2015 Pan Am Games

masster

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if it wasn't a direct pass, he opened up space, took pressure, and got forward. I saw a markedly better team after Aleman came on.

he looked slow, defensively disinterested and turned the ball over repeatedly in poor areas, but hey whatever, see what you want.

Yayyaya best if a guy with the chip on his shoulder doesnt show up. Team before players. Shape before skill. Coach's tactics for the win

Thats really worked out for us.

No occean bad attitude. No osorio he showed up the coach. No aleman he didnt earn respect by riding the pine behind usl subs

The only way Canada gets anywhere at this point is as a team and even the best teams in the world suffer from having problematic players included so it would be a huge issue for Canada who rely more than most on the "team" play.  I am in no way saying that any of those you mentioned are problematic but if they did become problematic then it would be, in my opinion, a detriment to the success of the team to include them.

he looked slow, defensively disinterested and turned the ball over repeatedly in poor areas, but hey whatever, see what you want.

I didnt see that. I saw a ton of scoring oppurtunities once he got on. Actually played with attacking intent and creativity. Defence isnt his strong point, and down 2-0 with 15 mins left it didnt have to be.

The only way Canada gets anywhere at this point is as a team and even the best teams in the world suffer from having problematic players included so it would be a huge issue for Canada who rely more than most on the "team" play. I am in no way saying that any of those you mentioned are problematic but if they did become problematic then it would be, in my opinion, a detriment to the success of the team to include them.

I agree with that

Yeah this summer has been an eye opener in regards to Canadian soccer. The women are better than the men but even their program is not rosie

Only if you have been watching Canadian football for a very short period. This has been case since the 90s. Lots of young players touted as quality but as they get older and face stiffer competition, they become just journeyman players or leave the game altogether. Their lack of development skillwise and intelligencewise in their pre-teen and teenage years dooms them to be also rans.

Now, some of it was lack of a Canadian league where they might have blossomed. Though, probably only good enough to be a depth player for the CMNT.

Cdn women are better mostly because less than 15 countries take the sport seriously vs 100+ for the men.

With being able to watch so many Canadian national team matches this summer, we are seeing the sausage being made and it isn't pretty to watch and also to eat. Most of the time on this forum, we're talking about potential since most of us don't see these players regularly which allows to dream and never face reality.

I think for one we cut Floro. Seriously how does making our team better defensively give us an advantage in CONCAFA, in the foreseeable future. Hate to break it to you, but CONCACAF is an offensive-minded, flair driven region. We should be practicing offensive skills over defensjve skills to get anywhere here. Secondly, I think the Caps should take the lead and have a team of academy players represent the national team on the domestic level, similar to what Bolivia did with the Tahuichi academy in thr early 80's. I haven't seen much gems in the TFC and IMFC academy for now. Thirdly, i honestly don't see us making it past the next round of WCQ. To save the disappointment, there should be a roundtable discussion of all provincial association and the CSA and clubs on a Project 2026 that Canada should qualify to the World Cup. Without a goal or benchmark, we aren't going anywhere again.

Floro has nothing to do with developing players though, it's his job to coach what he is given which is a lot of guys without much in the way of offensive flair. You want an academy program that can't even meet the CSA requirements most weeks for the USL to take charge of the national program when TFC has actually had a role in the development of a guy sold to West Ham for 1.5 million.

I'd be shocked if we fell in a two legged playoff although Curacao is a concern. 4th round is always a bit tricky.

Floro has nothing to do with developing players though, it's his job to coach what he is given which is a lot of guys without much in the way of offensive flair. You want an academy program that can't even meet the CSA requirements most weeks for the USL to take charge of the national program when TFC has actually had a role in the development of a guy sold to West Ham for 1.5 million.

I'd be shocked if we fell in a two legged playoff although Curacao is a concern. 4th round is always a bit tricky.

I agree i wouldnt want to see us hand over jr team reigns to van city. I think we'll win 3rd rd wcq but dont think we'll advance past 4th round.

You're right floro can only play the talent we have and cant develop it. Problem is there has been numerous instances of him not playing some of our precious few players with creativity and attacking flair. Both pan ams and gold cup. So its just compounding the problem that we dont develop enough quality creative players and we dont play the few we have. Instead focusing on defence and structure and holding mids. Regardless of how great our structure is, i dont see us going down to el salvador mexico panama honduras jamaica and keeping a clean sheet.

The problem might be that one or two more creative players who are ok but not great (and/or there aren't enough of them) will disrupt the organization to the team's detriment. It can be boring as hell but I'd much rather be in a nil-nil stalemate with the knowledge that our chances are going to come (presuming someone learns how to finish a few of those chances) than an exciting wide open match that we simply don't have the horses to regularly come out on top of... YET!

well in 6 games under the floro's Canada scored an amazing total of 1 goal.... maybe starting some attacking minded midfielders can actually help a little, but the floro's went into the competitions only just not to lose games. Didn't seem they cared about winning.

err did we see the same game? he helped open a lot of space and build the majority of the attacks when he came on, even put in that perfect cross for farmer who headed to the crossbar.

Some post match reaction.

@mitchelltierney: Antonio Floro said he didn't really have enough time with #CanM23. Says they will have a camp in September before Olympic Qualifiers.

Will that camp be during a fifa window? If so the only window in september is when we play 3rd round wcq.

So either A) top u23 players will be with the full mens team. Or B )camp wont be during fifa window and clubs wont have to release players

The problem might be that one or two more creative players who are ok but not great (and/or there aren't enough of them) will disrupt the organization to the team's detriment. It can be boring as hell but I'd much rather be in a nil-nil stalemate with the knowledge that our chances are going to come (presuming someone learns how to finish a few of those chances) than an exciting wide open match that we simply don't have the horses to regularly come out on top of... YET!

I dont think the teams have looked all that organized to be honest. There have been plenty of break downs.

I think adding creative players would do more to disrupt the other teams organization as opposed to ours. When aleman came on we put the pressure on peru. They were on the backfoot instead of us constantly soaking up pressure.

0-0 draws arent going to happen in away leg concacaf wcq. And 0-0 draws at home wont get us through to the next round.

It's not a B team. It's like half the A team. People like to go on about Carriero, but he's been loaned out playing 3rd division soccer in Scotland. Gasparatto is still confined to youth games for his 2nd div Scottish side. In the u20 tourney, I didn't see a reason to be impressed by him.

If I hear one more fan say they're impressed by aJeremy Gagnon-Lapiere or some other dime a dozen unremarkable back passing defensive midfielder, I will lose it.

there was a play around the mid point of the second half that kind of spoke volumes about this team and state of our mens teams over the past several years.  Canada is in possession and the ball is play laterally to a left back or left sided defender.  Player receives the ball is completely un marked with the closest opponent maybe 20 metres in front of him.  he receives the ball, hesitates for a second, and likely notices that his teammates are standing around watching him instead of making themselves available or making a run into open space to receive the ball.  Its as if nobody wanted the ball.  So what does the defender do instead of holding the ball and moving forward or exploiting the space and waiting for someone to get open,   he passes it back maybe 20 meters to his keeper who hoofs to a peruvian who receives it unchallenges and easily regaing control of the ball for his team.  in short,  we turned the ball over needlessly and without being challenged.  

what this all tells me is 1). a lack of ideas 2). a lack of imagination 3) the play off of the ball was lacking in that play and likely all the games i saw.  4). Poor coaching.  unable to create a structure or vision in how we want to play and what players should do 5). lack of confidence in possessing the ball 6). lack of accountability or overtendancy to wait for somebody else to do something. 7) we waste possesions.

err did we see the same game? he helped open a lot of space and build the majority of the attacks when he came on, even put in that perfect cross for farmer who headed to the crossbar.

he passed forwards I'll give him that, he did it well too but he didn't impress on the ball and turned it over far too often, especially in the defensive half or trying too much in the box. Watching him move and play in the 20 minutes he had, I fully understand why he didn't start and while that may annoy a lot of you, it's not like the goal scoring chances weren't there without him.

Missed the game, but not surprised with the result.

In defense of our players, every team that we faced had a ton more experience playing at a high level. Peru and Panama both have players in their squad that have 100+ appearances for their club sides while our players are halfway into their first season in USL. We're just way behind with player development.

Missed the game, but not surprised with the result.

In defense of our players, every team that we faced had a ton more experience playing at a high level. Peru and Panama both have players in their squad that have 100+ appearances for their club sides while our players are halfway into their first season in USL. We're just way behind with player development.

I was just about to make this point. We've had half a season of USL for a majority of these players, it's going to be a couple of years before we see the real benefit from dozens of these guys getting playing time at a real level. How good might Babouli be if this was his third or fourth year on a real team instead of his first?

Even though this tournament was a disappointment, as was the U-20 WCQ, those two groups looked better than that awful U-20 team that hosted the WC. There were some cohesive attacks, the team could keep possession and we even saw more than a few individual flair moves. However, there do need to be some changes at this age level across the country:

1) TFC and FC Montreal need to follow the lead of VWFC2 and put a more competitive team on the field with some veterans. USL needs to be a winnowing step where the best prospects are fighting for time and playing competitive soccer where they are able to maintain possession and play sustained attacking soccer. It is night and day watching Vancouver play vs.TFC2.

2) The USL sanctioning ban needs to be dropped tomorrow. Enough fucking around with L10 and PLSQ as Division 3 leagues. They are nowhere close and there's no forseeable point where they will be able to maintain the level that is present in the USL. We could have conceivably had three independent USL teams already in Victoria, London and Calgary if the CSA didn't have a bug up its ass about being in charge. We literally could have had eighteen more Canadian starters this year if it weren't for the sanctioning ban. I can't think of any decision that's more actively hurt Canadian men's soccer in living memory than this.

Archived