Voyageurs Men's International Player of the Year, 2013

Lord Bob

There is simply no proof that Bernier did not get called and was too busy with the Impact, or the Impact did not want to let him go. But either way, it's a null point, as he wouldn't have had the votes either way. Anyway, if the argument is to continue we should start a new thread for it, it's hard enough to tally the votes even with the odd comment :) Thing is W. Johnson almost definitely turned down multiple calls to Canada this year, so that's where the argument really could start. But again, that's for a diff thread.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, there is.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/sports-soccer/story/1.1317249

"Miller also said no to the 33-year-old Bernier, who is playing well for the Montreal Impact. Miller called it "an age thing.""

That's per the Canadian Press.

No, I did know that he didn't get the call for the Gold Cup, that was very well documented, and lends to the idea that he probably didn't get the call for the full year, but it is the full year I am talking about. Again, irrelevant, I think. I don't think Bernier would have won the vote.

No, I did know that he didn't get the call for the Gold Cup, that was very well documented, and lends to the idea that he probably didn't get the call for the full year, but it is the full year I am talking about. Again, irrelevant, I think. I don't think Bernier would have won the vote.

It is not irrelevant. Bernier may very well have won the vote had he not gotten injured half way through the season. Except that he would not have been eligible while Johnson who as you mentioned has turned down several call ups would be. I am not complaining about Johnson missing the games he did either because they were friendlies and his team was in the playoffs but it still seems unfair that a guy who made himself eligible for selection is disqualified while someone who turned down selections wins the award. And the point is not to bitch about Bernier this year, the point is to show that this very well could have happened and should not happen in the future to another player. In my opinion players who are already capped for Canada, who want to play for Canada and who are not selected for reasons not of their own making should be eligible for the award.

And on another related point, Bernier was and still is sitting on 49 caps and was coming off an outstanding season when we were playing Denmark where he played for several years and we do not call him while selecting a bunch of younger but not really deserving of selection players and get our ass kicked in the game. How classless was that of Miller/CSA? Do we think other players don't notice stuff like that? For a country that bitches about Canadians not playing for us we at the very least should be trying to show players that they get treated well playing in our program.

Congratulations to Will Johnson, Voyageurs 2013 Men's International Player of the Year!

Final Results

Will Johnson: 42 1st, 6 2nd, 2 3rd - 230 points

Atiba Hutchinson: 7 1st, 16 2nd, 7 3rd - 90 points

Jonathan Osorio: 1 1st, 11 2nd, 13 3rd - 51 points

Russell Teibert: 1 1st, 8 2nd, 13 3rd - 42 points

David Edgar: 1 1st, 3 2nd, 3 3rd - 17 points

Kenny Stamatopoulos: 3 2nd, 4 3rd - 13 points

Milan Borjan: 1 2nd, 2 3rd - 5 points

Dwayne De Rosario: 1 2nd - 3 points

Kyle Porter: 1 2nd - 3 points

Marcus Haber: 2 3rd - 2 points

Tosaint Ricketts: 2 3rd - 2 points