Vancouver had pros playing with their PDL squad. So, they couldn't play NCAA guys with that team.

Right, because that was effectively their reserve team for a few years. Now they have an actual reserve team, and there's no reason the PDL team couldn't be full-time amateur.

Edited by Lord Bob
  • 2 weeks later...

The Voyageurs should start a kickstarter. Bet we could get to 75k

I believe Calgary Foothils announced one silver sponsor a few weeks ago, so we know there's at least $10k towards operating costs...

Should be interesting to see if they can get anyone to bite at that price.  I think $75K would cover a good portion of their operating costs for the year.  I'm not sure how that compares to other PDL clubs as a "main" sponsor.  

I'm interested in seeing what happens when the schedule is out. I remember Tommy commenting once they have a schedule to present, they will really start their marketing plans.  Then we shall see how they really present this club to the city.

Jason