Bryan Cristante

Sam

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, johnyb said:

Sorry to be "that" guy but this doesn't change much until he steps on the field. 

Well yea it does. He almost certainly will never be giving up on Italy now that he's been called..

I think many were under the impression that he was a year or two away. The only hope now is that he never gets a cap, stagnates and plays for us when we qualify or host... not great odds nor something you would wish on the guy.

on the plus side this will be a good experience for our new optimistic posters here.. now you can all become cynical realists like the rest of us.

This is a really weird situation. We want him to play well so that if he does join us he will be in form. However, we don't want him to play so well that he gets an Italy call-up. Unfortunately the latter has occured. Just hope he doesn't get cap-tied.

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

This is a really weird situation. We want him to play well so that if he does join us he will be in form. However, we don't want him to play so well that he gets an Italy call-up. Unfortunately the latter has occured. Just hope he doesn't get cap-tied.

This is what we have gone through for almost two decades with some of our prospects.

Can't blame the kid. Unless Canada is able to perform in CONCACAF and consistently qualifies for:

• World Cups
  • Future Copa America
  • At least Quarter-Finals at Gold Cups (I'd argue Semi-Finals)
  • 1st Group in League of Nation

Our kids in Europe will always hope for a call up from a Euro side way ahead of us. We need to be a top 6 CONCACAF nation and compete with the US, Panama and Costa Rica while finally be able to not worry about Honduras once and for all.

Until then, this isn't a surprise at all. There's a difference between being branded "Canada's savior and a regular member of a world class team"

1 hour ago, Jith12 said:

Is it really that weird, or just standard fare for a Canadian men's soccer supporter?

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Our kids in Europe will always hope for a call up from a Euro side way ahead of us. We need to be a top 6 CONCACAF nation and compete with the US, Panama and Costa Rica while finally be able to not worry about Honduras once and for all.

Lets be clear here...he isn't our kid. He is their kid that we are trying to pull away.

Cristante has been called up because there have been 3 injuries to central midfielders: to Verratti, De Rossi and Pellegrini.

Ventura plays a very specific 4-2-4 formation that requires a certain type of central midfielder. There are players, like Jorginho, who have been ignored by Ventura, despite their magnificent play in Serie A, because he says there is no room for that type of player in his system.

Just goes to show...that even though I wouldn't have Cristante among my top 10 or maybe 15 of talented Italian midfielders, he got called because the coach thinks he could potentially fill a role.

Edit: Forgot that Marchisio is injured as well. So that is actually 4 players ahead of Cristante in that position that are currently out.

Edit #2: Read that Montolivo is injured as well. So that is 5 injuries in 1 specific position that has lead to the Cristante call up.

It's time to move on now. Although never say never. 

Ironically he would have to go backwards for a number of years now to be ignored by Italy and to consider pulling on the red. Hopefully by that time we will be further developing talent of his level which would mean he wouldn't really be a big deal by the time he committed anyway. 

Would have been a great addition for us now but best of luck to him with Italy. 

9 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Begovic joke?

Nah Begovic was different actually. He was already captied when he filed his one-time switch before he played for Bosnia, because he played for us at the U-20 level. Cristante would actually need to play an official match (that isn't a friendly) for him to be captied. 

1 hour ago, jpg75 said:

So looks like Varetti was also injured, that's 3 injured mids. I wouldn't count on Cristante getting on the field (but you never know), but as Keegan says this will embolden him and we won't see him for a loooong time.

http://www.tsn.ca/azzurri-calls-up-cmnt-eligible-cristante-1.872885

As an aside...we have come a long way when TSN is reporting on international call ups of dual nationals eligible for the CanMNT.

We are becoming relevant.

I'm happy for him. I'd rather him realize his dream and play for his country then to play for us just because he couldn't for Italy. I'm in the camp where ideally our national team is comprised of people born and raised in Canada who would kill to pull on the jersey.

Hey Special K, does this sting a bit? Hurts deep down eh?  Hate to be a dick, but you will get used to it as a CDN fan, That is why some of older guys have such hate for OH that you cant understand...he broke our hearts decades ago.  Hurt the program and helped take the CMNT into the wilderness.  I know you are super excited but some of us old men have been down this road too many times to share your enthusiasm for some of these long shot dual nationals.  Chin up..there is still a chance........

Archived