Bryan Cristante

Sam

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

90% chance that's exactly what happens. When everyone's healthy, Bryan won't even make the bench

I'm thinking Alain Rochat situation. Couple mins playing for Swiss, and he's no longer eligible for Canada. Canada could have used him at LB during last WC cycle

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see a ultra Conservative organization like FIFA changing that rule. At the end of the day, the player has to live with his decision.

If Bryan thinks playing a total of 10 minutes for Italy is worth never being in a World Cup (2026 for Canada, potentially 2022 where he'd most likely be a starter) then that's on him.

35 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I don't see a ultra Conservative organization like FIFA changing that rule. At the end of the day, the player has to live with his decision.

If Bryan thinks playing a total of 10 minutes for Italy is worth never being in a World Cup (2026 for Canada, potentially 2022 where he'd most likely be a starter) then that's on him.

I bet your right on the FIFA rule, but there is Victor Montagliani who is Vice President  and looking more and more he'll be running for the  President spot. Also you do have African nations and Caribbean nations who have lost a lot of players to other nations like Canada, if a similar rule like that about switching is put to a vote , it would be an interesting the vote results. 

Maybe as a supporter group we should put  pressure on Victor

I understand your logic and feeling about the players have to live with it, but it's not just the players it's the  Country they didn't choose has to live with it too. Now you can say we need to develop our own talent and not rely on duels, that's so true, with that thinking though how many times has Canada developed a player and they go off to play for a better country. " yes I know Bryan was Italian ". Because we are ranked 96 in the world and everyone knows the rest. Wouldn't be nice to maybe get some players bad and help this program? 

UGGHH, Special K. give it up!  you want to make the eligibility rules more convoluted and malleable? We should be trying to clean these up, make them simpler etc.  These kids that are eligible for 3-4 countries and then they have one time switches etc, its idiotic!  And how can a guy play in a WC for one country (deGuzman) and then when he is old and lost a step switch to a weaker country??  Its not FIFA 18, you cant edit the game to get canada into the WC.  

6 minutes ago, SpecialK said:

how many times has Canada developed a player and they go off to play for a better country.

Depending on your definition of "developed", probably very few. Jonathan De Guzman for example moved away from Canada when he was what, 12 or something? We didn't exactly drop him off at the Dutch national team doorstep. That Bosnian goalkeeper lived in Canada from 10 years old until 16 or so. Those are formative years but still, 6 years and his professional chance came in England.

We might even stand to lose players with the rule you are suggesting. Players could use us early on in their careers and try to "promote" to a better national team.

Either way, whether it would positively or negatively affect Canada I don't want the national team game to become even more like the club game, where players go from team to team.

Bison in today World your always going to have the problem with players now being  eligible for 2-4 nations. So why should a nation have a right to a player that hasn't played in years? If there is an agreement between all parties why not? If the Dutch don't want DeGuzman and Canada wants him and the Dutch say you can have him, why not? Nations won't be stealing players. It would apply to all nations. 

There are reason why Canada hasn't made the World Cup in what 31 ones and having quality players is one of them. If a rule change can help that, I'm all in .

2 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Bison in today World your always going to have the problem with players now being  eligible for 2-4 nations. So why should a nation have a right to a player that hasn't played in years? If there is an agreement between all parties why not? If the Dutch don't want DeGuzman and Canada wants him and the Dutch say you can have him, why not? Nations won't be stealing players. It would apply to all nations. 

There are reason why Canada hasn't made the World Cup in what 31 ones and having quality players is one of them. If a rule change can help that, I'm all in .

I don't support a rule soley on the basis of whether or not it can help us. If it is a good rule AND it can help us, than it would get my support. 

This would help us, but it would not be a good rule. Too problematic. Adds unnecessary complexity in an attempt to create more parity for international soccer.

If you want artifical parity stick to MLS.

International soccer is not the place.

23 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Nah Begovic was different actually. He was already captied when he filed his one-time switch before he played for Bosnia, because he played for us at the U-20 level. Cristante would actually need to play an official match (that isn't a friendly) for him to be captied. 

Oh yeah my bad.  I actually knew that woops

I'm actually proud of Cristante and happy for him. He was never ours, it was an outside chance, and it still could be. But for a player like that to rise as he has, well its admirable in purely footballing terms. I mean, all power to him. But no advantage to Canada, unfortunately. 

It is not like others who were once with us, wore our shirt, and have now decided we are too little for them.

6 hours ago, SpecialK said:

For example look at  Jonathan De Guzman he  chosed the netherlands, he hasn't played 2-3 years and probably won't play again because of his age and the young talent coming up. Well he's 30 now and playing in the Bundesliga league, Canada could us him ! If the Dutch don't want him he should be able to come and play for Canada. 

De Guzman wouldn't be eligible to play for Canada anyway because he is no longer a citizen. 

12 minutes ago, finchster said:

De Guzman wouldn't be eligible to play for Canada anyway because he is no longer a citizen. 

His whole idea is ridiculous. As if the Dutch would willingly give up a decent depth player! A few injuries, a solid bounce back season and Jono could be on the WC roster next summer.

I wouldn't want Jonathan "the traitor" De Guzman to play for us anyways. Buddy made his decision and can continue to fail to make one of the worst Dutch teams ever for his choice to chase glory

3 hours ago, Mike Thompson said:

Guys, it's a lost cause! Forget about Cristante, be more realistic than optimistic 

I think we were realistic here and then THREE GUYS got hurt at what might just be the worst time for Canada. If he plays whatever lock this up and if he doesn't then this talk and watch will continue.

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

I wouldn't want Jonathan "the traitor" De Guzman to play for us anyways. Buddy made his decision and can continue to fail to make one of the worst Dutch teams ever for his choice to chase glory

He went to a World Cup. .....where his brother never made the Hex. Who failed?

50 minutes ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

He went to a World Cup. .....where his brother never made the Hex. Who failed?

He was loyal to the country he was born and raised in, I'm sure Julian takes pride in being one of the best players in Canadian history and giving fans like us something to cheer about

4 hours ago, TFC2017 said:

Not only did 3 guys get injured in the span of 2 days, Ventura (Italy's coach) didn't call up Jorginho a player playing consistently and extremely well for Napoli. 

Talk of him going to Canada was pretty realistic up until the injuries

This was just now, what about 2 years into the future if Cristante continued to perform well and the old guns such as De Rossi, Marchisio, etc retire

Archived