Calgary back in PDL in 2015

Stuart

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Final score FC Edmonton 2 Calgary Foothills FC 2.  I'll post more thoughts later but it was a promising start.  Mostly people directly related to the club were there (parents and children wearing their Foothills gear).  It seemed like everyone knew everyone else except maybe for Stu, ClaytonA and myself.  Very much a family atmosphere.  No evidence of any supporters groups even in a beginning stage.  But it's a positive start overall.

Jason

I was really hoping to attend, but I have to be honest - with my kids in tow, I'm a little bit of a fair-weather fan. I help coach a Foothills U12 team and I'm trying to convince the coach to get the entire team to go and watch the Foothills vs Whitecaps game on June 8.

But provided our soccer schedule doesn't conflict with too many games, I'll be out cheering for the Foot sooner rather than later!

A few more notes about the game on Saturday.  I'd guess the crowd was about 500.  Encana Field has 500 seats, and  while not every seat was filled, a lot of people were standing or sitting outside of the seating area.  I'd guess 90% of the crowd was wearing Foothills gear and were already associated with the club.  As I mentioned, everyone seemed to know everyone else.  Credit to the club for getting their people out there.  Considering the weather I think they did great.

A few other comments.  No merchandise for sale - I suppose it was not terribly necessary as most everyone already had gear.  No concessions available either.  Props to the person sitting next to me for offering a coffee out of their Tim Horton's to go supply.  As far as pricing, I thought $15 to enter was maybe a bit high for a friendly that had no assigned seats.  I thought it was really steep for kids - $15 per kid seemed like a lot, but it clearly didn't deter as there were many there.  I bought a $50 season pass.  They did not take my name or info so they don't have any record of my purchase and how to follow up or put me on a mailing list.

I saw no evidence of any supporters culture at all.  It was very family friendly.  The loudest it got was when the kids sitting next to us (maybe 10 years old) started chanting, "He's tough, he's mean, he bleeds the Foothills green!"  during the second half.

I bought the season pass and will be back regularly (but not this weekend vs the Darts).  Anyone else have any comments or questions from those who weren't there?

Jason

Guest ClaytonA

The game last weekend was cancelled/rescheduled due to the 10-25cms of snow in the region.  As it snows outside the window - I miss the coast...

Here's a highlight video of photos from the first game;

We were discussing whether the numbers were sequential, but the season ticket card numbers we picked up were almost at 400.

If anyone's following the team, they seem to be using twitter and facebook as their main communication points (at least for those outside the club).

Facebook Foothills U23 https://www.facebook.com/pages/FC-Calgary-Foothills-U23/397129757093716

Twitter  @FoothillsFCU23 https://twitter.com/FoothillsFCU23

They also post on their main facebook and twitter accounts quite a bit of other club related info (probably the ones you'll find if you google foothill fc)

Next game is May 10th 5:00 PM @stampeder field VS University of Calgary. Tickets at the gate. — at Shouldice Athletic Park.

Guest ClaytonA

There's also a youtube video of club history (this PDL team is an extension for one of the larger local youth clubs - bottom up versus top down);

Guest ClaytonA

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/Simon+Thomas+tends+Calgary+Foothills+soccer+squad+Calgary+Alberta/9812557/story.html

Simon Thomas tends the net for Calgary Foothills U23 squad

Goalkeeper to also coach youngsters before departing for Europe in July

By Jeff MacKinnon, For the Calgary Herald

Along with playing, Thomas will work two days a week at Foothills Soccer Academy mentoring U12-U18 goalkeepers under technical director Tommy Wheeldon, who also coaches the U23 team.

Assistant coach Brendan O’Connell, a former professional in England, had a big role in getting Thomas to Calgary through his contacts.

“The premise of this team is to use it as a development platform to present opportunities to players,” Wheeldon said. “It’ll be an easy sell because he’s got a great pedigree, being an international already. He’s 6-foot-3 and a hard worker and he’s got a great attitude. Plus, he’s relatively young in terms of goalkeeping age.”

The PDL has 56 teams in 2014 spread over North America, with eight being Canadian based. While the circuit is for players 17 to 23, each franchise is allowed up to eight overagers on a 26-man roster. Foothills U23 is following that guideline this season.

The U23 squad is also looking ahead to June 8 when they will host the Whitecaps at Encana Field at Shouldice Park. The visitors are expected to have current MLS players in uniform along with members of the MLS reserves and U23 team.

Having seen my first game at Mount Royal University on Wednesday, (A  2 - 0 victory for Foothills U-23s) I'd have to say MRU stadium field would be a perfect spot for the PDL side to play all their matches next season. Real grass, Flood lights, and a good location. Plus there is tons of room all around the pitch for extra seating.

Having seen my first game at Mount Royal University on Wednesday, (A  2 - 0 victory for Foothills U-23s) I'd have to say MRU stadium field would be a perfect spot for the PDL side to play all their matches next season. Real grass, Flood lights, and a good location. Plus there is tons of room all around the pitch for extra seating.

I have thought that the MRU field would be a good option.  The pitch isn't particularly well taken care of, but that could be fixed.  You'd need to build some amenties even temporary ones, but there is room to do this.  And as long as class isn't in session, there should be parking on campus.

Jason

Good to see you guys joining the PDL. So I gather they are playing a year of friendlies before they start PDL play next year?

What division will you be joining?

Interesting to see you signed Simon Thomas. Really liked his play, was hoping he would get another MLS contract.

Good to see you guys joining the PDL. So I gather they are playing a year of friendlies before they start PDL play next year?

What division will you be joining?

Interesting to see you signed Simon Thomas. Really liked his play, was hoping he would get another MLS contract.

I'm thinking we'll be playing in the Northwest Division along with Vancouver and Victoria (but don't quote me) I'm also hoping we'll be playing in PDL + which means a longer season.

Simon Thomas has looked really good in the two exhibition matches I've seen him play. We're lucky to have him.

Have you guys figured out a supporters group twitter account or Facebook? You have a great division, Red Aces and Lake Side Bouys are both awesome groups.

Yeah, we still haven't decided if we're going for "FOOTSOLDIERS" or " THE HILL TRIBE" for the name of the supporters group, when we do I'll definitely start a Twitter account for it.

Hi Max, welcome on board!!

I'm hoping there'll be a food truck at the game vs. the Whitecaps and we can meet up there about an hour before kick - off and get to know each other better. Hope to see everyone there.

Clayton, Jason, are you guys coming?

I'm thinking we'll be playing in the Northwest Division along with Vancouver and Victoria (but don't quote me) I'm also hoping we'll be playing in PDL + which means a longer season.

Simon Thomas has looked really good in the two exhibition matches I've seen him play. We're lucky to have him.

That would make for an epic road trip next year! :)

I'm really not liking the PDL+ idea right now, half our players are college kids.

Guest ClaytonA

Stuart, yes'll I'll be there.

Tommy Wheeldon's getting on CTV and on Fan 960 marketing the Whitecaps game in 1-1/2 weeks.

Interesting radio show on Fan 960 via World Cup preview; spends half the show talking about Foothills, http://feeds.feedburner.com/fan960/big-show

The Big Show -1pm   Posted: Wed, 28 May 2014 14:13:51 +0200

Looking at land by Heatherglen Golf Course, see's NASL as a "legacy league" (he sounds really dismissive to me - is the best way to the ephemeral MLS franchise really by having a minor league, AAA baseball, players in-and-out, don't really want to be here, call ups to parent club before big matches, etc really the best route?)

Starting PDL, wants 3-4000 fans for PDL/USL Pro?, a facility, benefactor model, etc.  Usual stuff

Archived