NWSL Draft aka tl;dr

Strider

I was following the draft today quite closely with the expectation that at a bare minimum 2 Canadians would be selected. I expected and was pleasantly surprised Nkem Ezurike was chosen so highly, but I also anticipated Shelina Zadorsky would be chosen. It seems, much like MLS unless you're exceptional, as a Canadian don't expect an American league to necessarily treat you as full partners.

I presumed a small draft total, but I thought 2 would be small, only to be off by 50%. I based this presumption on the fact Canadians are treated as an international, but that turns out not to be the case. Canadians and Mexicans are full partners in the league and can be signed by any team without the millstone designation International.

The proof was provided today by Nancy Feldman, the coach of Boston University‏ in today's draft day chat on the NWSL website:

Guest:

What about the Louisville players D Rachel Melhado and F Christine Exeter?

Friday January 17, 2014 12:39

Nancy Feldman:

Both are internationals and teams only have 3 slots. Only 1 international taken so far

Nancy Feldman:

Actually, Canadians and Mexican players will not count toward that allotment

Friday January 17, 2014 12:40

Guest: Nancy, is this true: "Actually, Canadians and Mexican players will not count toward that allotment"?

Friday January 17, 2014 12:47

Nancy Feldman:

that is true from the NWSL source that is sitting by my side

This being the case, the poor showing by Canadians in today's draft is baffling. I can only assume it shows the true provincial nature of the partners we've conjoined with, though admittedly it's not the league as is the case with MLS, but rather the individual clubs. I suppose good on them for being so loyal to their country, even if it is at the expense of a league partner. So, actually kudos to the league for caring for Canadian player development, even if largely theoretical at this point.

Even this restricted outlook is understandable in some regard due to the below minimum wage nature of NWSL at this point that teams would want to draft local where possible to cut expenses, but it also might explain the limited purview of their scouting as an example today, Nancy Feldman was asked who she's surprised is still on the board, she mentioned 2 names and they were soon taken; as if, she was being used as that teams scouting department because of the small team budget. Certainly this could be coincidence, but it gives one pause. So I noticed 2 trends in the draft, this option to draft local, but if there was an USWT player available no matter where from, to draft said player; caused, I believe by this lack of scouting. That is to say if they're on our national team, they must be good. I would say there were only about 6 players which didn't fall into either of these categories. But even at, they failed to venture far afield and draft a Canadian National Team member, excluding Nkem. So, even a final round dart at the dartboard didn't merit a Canuck.

The financial constraints seemed to be implied in the list of eligible players as Katie Stengel and Aubrey Bledsoe were said to be looking overseas and Notre Dame's Elizabeth Tucker was said to be going into accounting.

Even our own Melissa Tancredi was reported to be peeved that she might have to give up a perfect chiropractic position in Chicago. It would likely explain the trade of a player that will have a very short shelf life in the league for a goalie, which typically have long careers. Kudos once again to the league for doing what's best for the player considering their financial constraints.

This article might seem negative, but it's not; certainly not compared to MLS, which was contrived treating Canadians as inferiors. The rules are more important sometimes than the execution. If a Canadian team were ever to join the NWSL the execution would surely catch up to the rules.

I'm also sure that if Canadians care to they could be signed on a tryout, hopefully in spite of the insular bias that seems to be rampant in each individual part of the sum; if not, let me make clear in the sum itself.

I suppose I could apologize for the bulk of this post, because there's always the possibility individual clubs don't know Canadians are equals.

Strider

I would suggest they know who the CDN’s are and try-outs are available and in discussions.

But then the reality that many players are probably looking at?

http://www.stumptownfooty.com/2013/4/12/4217340/nwsl-player-salaries-are-shockingly-low

the wages being paid by the NWSL don't offer much and give a big reason why some players such as the Thorns' Tobin Heath and Amber Brooks opted to play for Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich, respectively. According to a report by The Equalizer, Megan Rapinoe, who currently plies her trade with Olympique Lyon, is earning about $14,000 per month. That's more than many NWSL-ers will earn in a year.

A quick look at NWSL salaries

Jeff Kassouf April 11, 2013 60

NWSL executive director Cheryl Bailey said player salaries range from $6,000-$30,000. (Photo Copyright: Patricia Giobetti | http://www.printroom.com/pro/psgiobetti)

On Thursday’s national conference call previewing the inaugural National Women’s Soccer League season, league executive director Cheryl Bailey said players’ salaries will range from $6,000-$30,000.

The majority of players in the NWSL will never see anything close to that top figure. Some of the better free agents in the league are earning under $20,000 and Canadian and Mexican national team players are also in the middle of that range. That sort of pay is comparable to the final season (2011) of Women’s Professional Soccer, when salaries dropped significantly. But at that point for WPS, the damage was already done.

The soccer “training” last summer at AFC Ajax suggested a far better choice in which to enjoy a last gasp before the student athlete follows their career path based on their education.

Strider

I would suggest they know who the CDN’s are and try-outs are available and in discussions.

But then the reality that many players are probably looking at?

My title tl:dr proves accurate:

I'm also sure that if Canadians care to they could be signed on a tryout, hopefully in spite of the insular bias that seems to be rampant in each individual part of the sum; if not, let me make clear in the sum itself.

Unallocated Canadians are internationals.

I expected as much, but that's why I wanted to confirm the statement by Coach Feldman:

Guest: Nancy, is this true: "Actually, Canadians and Mexican players will not count toward that allotment"?

Nancy Feldman:

If this is true:

Unallocated Canadians are internationals.
you can disregard much of my post: NWSL is just as bad as MLS, perhaps worse.

They meant allocated players. Unless you have citizenship or a green card, or are federation-allocated, you burn an international spot.

No, the context of the question was beyond the allocated players, they're a given.

The proof was provided today by Nancy Feldman, the coach of Boston University‏ in today's draft day chat on the NWSL website:

Guest:

What about the Louisville players D Rachel Melhado and F Christine Exeter?

Friday January 17, 2014 12:39

Nancy Feldman:

Both are internationals and teams only have 3 slots. Only 1 international taken so far

Nancy Feldman:

Actually, Canadians and Mexican players will not count toward that allotment

Friday January 17, 2014 12:40

Nancy Feldman:

I had commented on 2 other occasions within the chat, that CSA and Femexfut players should be treated as equal partners within the league. My comments weren't broadcast within the chat, but coach Feldman and "the NWSL source" would have been aware of that context.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived