M. Haber gets ripped a new one for Xmas

nolando

Stevenage boss Graham Westley has laid down a challenge to returning striker Marcus Haber to prove he has a future at the club....

“I sent Marcus out on a long-term loan, he’s been at Notts County, he’s come back in, he’s not had a great loan spell lets face facts, he spent most of it on the bench up there.

“That’s it now he’s been at a club that’s below us in the league and they have sent him back and there is, from what I understand, no further interest.

“So he’s got to get his head around that, he’s got to think about that, he’s got to think ‘the manager’s sent me out, I’ve been to another club in the same league who are down the bottom they don’t want me, he’s got to get his head around that and as a professional I’m sure he will and I hope he thinks about making changes, changes that make him part of the future here.

http://www.thecomet.net/stevenage-fc/stevenage_boss_lays_down_challenge_to_marcus_haber_1_3146372

It's not looking good for him, maybe a return to North America? Man do we ever need a good news story from one or two of our MNT players!

It seemed our best young player abroad was "Unused Sub" followed by "Not Dressed on Match Day," also not forgetting the 2013 contributions to our MNT program from the club "FC Unattached."

It's not looking good for him, maybe a return to North America? Man do we ever need a good news story from one or two of our MNT strikers!

What about Ricketts getting action and scoring some goals at Bucaspor? I know he's no one's preferred striker, but that is the best news we have right now. 6 goals in 17 competitions since Sept 14....

What about Ricketts getting action and scoring some goals at Bucaspor? I know he's no one's preferred striker, but that is the best news we have right now. 6 goals in 17 competitions since Sept 14....

D2 league in which defence is an afterthought... sorry, just sayin...

D2 league in which defence is an afterthought... sorry, just sayin...

True but he and Clarke are the only Canadian strikers getting regular minutes right now so it's really the best news we have. Considering he was begging FIFA to release his contract 2 years ago it's still an improvement. Maybe we can factor Porter into the conversation if he gets more starts at DC this year.

But, I do agree that the state of our strikers is truly sad:

- Hume is on the wrong side of 30 and won't be a big part of the team going forward

- Jackson can't see his way into the lineup at Eintracht

- Cavallini is out of favour at Nacional

- Haber is out of favour at Stevenage

Graham Westley has never pulled any punches and what he's said I can't disagree with. Maybe Marcus just isn't good enough to play in League One. FACT.

Good enough is one thing but lacking the skill set and/or style of play necessary to get field time in the 3rd division can be quite another.

Hope/strongly suspect Marcus' problem is the latter but you have to be able to play with the cards you're dealt. Doesn't look like he's doing such a good job of that right now.

^Was going to chime in with that. With a couple exceptions for the CMNT, whenever I watch Haber play, I feel like the game moves around him, like he stands still. I remember a few games, there were times at St. Johnstone he'd just wander back from an offside possession, even when his team had the ball and was pressing forward. He's one of THOSE guys, and that's why I never much liked watching him play.

A couple times this year, particularly against the USA, it looked like he was starting to come around, but based on these comments and only these comments (I haven't seen him play league action lately), I wonder if he's sort of reverted to that lazy attitude.

We really need a new generation of players to step up here, and I think the MLS teams are going to precipitate that movement, honestly, within the next five years.

True but he and Clarke are the only Canadian strikers getting regular minutes right now so it's really the best news we have. Considering he was begging FIFA to release his contract 2 years ago it's still an improvement. Maybe we can factor Porter into the conversation if he gets more starts at DC this year.

But, I do agree that the state of our strikers is truly sad:

- Hume is on the wrong side of 30 and won't be a big part of the team going forward

- Jackson can't see his way into the lineup at Eintracht

- Cavallini is out of favour at Nacional

- Haber is out of favour at Stevenage

... Olivier Occean is back on reasonable form in B2... but not getting any calls from Floro.

one goal every six games is hardly the strike rate you want from a forward, even if he's a target man

This is true. However, many players have had long careers with similar strike rates.

The issue isn't just the scoring, or lack there of, necessarily. If the player is working hard, and helping the team, moving well, passing well. If they are still helping the attack, then the coach, and team and fans will not mind.

But I do not think M' Haber's football IQ is high enough that he contributes much of anything other than heading in the ball, and dribbling a bit. He is ok at holding up play... but in truth.. I don't think he is bringing any of those 'intangibles' that make a misfiring striker worth of keeping around.

Archived