2015 Pan Am Games

masster

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Hanson Boakai was MOTM. He always looked to go forward and always troubled the opposition with his runs and combination play.

There were lots of times we had open midfielders showing for the ball and our defenders just booted up to no one instead.

If I were a youth soccer coach, I'd run sessions where no back passes were allowed, just to force the players to think going forward..

Lol, youth soccer when I was a kid had no back passes and players just hoofed it for ward. Maybe for u20 soccer that might be a good idea but not for kids.

Lol, youth soccer when I was a kid had no back passes and players just hoofed it for ward. Maybe for u20 soccer that might be a good idea but not for kids.

Let me correct that, no back passes, only forward passes allowed, have to be on the ground.

I thought Hanson Boakai was MOTM. He always looked to go forward and always troubled the opposition with his runs and combination play.

There were lots of times we had open midfielders showing for the ball and our defenders just booted up to no one instead.

Lost possession too much early but played good later, third in my book behind Babouli and James for me.

I'll take this performance over the bunkering against Jamaica. Despite going up against one of the elite soccer nations, every time we had the ball we looked to attack & looked dangerous on the counter. The  big problem was not being able to get the ball off Brazil. We had few chances but each one was very dangerous & we were unlucky not to get 3 goals of our own, plus that was a 100% penalty we were not given in the 2nd half. If only Ted "everything's a penalty" Uncle had reffed this game. Main thing that frustrated me was a seeming coaching tactic to pass the ball backwards into our own half on every single free kick we got. Why???

A few thoughts on specific players:

Boakai - the asshole Brazilians kept cynically fouling hm all night long, I can't believe how long it took the Ref to pull out a yellow. He needs to start in the middle of the park next time so he has the whole field to play with. We can't have a player with his skill & vision limited to one side of the field. Not a coincidence that the goal post chance & the goal came from him moving into the middle of the park. If he doesn't play in the middle then at least play Aleman or Aparicio there.

Manrekar James - a good lesson in not giving up on a young player. After the U20 tourney a few years ago I said that I hoped he could improve as most people wanted him shot for his performance when he replaced an injured Henry. But he was formidable at the back and looks like he can be in the senior team mix going forward if he continues to get pro minutes in Hungary

Babouli - call him up to the TFC senior team please. The kid can finish and can probably play right back that Warren Crevealle (which is not saying much). Thank you for reminding what it is like to see Canada score in something other than a U17 or U20 tourney (first goal in 4 years in that regard).

Mannella - liked his performance a lot. Good d-mid, positioned well, calm composure on the ball & I liked the he didn't take any shit from those dirty Brazilians

Adam Bouchard - I hope he can develop the way James did (see entry above) because that was not encouraging. Tough competition I know but that was not encouraging at all. If we can't get Doneil for the Olympic qualifiers this looks to be a weak spot for the U23 roster (granted, there is also Gasparotto or Stanese)

Alex Comsia - played ok but that the hell was with the spastic motions every time somebody took him on? It was like he was trying to scare the Brazilians into calling their mommy's

Crepeau - I wish that Nigel Reed would stop calling him "Crappo". I had to mute the sound for long stretches as I just can't take Reed's commentary any more, annoying as well. Along with Gagnon-Lapare, one of the better Impact players on the night.

Beland-Goyette - Not sure why he is in the middle ahead of any of Boakai, Aparicio or Aleman. He looked slow for pace

PK and red card not given

That's the problem with football  Clear PK and red card by the law of the game but because our guy didn't go down and was honest there is no call.  If that happened at midfield it is given 10/10 times.  That ENCOURAGES flopping and the things that ruin this sport.  

Not a bad performance for essentially a B U23 side.  That Brazil team was excellent and must be favourites to win this thing, some of their one touch passing and technique was at a level far above this tournament.  We could have definitely done better defensively though, the build up to that first goal saw us giving them far too much respect and we missed a few chances to win/intercept the ball instead standing off and eventually we paid for it.  #17 (Bouchard?) had a real rough game, was he not listed as a FW or am I going crazy?

That was a whole lot of fun even though we were over matched and well beaten by an excellent Brazil side! It was great that a lot of V's from out of town and out of country (Cockney Rip Off) were able to join us in The Hammer, we sang pretty much right through the match and many of the locals were quite intrigued by our group! With a little better finishing we may have kept this one closer but this was an excellent opportunity for the coaches to assess our young players in preparation for Olympic Qualifying! Thanks to all who made the trip and joined us at THF!

Canadian soccer needs ideology. "Playing for fun" is not helping us in the competitive sceptrum. Canada soccer and athletics period needs to be approahed like hockey "Serious Business".

We need our own league (which is apparently in the making) to start. 

But yeah as for the most part it's people playing it for fun. So many people play the game and get pretty good but never pursue it further. 

This is why the Canadian Hockey League has been so successful for Canada. It tells the kids at age 16 that they could do this for a career, making them train harder and more often. For soccer though, I think kids should know that sooner. 

That was a whole lot of fun even though we were over matched and well beaten by an excellent Brazil side! It was great that a lot of V's from out of town and out of country (Cockney Rip Off) were able to join us in The Hammer, we sang pretty much right through the match and many of the locals were quite intrigued by our group! With a little better finishing we may have kept this one closer but this was an excellent opportunity for the coaches to assess our young players in preparation for Olympic Qualifying! Thanks to all who made the trip and joined us at THF!

Had a good time with my buddies. Hopefully I catch a couple more games and spend a bit more time in the supporters section. Glad to see we scored. As a side note, what the heck happened with Brazil's goalie after the scrum that happened near centre field?

I am completely impressed with Babouli. Just played like an ace out there. Created chances and played the forward / wing role to a T. He was the one player of ours that was an offensive force for us. Here's hoping he gets some time in MLS to see how he does. Excellent performance tonight. Gives me hope our academies can get some more quality players like that developed soon.

James just showed no fear in his tackles even in the box and yet not once did my heart skip a beat because of it. Just great "Laba-esque" timing he showed tonight.

Boakai was coughing up the ball too much early but got in rhythm later. A solid outing consider his age.

Edwards in sub role did what he should and ran right at and past the tired defenders. Excellent. Shame about not getting the PK call that was deserved.

It gives me hope   :)

These guys played with guts, honour and creative ambition. I will take a loss like this to a side like Brasil any day of the week. Looking forward to seeing Them play more beatable opposition.

Q: Was Froese considered for this side?

No cause he's named on the 35 man Gold Cup team (like Hamilton). Just unfortunate that both events are played at the same time, cause the squad would have been completely different if it wasn't. On the other hand guys like Babouli can make a case for themselves now.

Despite the scoreline, that was somewhat encouraging.  Hope to see better against Panama Peru.

Repeating what others have said, I would like to see the youth given some freedom to try things in the attacking zone.  It was nice to see Raheem Edwards try to go one-on-one vs. a defender at the end.  We need to see more of that. 

The players need to train to make decisions faster.  They were caught in possession too often.  They need to play at a level that forces them to think quickly.

Canada also has to learn to defend the give and go.  Brazil made some of our defending look very naive in the first half with that basic play.

Despite the small failings, there is cause for some optimism. 

Yesterday was a really long day for me and with jet lag and the time it took to get back to Toronto after the match, I feel really out if it right now but here are some random thoughts of the match.

As Ray pointed out above, Canada looked really poor defending the give an go play of Brazil. Too much ball watching in the first 20 minutes and that cost Canada a goal. I haven't seen the replay, but my intial thought was that the keeper should have saved that or am I wrong? One player who I thought did a great job defensively picking up runs down the flank was Babouli.

Were Brazil's central defenders really slow? Most of Canada's opportunities came from balls over the top of the defenders which allowed canada to run behind and get in on goal. It was a shame we were not a little more clinical with some of those chances early on.

I think Canada's cautious play early on really hurt them. There were a few opportunity for Canada to attack in the first half but there were no players running forward to stretch the play or as an outlet to receive the ball. This made it really easy for the Brazilians to swarm the man the with ball and cause Canada to turn it over in there own end.

It was really nice to see a partisan crowd of all different backgrounds cheer on Canada. I don't know if I have been tainted by too many Ecuador and Honduras matches, but I was shocked by how pro canada the people in the ground were.

It was great to meet other v's as well. Is anyone going to the other two group stage matches?

Despite the loss, there were some definite positives. I liked Mannella's composure a lot and he didn't seem to take any shit. Babouli of course looks solid. James and Boakie looked great although the latter had some give aways but that is expected. 

Despite the loss, there were some definite positives. I liked Mannella's composure a lot and he didn't seem to take any shit. Babouli of course looks solid. James and Boakie looked great although the latter had some give aways but that is expected. 

+1 agree.

Mannella is definitely a player to watch. I love his simplicity, and preciseness. He plays the holding mid position perfect. 

Archived