Second year team in MLS scores 5, against Houston leads Eastern Conference....

Trillium

Montreal in its second year in MLS sits in first in the Eastern Conference late in season. Rumours are MLSE is looking for new coach from the Swiss league to come in an take over for Nelson in Toronto. "We tried the Dutch style, we tried the English style, we tried the Highland way, its clear the next big thing is the Swiss way" said a anonymous Toronto source, "we have feelers out to Swatch we think we can give out a TFC swatch watch to to our season ticket holders instead of a new jersey, the focus group really liked the concept drawings of the swatch face with Danny Dichios first TFC goal.

TFC finding news ways to sell Kook Aid.... in 2014.

Interesting result for Montreal, as it appeared that they were beginning a downward spiral which could have threatened their playoff chances. But last night was a statement game for them: they won't be fading away.

I wonder about Montreal's coach though. I could see him being replaced even if Montreal is successful. His antics are getting tiresome and its a little embarrassing.

I don't know if this thread was intended to actually discuss the match, but yesterday's result was the sort of thing that can happen when Ferrari is solid and Nesta has a fountain-of-youth game. With the midfield less concerned about defending, the team can go all out on the counter. Once Montreal has the lead they become very dangerous.

Despite the 5 goals, Nesta was my MOTM from yesterday. I don't think that is something they can necessarily count on happening every match.

Another point: Despite how often Di Vaio goes offside, I don't think playing the offside trap as your lone defensive strategy works so well against Montreal. Not sure what Kinnear was thinking.

Edit: I should also mention that Bernardello helps enormously on the defensive side of things, and frees up Bernier to do his thing. They don't really have another defensive midfielder on the roster.

Interesting result for Montreal, as it appeared that they were beginning a downward spiral which could have threatened their playoff chances. But last night was a statement game for them: they won't be fading away.

I wonder about Montreal's coach though. I could see him being replaced even if Montreal is successful. His antics are getting tiresome and its a little embarrassing.

Not sure who you think is embarassed ... seriously you might be agitated on the sidelines, but the reality is most coaches in other countries get away with much more then coaches in MLS are allowed to say / do on sidelines, its the referees being pedantic that gets coaches tossed when all is needed is some firm words.

Its meh.. situation he will adjust.

I doubt his players are hiding their heads in shame, and I know most fans are not.

I don't know if this thread was intended to actually discuss the match, but yesterday's result was the sort of thing that can happen when Ferrari is solid and Nesta has a fountain-of-youth game. With the midfield less concerned about defending, the team can go all out on the counter. Once Montreal has the lead they become very dangerous.

Despite the 5 goals, Nesta was my MOTM from yesterday. I don't think that is something they can necessarily count on happening every match.

Another point: Despite how often Di Vaio goes offside, I don't think playing the offside trap as your lone defensive strategy works so well against Montreal. Not sure what Kinnear was thinking.

Edit: I should also mention that Bernardello helps enormously on the defensive side of things, and frees up Bernier to do his thing. They don't really have another defensive midfielder on the roster.

Bernardello is the key here, and is looking to be an excellent DP. He brings some bite to the midfield, is always available as an outlet and option going the other way. Some of his switches are jaw dropping. Seems like NDS guessed right in both DP's. These are the guys that are going to be difference makers.

This was both our best game in a long time and our best coached game in a long time. While I am sure Schallibaum had an influence on preparing the team it has to be said that during our best coached game in 2 months he was not on the bench. I am still not completely convinced that Schalibaum is anything other than a mediocre coach who walked into a good situation. Other than the fact that as a veteran European coach the older Italian guys respect him more than they did Marsch I am still not sure we are a better coached team than we were last year. And equally as the 6-0 against TFC was nice but did not erase the B team 2-0 disgrace in Toronto, this result does not make me forget how we disrespected both our opposition and the Champions League in general on Wednesday. And if DiViao needs to be rested to such an extent that we could not even bring him to sit on the bench in Guatemala in case we needed a goal, why did he stay in the game for another 15 minutes when it was already 4-0 and Houston was frustrated and getting chippy?

I watched it and after it was 3-0 the announcers stopped talking about the "rivalry". Too funny. Not much of a rival when you blow their doors off 5-0. Some of the players may be getting on in years but damn when they are on they are scary.

I actually like a coach who leads his team in red cards. It has more to do with crap officiating in MLS than anything else.

.............. why did he stay in the game for another 15 minutes when it was already 4-0 and Houston was frustrated and getting chippy?

I was concerned about this too....plus giving Paponi more time would have been the right move. Mauro gets his first win without having to make adjustments.

With Trillium its usually about trolling. I tried to change the direction of the thread and it seemed to work.

Of course your changing of the thread... might just be there are only folks interested in the Impact reading the forums since the air seems of have gone out of TFC and its Nelson experiment .... never the less..... Labour day weekend in Philly.... to watch the Union.. should be fun.

Since you seem to have come to support the Impact now narduch you should head south to see the Impact play.

It seems a little too easy to think that Impact head coach Marco Schällibaum reacted badly to the dangerous aerial tackle by D.C. United’s James Riley on his midfielder Justin Mapp in a 2-1 victory at Stade Saputo two weeks ago.

However, for the guys in the locker room, nothing is farther from the truth.

“When something like that happens the way it did to Justin in the D.C. game, you react like it’s your friend, your teammate or your family and you forget that as a coach, you have to stay in your box,” said Impact captain Davy Arnaud. “Players appreciate how Marco has their backs. You can see it in the way that he coaches, in training. He’s passionate about what he does and he is a winner. For me personally, I think it’s a great quality to have in a coach.”

The locker room dynamic is one of family. It’s a tightly knit group and each guy is ready to do battle for the guy sitting next to them. Their coach is the first guy in line.

“Marco [schällibaum] is the leader of our group,” added Hassoun Camara. “He gives us instructions and leads us. That’s not just with his words. We saw that when he came to Justin’s defence. It shows how much he cares about his players and wants to protect us. When you know you have a coach like that, you want to perform even better for him.”

http://www.impactmontreal.com/en/news/2013/08/players-support-schaellibaum-it-shows-how-much-he-cares-about-his-players

Like I said, it shows he actually gives a ****.

Archived