3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

For decades, "Unattached FC" was the running joke as the most common club for the MNT players. Now this forum has a thread devoted to the number of champions we have in Europe this past season.  The players almost certainly have an improved mentality now just from their club play.  Against a team that had barely played together and is below Canada in the standings, Canada looked disorganized and sloppy for the first half and nearly conceded a goal. The talent level on Canada is now such that beating these types of teams isn't "a resounding success" - it's the bare minimum.

We didn’t look great to start, as it clearly took a little bit to settle into the game. Let’s not be overly critical though, it’s not like they were dominating for any length of time and getting clear cut chances from a couple yards out. Becker hit a nice first time shot off the crossbar from outside the box, it is what it is. We dominated possession, had them pinned back consistently, and had the vast majority of scoring chances.

I do agree that with the quality of players we have, we need to be beating the Suriname’s of the world relatively easily, and that’s what we did. I don’t think it showed a master class in coaching by Herdman, but he certainly accomplished the mission so I don’t see why some people are so intent on discrediting him and rebutting anyone that gives him any praise.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was looking up some stats on our players and noticed that the MLS website has him listed as 5 foot 12    

I'm hoping for success for the Whitecaps, not because I'm really a fan, but because I want MDS to do well. He's one of the few managers who actively gives Canadians a chance. He has given opportunitie

I posted this on the Canucks weekly thread as well. With this match we may see interest in a transfer to Spain revived, especially since the Spanish league does not start for another month and teams w

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, archer21 said:

We didn’t look great to start, as it clearly took a little bit to settle into the game. Let’s not be overly critical though, it’s not like they were dominating for any length of time and getting clear cut chances from a couple yards out. Becker hit a nice first time shot off the crossbar from outside the box, it is what it is. We dominated possession, had them pinned back consistently, and had the vast majority of scoring chances.

I do agree that with the quality of players we have, we need to be beating the Suriname’s of the world relatively easily, and that’s what we did. I don’t think it showed a master class in coaching by Herdman, but he certainly accomplished the mission so I don’t see why some people are so intent on discrediting him and rebutting anyone that gives him any praise.

Exactly. It was a scary quarter chance they had... it wasn't even a half chance, just a nice strike. 

We had the first clear cut chance of the game on David's breakaway but people want to act like the Suriname attempt equated to them having control or us being shaky. It's not reality. The game was open early and then around the 20 minute mark onward they couldn't get in our half. 

12 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

For decades, "Unattached FC" was the running joke as the most common club for the MNT players. Now this forum has a thread devoted to the number of champions we have in Europe this past season.  The players almost certainly have an improved mentality now just from their club play.  Against a team that had barely played together and is below Canada in the standings, Canada looked disorganized and sloppy for the first half and nearly conceded a goal. The talent level on Canada is now such that beating these types of teams isn't "a resounding success" - it's the bare minimum.

Holy shit, if you guys think that Canada is suddenly too talented to take pressure from teams which have players playing at high levels in Europe, then you're gonna have a bad time. Yes, Canada has some talented players now. So does Suriname. So do lots of Concacaf teams. I feel like some posters here suddenly think that now that we have David and Davies we are supposed to be France or something. We still have a relatively weak backline that good teams are going to be able to test. That's the reality of football. Herdman has instilled a mindset that is focused on responding to those tests and being ruthless in that response, and that's exactly what happened. We are not good enough to be able to dominate good teams for 90+ minutes, that's just not realistic. We were playing a new formation, with a CB who had never been capped, another CB has been a bit of a bomb scare, and another CB who is a right back. And it's considered a near-disaster that a Bundesliga winger was able to get a shot off on target before the game had settled in? Ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, archer21 said:

I think this is the point we're all debating. The mission (so far) has been accomplished. How much of that is due to the improvement in the quality of our players (which no one debates) and how much is on the manager, well that's what we're wondering. Hope Herdman and the team get it done against Haiti and at least show well in the Octo.

Edited by Watchmen
2 minutes ago, frmr said:

Holy shit, if you guys think that Canada is suddenly too talented to take pressure from teams which have players playing at high levels in Europe, then you're gonna have a bad time. Yes, Canada has some talented players now. So does Suriname. So do lots of Concacaf teams. I feel like some posters here suddenly think that now that we have David and Davies we are supposed to be France or something. We still have a relatively weak backline that good teams are going to be able to test. That's the reality of football. Herdman has instilled a mindset that is focused on responding to those tests and being ruthless in that response, and that's exactly what happened. We are not good enough to be able to dominate good teams for 90+ minutes, that's just not realistic. We were playing a new formation, with a CB who had never been capped, another CB has been a bit of a bomb scare, and another CB who is a right back. And it's considered a near-disaster that a Bundesliga winger was able to get a shot off on target before the game had settled in? Ridiculous.

Actually he hit the woodwork, so it's not considered on target ;)