Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

I  hope   Sam  decides   to  play  for  Canada,  Right now   I  would  rate  him  De  jong  and  The  Much  Improved  Morgan     as our   top   LBs. 

I don't see him not playing for Canada. England has enough class full backs. 

Adekugbe's played for Canada at every level for which he's been eligible. He chased his Canadian passport so he could play for us. He just accepted a call to our senior national team and had to pull out due to an injury that everyone thought was more serious than it wound up being. Don't lose a moment's sleep over him turning Hargreaves on us.

Adekugbe's played for Canada at every level for which he's been eligible. He chased his Canadian passport so he could play for us. He just accepted a call to our senior national team and had to pull out due to an injury that everyone thought was more serious than it wound up being. Don't lose a moment's sleep over him turning Hargreaves on us.

This is how I felt about Begovic

I can't see Tissot being in the mix for the LB spot, he'll be in the mix for a LW spot though.

He'll be a LW for sure but his ability to play LB as well means we definitely won't/shouldn't see Morgan, Adekugbe and De Jong called.

Agreed that Tissot is more of a LW at this point but his ability to fill in as an emergency LB will lead to a consistent selection I think.

As long as Adekugbe is holding down that starting spot and playing well, I believe he'll continue to be called. Quite pleased at how he's started the season so far and how he's been a part of Vancouvers red-hot start.

I think De Jong's spot is fairly secure at this point, but I'd really like to see him clean it up on the defensive end with SKC. He should have put a stamp on that spot by now, as he's a better footballer than Sinovic in all aspects (but endurance), despite only showing it in flashes so far. He should still be our starting LB, but I'd feel better once he's putting in complete preformances in Kansas.

Morgan remains a question mark for me. He's looked decent recently but I don't think he is better than Morrow - and if he's not better than Morrow he's not starting once TFC's centrebacks return from injury. That leaves him on the bench and not playing and with Sam playing so with the Caps he's looking like the odd man out. I can't see all four getting selclected unless de Jong and Tissot are both vying for the LW spot. Even then I am not quite sure...

Wait you don't want adekugbe and de jong in the squad? Or not the 4 of those combined?

Not the 4 combined.  I think Tissot is backup LW  and since he can play LB there is no point in selecting two of Morgan/Adekugbe.

I think over the years Morgan has gotten plenty of MNT call ups.  He has had hot and cold streaks like this for years, lets see if his game has really progressed and he can be consistent and keep it together for an entire season.  Give Adekugbe have a shot as De Jong's back up.  The nervous nelly in me says cap him in the Gold cup, just in case England is sniffing around. 

I think over the years Morgan has gotten plenty of MNT call ups.  He has had hot and cold streaks like this for years, lets see if his game has really progressed and he can be consistent and keep it together for an entire season.  Give Adekugbe have a shot as De Jong's back up.  The nervous nelly in me says cap him in the Gold cup, just in case England is sniffing around. 

England wouldn't call Jermain Defoe from MLS, I think we're safe with Sam. 

I wonder if Floro has JGL ahead of both Adekugbe and Morgan at LB though.  We may not see either called if that's the case.

• 1 year later...

In a recent interview, Adekugbe mentioned that his exit from the game against Fulham U-23 was precautionary, nothing serious:

http://www.rednationonline.ca/Articles2016/Adekugbetransitioningintocontributorat.aspx

"It was more of a precaution," a relieved Adekugbe said. "It's nothing too serious, thank god. I think it's just a kind of an accumulation of everything that's gone on in the past month. Joining at pre-season, playing in different competitive matches and involved in different groups. There's also a reality check to stay humble and stay with my head down, but it's nothing too serious, I should be back next week. I'm not too worried about it, I'm disappointed, but it's not the end of the world."

• 4 months later...

Made his league debut by going 90' in Brighton's 2-0 loss to Preston North End. Didn't catch the game but Brighton supporters are giving him decent reviews. Sounds like he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart and only played out of necessity. Regardless, earning a start for a team that's challenging for premier league promotion is huge for him at this stage.  

Looks like Adekugbe wants his loan deal with Brighton to be made permanent.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/15032271.On_loan_Albion_defender_targets_permanent_deal/

He told The Argus: “I think everyone knows that I want to play in England.

“I’ve said before that England is football, football is England.

“I wouldn’t lie and say I wouldn’t want to be here.

“I don’t want to disrespect my club back in Vancouver but everyone knows my ambitions and that is to be in England.”

Archived