Sam Adekugbe

Dub Narcotic

Looked damned good last night. Very long loping stride kind of running with the ball under control. Covers a lot of ground while not appearing to move that fast. You notice it when he makes his moves and cuts. The forwards and mids trying to cover him just end up a step behind. After the game interview was funny. Couldn't get the smile off his face.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/video/2013/10/27/oct-27-sam-adekugbe-post-match

Thought he was alright in his first game, but needs seasoning. Reminds me of Ashton Morgan a fair amount (for better or worse).

I think he's far more intelligent and better technically when going forward than Morgan. Defensively, I'd have to agree. Not uncommon for a young player. I think the key will be to get him a proper mentor, as Jordan Harvey just doesn't cut it.

I think he's far more intelligent and better technically when going forward than Morgan. Defensively, I'd have to agree. Not uncommon for a young player. I think the key will be to get him a proper mentor, as Jordan Harvey just doesn't cut it.

Y.P Lee will practice with the team next year once a week. I think he is a good enough mentor ;)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Interesting notes on Sam from Marc Weber:

Adekugbe’s Big Adventure

Would have been fun to be a fly on the wall this week as the calls went back and forth between the Caps and CSA. Sam Adekugbe was called up for Canada. He was set to remain in Orlando after last Saturday’s game and see time (we assume) in a couple of friendlies. Instead, he was clattered by Donovan Ricketts, left the game on a stretcher, went straight to hospital, and was presumed to have, at the very best, severely bruised ribs. By Tuesday we knew x-rays had been negative. He was at training, watching with a wrap and ice around his chest. Wednesday they were off. Thursday he didn’t do much. Friday, when no one was around because it was a 5 p.m. practice, he apparently trained. Then, boom, he’s in the starting lineup Saturday, much to everyone’s surprise.

There’s a lot here that makes sense. If you left the game like Adekugbe did in Orlando, there’s just no way you’re sticking around. You’re coming home to get treated by your club’s medical staff. And then, even if he knew by mid-week he’d be fine, there’s no way you’re flying back out to Florida to join camp late, if that was even an option.

But there’s also more to this story because the whispers are that the Caps and CSA were at odds over the Adekugbe call-up to start with. It’s a fascinating one. When Canada calls, should you go, no questions asked? Or would Adekugbe, who just broke into the Caps starting eleven, be better served by having a run of games with his club and establishing himself in MLS? Is that completely understandable, especially considering these were friendlies against Guatemala and Puerto Rico?

There’s a couple more layers here, too, because Adekugbe’s absolutely a player with an eye on Europe and this is a club that is ready to transfer a young player or two at the right price. The more Adekugbe starts in MLS and the better he does, the faster that happens. The more he’s away, in theory, the longer that might take because it disrupts his rhythm here.

And then there’s the fact Adekugbe was born in London and grew up in Manchester before his family moved to Calgary. Is he even fully committed to Canada’s senior team? If there’s even the slightest thought in his head that he’ll be playing in England sooner than later, and FA staff over there will have an eye on him, it would be natural to be conflicted.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/03/29/whitecaps-post-game-hat-trick-ousted-to-the-rescue-earnshaw-for-the-win-and-how-about-that-flores/

Adekugbe switching to England is laughable.  At best he could play some matches for their U21 side but then he would ruin his international career as he would be done with Canada.

It was the right move by all parties to keep him with the Caps, this is an important stretch for him.

Without sounding disrespectful, adekugbe would have a long way to go before being at a level to play for England. And there is a masive queue of leftbacks that England could currently call upon. I swear I've posted or thought this before but if he ends up as good as an average leftback in the Championship, he will be a very important player for Canada.

Adekugbe for England? Okay then, perhaps the writer of the blog hasn't heard of Luke Shaw, 19 year old LB for Manchester United...

I'm as surprised as any that Adekugbe played yesterday but from his interview it sounds like he only started to recover on Friday. A complete non story IMO

Even I... even I... don't think there's anything fishy in the Adekugbe situation. His guts and recovery caught everyone by surprise. At the time the decision had to be made there was no reason to believe he could play for anybody last weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Another strong start for Whitecaps' Adekugbe. Great pace on the left, whipped in 5 or 6 serious crosses and was offensively dangerous all night vs Columbus. Should be at least a bench player for Canada. Can add instant offense. 

Agreed, he is looking good although Ashtone Morgan has also looked pretty good so far as well.  I suspect only one of them will be called unless De Jong/Tissot are injured.

Archived