section114row20

Lucas Cavallini

Cav appears to be enjoying the service he is receiving. Could have scored 4 or 5 goals vs FG. Appears to be bonding with his team mates. He is going to get better as we play more games .. Larin understandably is lacking confidence and is not match fit. Cav brings an aggressive and intimidating presence to our team. We need more of that from others. 

10 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It really would be incredible to have two Canadians playing regularly at the Azteca! It would be great preparation for Nations League and WCQ.

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Has there been any solid news on which MLS clubs are in for him?

I like the idea of Cavallini and Eustaquio playing together. And I'm sure Cavallini has stated before that the only MLS team he'd join is TFC, and he would likely have to be a DP... so since TFC has no room then perhaps interest from MLS is moot?

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think Cavallini could aim higher - La Liga. I would love to see him transferred to La Liga.  It would be fantastic for his career to be in the top flight of Spain where he would get all the exposure.

I think a move to a club like Valencia or Seville would be perfect for him.  

No offence to cavallini but I don’t think he’s good enough to be a guaranteed started with those teams. Going from the tenth place team in Mexico to a top 6 team in Spain seems unlikely. I think if he was transferred to Spain he would be more likely to go to a mid table club like betis, leganes, deportivo alaves, or Villarreal 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I think Cavallini could aim higher - La Liga. I would love to see him transferred to La Liga.  It would be fantastic for his career to be in the top flight of Spain where he would get all the exposure.

I think a move to a club like Valencia or Seville would be perfect for him.  

Honestly id rather he move to a better club in mexico. One reason is selfish and that is we need players not afraid of central american climates during world cup and nations league. 

The other reason is i fear if he moves to a big european club he will risk turning into a Larin(slow to adapt, poor perormance, lack playing time). 

Hes got a good thing going in mexico and its a quality league, still above MLS. Id rather he stay there. 

Edited by king1010

Even a mid-table team in La Liga is likely too big a jump for him currently.  I would much rather him prove himself at a bigger Mexican club first before moving overseas unless he moves to a lesser stepping stone league such as Belgium, Netherlands.

I agree that except at the bottom third or quarter of La Liga, he probably can't compete.

Though there are clubs with modest budgets and results that are better that might look at him, thinking that all you need out of a guy is 7-8 goals.

If he were to sign to 2nd division, with so many big clubs, he'd be fine. Like Zaragoza.

Posted (edited)

Hoping the Cruz Azul move comes to fruition. If he can prove he can score there he'll be primed for that solid European move that some are hoping for.

Edited by Obinna

19 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

I like the idea of Cavallini and Eustaquio playing together. And I'm sure Cavallini has stated before that the only MLS team he'd join is TFC, and he would likely have to be a DP... so since TFC has no room then perhaps interest from MLS is moot?

Do we know how much he is making? I would guess he could be happy with TAM level money, which should mean there is room for him on TFC (hard to know for sure)

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Do we know how much he is making? I would guess he could be happy with TAM level money, which should mean there is room for him on TFC (hard to know for sure)

I've seen articles that say the average salary in Mexico is over 300 thousand CDN a year. Second in the Americas only to Brazil. 

If he is at average, or even slightly below, that means anyone wanting him is going to have to pay considerably more--and I am not sure MLS would. 

I don't think it will happen for so many reasons, many have been already discussed, he's probably just what Toronto FC need up front right now!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Obinna said:

Hoping the Cruz Azul move comes to fruition. If he can prove he can score there he'll be primed for that solid European move that some are hoping for.

Honestly he’s already 26 lets say he stays at Cruz Azul for 2 years. I can’t see Europeans investing in a player who has 2 years until reaching 30

Edited by canta15

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I've seen articles that say the average salary in Mexico is over 300 thousand CDN a year. Second in the Americas only to Brazil. 

If he is at average, or even slightly below, that means anyone wanting him is going to have to pay considerably more--and I am not sure MLS would. 

If TFC are paying Zav 260 american a year (350 CDN) for a back up CB.  MX is better than MLS, and Cav is scoring a dozen goals a season there, so lets say with playing time he'll bag 10-12 in MLS.  300/350 US for 12 goals sounds pretty good to me.

4 hours ago, canta15 said:

Honestly he’s already 26 lets say he stays at Cruz Azul for 2 years. I can’t see Europeans investing in a player who has 2 years until reaching 30

Depends on the club and the situation and how he plays at Cruz Azul. If he bangs in goals there and a team in La Liga needs immediate help without breaking the bank, it could certainly happen. Not every transfer is a long term project.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Monterrey are not average, so this may be the exception, but during the CCL Peter Vermes (I think it was) described them as having 8 DP players and 10 TAM players (or something to that effect). 

That is way, way, way over $300,000 Canadian per year.

Edited by Obinna

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Depends on the club and the situation and how he plays at Cruz Azul. If he bangs in goals there and a team in La Liga needs immediate help without breaking the bank, it could certainly happen. Not every transfer is a long term project.

I love the idea, being in Spain, but I am just not seeing a lot of Mexicans in La Liga lately, or even in 2nd division.  There are tons of Argentines, and even from Uruguay though.

Just checking transfermarkt, there are only 5 in all La Liga, none a striker (Lainez is the newest), and all came young except Néstor Araujo who was bought by Celta last year from Santos Laguna, when about to turn 27 years old.

I think Cavallini has to think about natural career curves. First to a top Mexican side. His goal production may increase as bigger clubs have more chances on goal, score more in general. Then see what offers may arise. If he is making the money we are talking about upwards of 400,000, he is probably very well set professionally.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I love the idea, being in Spain, but I am just not seeing a lot of Mexicans in La Liga lately, or even in 2nd division.  There are tons of Argentines, and even from Uruguay though.

Just checking transfermarkt, there are only 5 in all La Liga, none a striker (Lainez is the newest), and all came young except Néstor Araujo who was bought by Celta last year from Santos Laguna, when about to turn 27 years old.

I think Cavallini has to think about natural career curves. First to a top Mexican side. His goal production may increase as bigger clubs have more chances on goal, score more in general. Then see what offers may arise. If he is making the money we are talking about upwards of 400,000, he is probably very well set professionally.

Of course, Cavallini is not Mexican, so it would be more accurate to look at how many players transferred from Liga MX, regardless of their nationality. To my surprise, there was actually only 4 (3 Mexicans and a Peruvian).

That said, there were players transferring from the Serbian League, Danish League, Kazakhstan League, Uruguayan League, all levels which are similar or below Liga MX. So while it’s true there is no big pipeline at the moment from Mexico to Spain, it shows that clubs will go anywhere to find a player of interest, whether that is Puebla or Boston River. The modest club from Uruguay transferred a player to Getafe, who went on to make 33 appearances this season, if I recall correctly. 

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If he is making the money we are talking about upwards of 400,000, he is probably very well set professionally.

His good buddy Osorio is making much more than that right now at TFC.

11 hours ago, RS said:

His good buddy Osorio is making much more than that right now at TFC.

I cited the Liga MX average. Do you think a striker scoring in Liga MX, even on a mid-table team, is on average salary?

The real difference is that Cavallini (or via his club) has real offers, confirmed over a long period of time, openly public, with the team names known. So he is clearly on an upward curve he can take advantage of

Osorio does not have a single confirmed offer, just rumours, all unsubstantiated. Many overblown and exagerrated last season by TFC fans (I think probably by his agents).

For Osorio to sign a renovation of contract at TFC and continue there makes sense. For CAvallini to move on to a bigger team, makes sense for him, but they are totally different situations.