Cyprus Cup March 5-12, 2014

Vic

#7 Norway who are ranked just behind us lost all their games as well.

Like I said, England are not the same England. They're markedly under-ranked at #11. That's the ballpark Hope Powell had them in before she was sacked last summer. Since then they've gone:

Canada 2-0

Finland 3-0

Italy 2-0

Norway 1-1

Turkey 4-0

Wales 2-0

Turkey 8-0

Belarus 6-0

Losing to England in Europe isn't the end of the world. If it was it would have happened a couple times already in the past year. We don't seem to match well with them there, be nice to play another one here and see how it goes.

It's unfortunate we couldn't get a break, but on the bright side we lost a couple defenders to injury and capped an 18 year old kid. We also went there to learn to handle lower ranked teams and did it twice.

Speaking of breaks, at the minute mark you don't get many looks better than this:

What would I do with the information? Keep feeding it into the model.

I'd also add watching our losses in 2007 and 2008 into it as well.

We aren't favoured to win the Cup. We're 10-1. And the only way we're going to do it is alchemy. A magic combination of mad science, cutting edge tactics, superb talent identification, and the luck of the Irish. If we knock out the English again in the quarters, that's what matters. No one myself included will remember this game.

The reply to this post is probably "so we're essentially giving him carte blanche for 15 months?" And my answer would be yes; he's qualified for it, his assessments of the game are accurate, and he's earned it.

When the US lose to Denmark and Canada loses to England, North American Women's soccer is in trouble, both programs had better wake up before the wave pushes them away from the top of the podium.

On this... not a good day for the USA. The U19s lost 1-0 to the Norwegians today too.

The North American school system can't match the global club system. Talented girls in the 14-16 range have to delay 2-4 years to compete with "adult" players. And when they finally get to the post-secondary level the age band of competitors is 4-5 years and not 20, and you're not training and playing with professionals. And the playing season is two months and not eight.

I don't know how you turn that gargantuan dinosaur on a dime, but I imagine they'll look into trying soon.

Talented girls in the 14-16 range have to delay 2-4 years to compete with "adult" players. And when they finally get to the post-secondary level the age band of competitors is 4-5 years and not 20, and you're not training and playing with professionals. And the playing season is two months and not eight.

I don't know how you turn that gargantuan dinosaur on a dime, but I imagine they'll look into trying soon.

Simple the CSA mandates open age competitions to not have any age restrictions, so no banning of a player under 16 playing women's recreational or competitive soccer.

Solves your not used to playing against adults in one simple systemic ruling within the power of the CSA to mandate.

As to seasons, the leagues can operate from March 1, starting indoors playing 11 aside in the various domes then outdoors as of May 15 to October, then back indoors till December 15 gives you an eight and half month season s playing 11 aside.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else see this clip of Herdman against Ireland? A little shocking! 

https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Sw212Zkcu4

I did see this and was not impressed with Herman's gamemanship. He should just concentrate on coaching.   If he has any guts at all, he would have phased out veterans like Baxter, Moscato etc and just go with youngsters like Eurike, Quinn, Shardosky  etc by now.  I do have to give him credit for bringing in Buchanan and Yekka.  The senior team also lacks pace in the final third.  Perhaps converting Yekka to a striker may not be such a bad idea at all.

I did see this and was not impressed with Herman's gamemanship. He should just concentrate on coaching.   If he has any guts at all, he would have phased out veterans like Baxter, Moscato etc and just go with youngsters like Eurike, Quinn, Shardosky  etc by now.  I do have to give him credit for bringing in Buchanan and Yekka.  The senior team also lacks pace in the final third.  Perhaps converting Yekka to a striker may not be such a bad idea at all.

Yekka when she played for Brams United she was a midfield/forward.  I think she could give a new life to Herdman's half defunct forward line.

Archived