Mallan Roberts - CanMNT?

ThiKu

Hey guys,

was watching the FCEd game on Sunday and the TV guys were talking about how the CanMNT is very interested in Mallan Roberts. They added he will be eligible for Canada "Very soon."

Anyone have more info on this? His current eligibility is Sierra Leone.

Is he a CanMNT-calibre prospect?

I did a quick search on this web site for "Mallan Roberts" and without reading an off-season thread for FCEd I didn't see anything mentioned on him.

He was born in Sierra Leone but moved to Edmonton as a teenager. With the FCE Reserves last year he was one guy who absolutely everyone was talking about, and I've seem him good-if-very-raw in his appearances this year on TV and in person. I'd certainly keep my eye on him for the national team.

Interesting wiki info on this guy. Seems to be a natural athlete as he took up American Football in high school after fleeing from Sierra Leone to Edmonton. In a short time he progressed in the sport as far as training with the Edmonton Eskimos.

Yeah, the kid is quite a specimen. He's getting more playing time this year than I had expected, due to the fact that Carlyle Mitchell was recalled by the Whitecaps. Anyone who has dealt with him seems really high on his potential. I got the impression that Miller might have even taken him to the Gold Cup if his citizenship had been sorted out, for what that's worth :)

Yeah I've been talking about him for a while. He was supposed to have gotten his Canadian Passport in July but I'm not sure exactly what happened with that. He's lived in Canada quite some time. At the time I last judged this guy, I said he had a lot of similarities to Henry...prone to rash challenges, etc...

But absolutely, he's a bit of a beast, and I think he definitely, without question, has the potential to be in the CMNT pool. In terms of pure potential, probably more so than any other Eddy.

I'll second the thoughts that he's in the same mold as Doneil Henry; big, strong and physical. He needs to reign in the physical side of things but he is getting good minutes alongside Watson right now. He was burned by Camilo in the V Cup during his first pro appearance which provided the PK for the tying goal.

Archived