2015 Pan Am Games

masster

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know what players is Herdman calling for the PanAm games. Any new goal scorers? First game will be with Ecuador who as we know is made up of amateur local players, but they do play a technical passing soccer.

The first game is against Brazil, I believe the women are playing Ecuador in their first match but not entirely sure.

I'm afraid Brazil is going to be hard, really hard. That Piazon guy was the best player when he played at Vitesse (Bony had already left). I don't know the others but just check their bios, most of them have had playing time at big clubs in Brazil. Strikers have scoring rates. They are way ahead of the Canadian boys. Too bad it's the first game. 

If there's anything that you want the captain of a Canadian men's soccer side to say, it is exactly what Chris Mannella said on Tuesday.

"We're here to change history, and we know it," said the 21-year-old from Mississauga and Toronto FC 2, who was chosen by head coach Antonio Floro as the skipper for the Pan Am Games.

http://m.thespec.com/sports-story/5712718-it-s-time-to-change-history/

A couple of us are going to the Touchdown Pub.  Same spot we all went prior to the womens game vs England.    They have your basic bar food.   Just to remind everyone, it isn't the nicest place around but it has cold beer and very close to the stadium.  Anyone want to join myself and Gator you are more than welcome.

I am really excited about this. Is there anything going on pre match in Hamilton? Any suggestions for pre match eats?

I was just going to post about this! A bunch of us Hamilton area V's will be meeting at The Touchdown Pub on Barton Street before the Brazil match, we had our pre game there before the Canada-England women's friendly and it worked out quite well! There is a fair number of parking spaces there which patrons can use during the match if you are driving in from out of town, if coming from Toronto it is much better to cross the Skyway and take Burlington Street to Gage btw! Please let me know if any of you are thinking of joining us so we can give a heads up to the pub for staffing! I hope to see you all there!

I am really excited about this. Is there anything going on pre match in Hamilton? Any suggestions for pre match eats?

If you are looking for basic drinking and getting in and getting out, take the QEW down to Burlington St and head to the Touchdown Pub. It's not the nicest place, but it's decent and close to the stadium if you just want beer and it has parking.

If you want to spend some time in the city and want to take the scenic route, take the 403 and get off at York Blvd, drive past the First Ontario Centre and the farmers market. Then drive down York till you hit James St North. There are several good restaurants, Cafes and Art shops at various parts of James St. When done, take Main St. (stay around 50kph and enjoy the light sync) and follow the Pan Am signs.

I think most people are going with the former plan.

So I'm 50/50 on this one since the ticketing thing is so meh but here goes.

Once one has a ticket and is heading down from Toronto they can jump on the GO train to Aldershot for free if they have their ticket (correct me if I'm wrong) then hop on the shuttle to Hamilton GO Centre. From there, if one wanted to catch the TFC game at 3pm one could walk 2 blocks S to the Undermount bar and grill and have plenty of time to walk to the stadium (10-15mins??) well in time for the 8:30 start to the Canada Brazil game.

If one didn't care to sit in ones seats I hope there will be some V's congregating in one of the patios(???)

These open patios will definitely be a deciding factor to my attending. I don't care to sit and watch the game amongst the random throng...

Once one has a ticket and is heading down from Toronto they can jump on the GO train to Aldershot for free if they have their ticket (correct me if I'm wrong) then hop on the shuttle to Hamilton GO Centre. From there, if one wanted to catch the TFC game at 3pm one could walk 2 blocks S to the Undermount bar and grill and have plenty of time to walk to the stadium (10-15mins??) well in time for the 8:30 start to the Canada Brazil game.

If one didn't care to sit in ones seats I hope there will be some V's congregating in one of the patios(???)

These open patios will definitely be a deciding factor to my attending. I don't care to sit and watch the game amongst the random throng...

You can also take the train from union to the new west harbor station at James and Barton (ish) and avoid taking the shuttle from Aldershot to Hamilton GO Centre.

Ps. walking to the stadium from James St would take longer than 10 to 15 minutes. Best bet is to catch the King or Cannon bus or Pan am Shuttle from the West Harbour GO station, all free with your match ticket.

You do not want to walk to the stadium from downtown Hamilton. Google Maps pegs 42 minute walk from the West Harbour GO Station and 44 minutes from the Hunter St GO station. To give some context, it would be like walking to BMO from Union Station.

You will want to take a city Bus or shuttle to the stadium and I believe the ride is free in both cases with your Pan Am ticket.

If you want to hit a pub in Augusta Area it would probably be easier to take the bus from Aldershot GO to the area then grab the Barton bus from the Hamilton GO Center right to the stadium, for those coming in by GO and heading straight to the match or The Touchdown Pub it would be best to take the train right to the new West Harbour GO station then a shuttle right to the stadium as king1010 says! I hope to see some of you at Touchdown Pub for pre game festivities!

Where is the place to watch the TFC match before Canada? Glad that go transit is free from union. Will there be trains back to Toronto after the match?

There will be.

Trains depart West Harbour Go Station back to Union at:

9:32 PM

12:02 AM

12:32 AM

Theres also bus service from Hamilton GO Centre to union at around 11 and 11:30.pm.

http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/schedules/schedules_window.aspx?tableid=01&dir=E&date=2015-07-11&parentid=1

As for a spot to watch the TFC game. I know a bunch of Hamilton V's meeting up at the Touchdown Pub on Barton a couple hundred metres from the stadium. Kind of a hole in the wall but it has beer food and tvs. If you want something more upscale then somewhere on Augusta street downtown is probably better.

There will be.

Trains depart West Harbour Go Station back to Union at:

9:32 PM

12:02 AM

12:32 AM

Theres also bus service from Hamilton GO Centre to union at around 11 and 11:30.pm.

http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/schedules/schedules_window.aspx?tableid=01&dir=E&date=2015-07-11&parentid=1

That's the Saturday schedule for the women's match (kick-off at 9 pm).  The men's match on Sunday (and the mid-week matches) are 30 minutes earlier.  And so are all the GO departures.

http://www.gotransit.com/timetables/en/schedules/schedules_window.aspx?tableid=01&dir=E&date=2015-07-12&parentid=1

Archived