Canada playing Spain in June?

Where is Dave Rowaan getting the Canadian link from?

http://www.marca.com/2014/01/28/futbol/seleccion/1390922692.html

If this is true though, Spain will fly to Washington on Monday June 2nd, any friendly would be between Tuesday June 3rd and Saturday June 7th. (They fly to Brazil the 8th).

This is for our two dedicated "supporters" above.

In an inspiring performance Canada drew 1:1 with Brazil - the soon-to-be-crowned world champions from the 1994 FIFA World Cup USA. Played in front of 51,936 fans at Commonwealth Stadium in the month leading up to USA 1994, Canada's Eddy Berdusco scored a second-half goal to equalise with Brazil on 5 June 1994.

I could watch this a million times, it's not often you can hear the crowd actually swell before something is about to happen. Check out the crowd in the background just as he scores, pure joy. Love the Graham Leggatt quote "Brazil caught dreaming!"

I could have gone to that game when I was a kid but I skipped it because my brother and I were having too much fun playing with fire. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for that.

If this Spain friendly comes off and I can possibly manage it, I shall not repeat that mistake.

I could have gone to that game when I was a kid but I skipped it because my brother and I were having too much fun playing with fire. I don't think I'll ever forgive myself for that.

If this Spain friendly comes off and I can possibly manage it, I shall not repeat that mistake.

Nothing wrong with playing with fire. We used to play with train torpedoes and make our own gunpowder and guns (aluminum tube cannons with ball bearings). Ahh the good old days.

I'd head down if this were to happen. Cheap flight from Buffalo to DC would be well worth it.

Agreed! I really hope this happens. Between the Voyageurs, TFC Supporters (they'll be hungry for some live footy since TFC only plays a few games in June, one home game too boot) and ex-pats living in the DC area we could have a decent support section for a friendly away.

I am completely on-board with Floro's philosophy behind our highly ranked opponents in recent (A team) friendlies..not going to learn/understand the importance of discipline football when you are playing a squad that cant finish on your mistakes.

Apart from being a logical opponent due to location, and the States or Mexico not being possibilities, it is true that Floro and Del Bosque are very close, as is Floro to the Spanish Federation.

The only doubt Spain could have is if Canada would be a sufficiently demanding opponent, though of course Spain is not looking at playing a match to risk injury either.

We were way more competitive back when we played Spain in Santander, I remember Radz burning a young Sergio Ramos down the wing, Spain did not control the play as totally as they do now. Kenny was very good in goal. Great Grande goal kept things close at the end. I feel we have dropped a lot, and of course Spain has taken a huge step up.

the south korean team wiki page says we're playing them on june 3rd at the Big O. Any truth to this? I can't find it anywhere else. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea_national_football_team

If Spain falls through, Canada would be a good opponent for the ROK -- they are probably looking to get acclimatized to the time zone more than anything. But that stadium would be a very strange venue, given the cost of booking the Big Owe is said to be excessively high, and South Korea doesn't normally have legions of travelling support. Recent friendlies they have played in London and LA have drawn sub-20000 crowds -- not embarrassingly small, but not the sort of thing that would require a 55,000+ seat venue.

And given that June 4th is the second leg of the Voyaguer's Cup Final, and since Montreal is the top seed, the Impact will expect to be playing at home the next day (unless they get knocked out in the early round by Ottawa or Edmonton). But the teams involved in the Cup Final won't be actually known until May 14th. And if Montreal don't make the final, than the winner of Toronto-Vancouver would be top seed and would be playing at home that day. So all three MLS stadiums can't really commit to a CMNT booking for that week.

So I guess the Big Owe, the day before the cup final, is possible. It just seems like a really weird idea for Canada's triumphant return to Montreal to be a money-losing friendly on a plastic pitch in an empty Big Owe.

Archived