Mark Watson head coach San Jose

Yohan

Good to see. He really turned their season around. In the last 2 months they have given up only 2 draws, with no losses. LA & the Caps were the only teams to get a point out of them in September and October. Going to be interesting to see what he can do with a full preseason.

• 2 years later...
On July 8, 2016 at 0:47 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Too bad he was such an asshole, sorry to say. Don't know if he is any better, probably is, but never liked the guy, he was a bad apple from what I could see in the CMNT mix.

Had the pleasure of interviewing him twice. Seemed genuine, forthcoming, honest, and friendly. No idea what he's like outside of the interview context to be fair, and my memory of the 90s is too fuzzy to recall which Canadian players I thought were jerks and which ones not. Seems to me I thought they were all superstar hero giant killers :)

The team reminded me of early carnations of TFC, giving up too many goals or goals late in matches and dropping points as a result.  Not surprised they opted for a change, considering some of the attacking pieces they have in place.

I wonder what's next for Watson?

19 hours ago, rob.notenboom said:

Had the pleasure of interviewing him twice. Seemed genuine, forthcoming, honest, and friendly. No idea what he's like outside of the interview context to be fair, and my memory of the 90s is too fuzzy to recall which Canadian players I thought were jerks and which ones not. Seems to me I thought they were all superstar hero giant killers :)

My opinion is probably biased, so I won't go into it. It was said that Watson was one of the players that made life difficult for Radzinski, essentially trying to get him ostracized from what I recall, and he did this with other players as well. He played sides. And tended to be in his little clique promoting who was in and who should not be in for the MNT. I suppose for his guys, for the little group around him who thought they were the deserving ones, he is great, and I get the sense he has been one of the most arrogant pricks to put on our shirt in recent decades-- he was there to make sure his little idea of what the team was supposed to be like won the day. Unfortunately, not all our coaches had the character to tell him to behave professionally, shut up, screw off and play football.

But hey, I am probably totally biased and probably have forgotten what I was told personally by CMNT players and have probably confused Watson with someone else. I am not going to bother to correct myself, since he is thankfully no longer anywhere near our NT mix he can go coach elephant soccer in Bangladesh for all I care.

Archived